Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Steering wheel rocks back and forth - brakes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel rocks back and forth - brakes

Good morning guys and gals! So I just rebuilt my entire brake system, and I have 2 issues with which I could use some experienced advice on!

I bought slotted discs, caliper seals, ss lines, Ferodo pads, motul 600 fluid, and had the calipers powder coated. I have since auto crossed the car, driven to and from work, ect. The issues I'm having are as follows:

1) When I go to apply the brakes, the steering wheel will rock back and forth. Not like when you have warped rotors(obviously this isn't the case) but it does move left and right. I don't believe its sticking, bc when sitting on any kind of incline if I release the brakes the car will roll normally. I'm going to take the calipers back off this week because I have a few days off, just wanted to see if this had happened to anyone else, and what to look for.

2) I can NOT seem to get the remaining air out of the system, myself and other evo owners have bled them perfectly in sequence 4 times, and there is still about 1/2" to an inch of pedal travel before they begin to grab. I have read online where this can be a daunting task.

Any help is appreciated!
Old Jun 30, 2014, 07:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Just throwing this out there

Have read that the ABS valve body should be bled as well. I have an RS so I dont have first hand experience

EDIT: Heres a Stop Tech white paper on the bleed procedure w/ABS

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...-brake-systems

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Jun 30, 2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Did you properly bed the pads?
Also get yourself a power bleeder. I had the same issue with pedal travel being weird and I bleed all my brakes in the proper order. Bought a power bleeder, and wow..... alot more air than what I thought was in there, and I mean ALOT. I bet your pedal doesn't modulate correctly right now or operate smoothly haha
Old Jul 1, 2014, 03:04 AM

The motive power bleeder? While researching I saw where a few people used one of these. So it's worth the $60 huh? If a few more people chime in with their experience using one I might just invest!

As far as I know, I properly bedded them, as per the instructions found online. My buddy found them and did this to his, his work fine. I would like to know some of the symptoms of improperly bedded pads, i'll look into that on my lunch break today.

So...i'm wondering if an improperly installed piston/seal could be the culprit...I mean I know it COULD be...but I would think if this were the case i'd be losing a significant amount of fluid...also if the piston isn't lined up correctly, and wasn't sliding like it should, wouldn't the car be pulling one way or the other each time I engaged the brakes?

Among other things i've learned whilst owning an EVO, working on the brakes is one GIANT PAIN IN THE REAR! ALL AROUND! Haha...rebuilding them pretty much blows(had fun almost cross threading the bleeders and fluid line that connects each side of the front caliper), bleeding them blows, what the hell EVO!

With that being said, I still love my car, and would like very much to resolve this issue.

Last edited by ProjExtremis; Jul 1, 2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:03 AM

By the way...

I have searched around and have yet to find any videos of anyone using the Motive power bleeder on an EVO. I'm sure the videos that do exist where they demonstrate this special tool on other random cars will work as far as education, but it would still be nice to actually see someone use one on the car that I actually have.

With that being said, my part time job/hobby is videography, and some of the work i've done thus far on my Evolution i've recorded. Eventually when I have enough material, I'll probably open up another section on my Youtube channel and post all these vids, including the power bleeder one.

Just throwing that out there for whoever reads this thread in the future. I'll be sure to link my Youtube channel here if I do end up using the bleeder and it solves my air issue.

Last edited by ProjExtremis; Jul 1, 2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

I don't have an evo lol but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.... I did the brembo swap on my galant and I just used a harbor freight power bleeder. Worked fine no problems.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 11:01 AM

So, my buddy and I removed the front right caliper just to see what could be going on. We found that some of the pistons are not sliding in and out like they should. What are some causes of this, and how do I fix it? I totally cleaned them up by hand, each and every piston. What could cause it to be such a tight fit that they can't move in and out?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:27 AM

Nobody knows how to work on brembos?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by ProjExtremis
Nobody knows how to work on brembos?
The piston/seal might need to be replaced or have the caliper rebuilt all together. I'd assume that there is some kind of wear/gunk/damage to the piston or one of the calipers components.

How do all of the other pistons behave on the car?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 08:10 PM

It has to be, right? I plan on taking them all off this week, and testing to see if the pistons slide in and out properly. I will update. Should I be able to drive the piston back inside its hole buy using just my fingers? How hard should this be to do? This seems different than the standard calipers Ive worked on before. I seem to remember being able to push them in by hand on my eclipse and Honda in the past, though that was years ago.