Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Strut Lower Mounting Bolts to Knuckle Stuck

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut Lower Mounting Bolts to Knuckle Stuck

So I'm trying to replace my struts on a 2003 Evo 8 it's got about 145,000 miles and finally need to replace the old KYBs with some MR Bilsteins. Anyhow the passenger side went fine but now trying to remove the driver side strut. The 2x 19mm nuts that hold the bolts to the knuckle will not come off.
I’ve impacted the thing for at least 10-15 minutes and used PB Blaster but still nothing. It’s starting to round off and I’m not sure what to do now. I know I can’t remove it by trying to get the bolt off so should I just cut the nut off and with what? It’s such a large sized bolt I don’t think a nut splitter would work…
Old Jan 6, 2015, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Hmmm I've never had issues with that nut. Why is it rounding off? Are you using an impact socket? Im not positive but IIRC the bolts for the front struts are 19mm and the rears were 17mm...Im guessing you are using the right size socket...I'd recommend you keep spraying PB blaster and be patient. Oh and make sure you are impacting the nut not the bolt. If all else fails you should be able to torch it no problem but then you will probably have to look into replacing that bushing. just be patent. The torque spec is like ~70ft/lbs so there must be some rust on there that keeping it from separating....
Old Jan 6, 2015, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Yea it's the nut that I am impacting with the correct size socket I'm not sure why it started rounding off. I change the direction to tightening and it moves the nut slightly so I'm thinking it's seized up on the threads of the bolt that it is attached to
Old Jan 6, 2015, 08:02 AM

Have you tried using a breaker bar bar and a socket combo? With enough length and leverage it "should" come off. Cutting the nut with a metal cutting disc and a chisel to finally pop it off is another idea. I think the torque spec on that nut is 123 ft lbs.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If you have a good impact and are doing short bursts instead of holding the trigger and its still not breaking free you need to find another way to break free of the rust. You could always try a really long breaker bar like ^ mentioned and see if that does the trick.

Personally I'd continue to spray penetrating oil and give it some time to seep in there. Or if you are careful torch the nut and it should pop right off. The torque spec isnt the issue but rather the rust. But FWIW the spec is not 123ft/lbs that's for the front; it's more like 70 ft/bs on that nut as well as where the LCA attaches to the spindle...think its like 65 +/- 7 to be exact. I've swapped my suspension way too many times
Old Feb 12, 2015, 07:28 PM

Not to hijack this thread but I felt this was a good place. I'm in the process of raising my car back up and I can't get these bolts out either. However, it appears the previous owner put the top "chamber" bolt with the arrow in the bottom bolt hole. I can't get the thing loose, tried breaker bar, hammer, impact, kroil. I will try an electric impact next and then heat, but the cv boot is right there.