Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

race tires or stay with Stock Advans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
race tires or stay with Stock Advans

Ok, I just started autocrossing this year (been twice so far) and I have noticed that people are switching out their stock tires for race tires. I was wondering how helpful this really is?

I plan to do most of the autocross events this year as well as attend a couple DE Track events. My question is do I need track tires or would I benefit that much from getting a set?

The tires I have been looking at are:
Yokohama A032 R
Kumho VictoRacer v700

Are these tires that much better than our stock Advans?
Does anyone have experience with either one? Any recommendations? Should I just stick with my Advans?

thanks for the help,
-Doug
Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Will you be driving to and from the track on the same tires, or switch them out once at the track? If you just want one set for multi use, it would be best to hang onto the stock Advans. You could drive the A032R in the hard compound to the track, but you wont get a lot of miles on them driving every day.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

I have not decided if I would drive there on the same tires or not but since most of my events are within a hour drive some within 10 minutes it is definatley a possibility.

If I understand it right i could drive to the track with both the Yokohama A032 R and the Kumho VictoRacer v700. Is that correct??? Also if I cna drive on them to the track are they really that much better than the Stock A046. I would still keep the A046's on for my every day tire but may choose to change to one of the above at home and then drive to the track or I could change them at the track I guess, but having the option is nice.

Is there another tire I should consider? Are the above two the best? Are any of them really that much better than the stock one?

Thanks for your help Neal
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:12 PM

Yes they will help ALOT. I'd go with the kumhos for auto-x. They don't need to be warmed up to perform like the yokos do. Or you could drive in the new STU class where everyone will be on street tires.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

I have been reading about Toyo RA-1 ties as well. How do you all feel about thses compared to the Yoko and the Kumho?

del105,

So you are saying that any of these tires will be a BIG difference than my stock Advans? My main question is if the tires above would be that much better than my stock tires. I feel that the a046's have great grip already. So I am trying to figure out if I should just stick with them or get something else. Oh - I also plan to track the car a couple times this year as well.

-Doug
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

If you are new to autox. I would stick with stock tires for a least a season or two. What happen is r compound give you a lot of grip and cover up a lot of driving error and mistake. You will be able to learn a lot more of how your car behave with stock tires. Happy Autoxing
Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe I should just get another set of a046's then? I have been reading that they grip almost as good as the A032's and they have a longer tread life and are much more quiet on the road.

I know that will all the autoxing and track days combined with driving on these tires every day I am going to need another set of tires. The question is do I get the a032's and use them mostly for track duty and maybe drive to and from the track on them or do I just get another set of a046's.

Any suggestions??? Are the two really that close in performance?

thanks,
-Doug
Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

If you want one of the best tires for autocross. super grip and very lightweight Hoosier A3S03.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Without question, the Hoosiers rule; however, I would stick with the Advans, they are the closest to r-compound you can buy. There are always a set or 2 in the private classifieds.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

If I were you I'd stick with the stock tires. They are a great all around tire. I autox'ed all last year on stock Yokos and I was always at the top of my class in ESP against cars with race tires. You WILL turn better times with a race tire..but there are trade-offs. The RA1's are a better Solo I road racing type tire...more than an autox tire. You could drive to the track just fine with either RA1's or Victoracers.
I wouldn't buy the A032R for autox.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Running Hoosiers for a starter?? Come on guys this is not a good advise.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 01:34 PM

run the stock tires for a few events and decide how fast you wanna go,and how badly you're wearing them out.the stock tires are good open track tires with a 160 tread wear rating.But they won't be the quickest for Autocross.Kumho 710s are the latest hot tire,but aren't available in a size for the EVO yet.They have a treadwear rating of 30!!!!So you be the judge.Hoosiers are the other quick autocross tire the s04's are the hot ones.How fast do ya wanna go!
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks to everyone for your opinions. I am thinking about staying with the stock tries or getting the Kumho VictoRacer. They are very cheep compared to the rest and I am told they are good tires.

I do really like my stock Advans but with all the autoxing and the couple track events I am sure that I will wear them out. So I will need to replace them or get a different tire to run at those events to spare my Advans.

Most of the advice seems to be leaning to just using the stock Advans and then replacing them when they wear out. That is probably what I will end up doing.

thanks again for all the help.
-Doug
Old Mar 16, 2004, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

A wise (very fast) man once told me that until I was overdriving my stock tires, suspension, or whatever, don't bother upgrading. I'm guessing the stock Yok's would have been good for another second or so by the time I ran on Sunday. I don't think I could have gone much faster on the Sumitomos, maybe 3 or 4 tenths. Until your skill level exceeds the part in question, you're not fast enough. Hence the reason I have done no suspension or tire upgrades yet. The car is still above my skill level stock. I picked up a set of used Yoks for the middle of the summer when my original set should be just about done. When I can push them consistently over the edge with *good* driving, then I'll replace them with Kumho's or Hoosier's.

See what other guys (like me) are running on their stock tired cars and compare times. That would be a good barometer of where you're at.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by 992gnt
A wise (very fast) man once told me that until I was overdriving my stock tires, suspension, or whatever, don't bother upgrading...Until your skill level exceeds the part in question, you're not fast enough.
That's great advice. One of the main reasons some driving students plateau at a certain level is they start upgrading the car (raising it's limits) before consistently pushing that limit.

By definition, you are fastest when you're right at the limit. If you keep raising that limit before you get there, you never get to fully explore it and develop a comfort level. Once you are confident, comfortable, and controlled at a specific limit, you can go faster by raising the limit. This is how your driving skill level improves in small steps.

If you try to get faster by upgrading your car, you'll become stagnant at a specific level of driving skill. Soon, you'll get frustrated and bored. Next thing you know, you'll be selling your Evo and buying an S4 because you've had your fill of performance driving and are now ready to switch off your brain and cruise.

Emre