Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Too many tire choices. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too many tire choices. Need help!

Hello,

I can not decide between these tire choices. Every review I find seem to be a great review for all the tires.

Hankook Ventus R-S3 version 2
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 R

I will be running 255/35/18. I live in northern Italy and the roads are bumpy. I will be doing mountain and highway driving, and it rains here off an on. I am looking for a good summer tire that really sticks and doesn't have a ton of road noise. I wont be doing any track days. HP should be round 500. Thank you for your patients and opinions!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you aren't doing track days, you probably will not notice much difference in any of them on the street. I am personally a fan of the Dunlop Z2 (not on your list but same category). They stick very well and have great wear and tread life.

I'd tell you shop on price and tread wear. The only real difference in these is going to be what you see on track, and even that would be somewhat difficult to tell them apart.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by blockade35
If you aren't doing track days, you probably will not notice much difference in any of them on the street. I am personally a fan of the Dunlop Z2 (not on your list but same category). They stick very well and have great wear and tread life.

I'd tell you shop on price and tread wear. The only real difference in these is going to be what you see on track, and even that would be somewhat difficult to tell them apart.

^^^
agreed

I have Advan's on mine which are a good weekend road/track tyre, I would def not be using these for a DD in the wet or on a cold wet day going through the mountains, they need some heat to work right.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Stay away form the Dunlop for daily use, they're loud. I like my RE11's..
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run the re11 it is quiet and works well in the rain. I run autocross with them and they seem to work well. The reason I didn't go with the z2 is they are noisy
Old Apr 29, 2015, 01:39 PM

I've had the Advans for DD and put 25K on them over the past 4 years, mostly highway with spirited corners on back roads. Below 50 degrees and they're slippery and really shouldn't be used for DD, in the rain above 70 is ok but anything under they are awful. Most expensive tire out of the bunch as well. This is on my 8 with 360hp, stock turbo still. They have excellent grip in dry conditions however I need new tires now and I will not be going Advans.

For my Stock 14 X I just purchased Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R, Newest tire available which is replacing the RE011. I chose this over the R-s3 because the RE011 is a quieter tire according peoples reviews and it's basically the same price. These arrived today and are being mounted on Rs505s tomorrow. As others have stated you wont notice a difference in DD speeds on any of the tires and until the re71s are tested for longevity the R-S3s have the best mileage according to reviews.
Old May 2, 2015, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Go with the bridgestones. Best all around tire without trackuse from that list.
Old May 2, 2015, 10:24 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
i run the Hankook on my track wheels. they grip like crazy, but wear really fast and i don't think i'd want to daily them. i don't remember them being very noisy to/from the events, though. the sidewalls are a bit on the softer side so may make for a more comfortable drive? they seem to do decent in the winter for me, though our winters here are pretty mild (central ca).
if you don't care about wear, then i'd say they may work for ya. on the bright side: they are cheap. even cheaper is the Federal 595.
the RE71R is said to wear even faster, though grips better. i'm still waiting to hear back from those that are trying them out.

out of curiosity, these tires are just shy of an r-comp. why would you want to use such an aggressive tire for daily driving?
Old May 2, 2015, 05:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
i run the Hankook on my track wheels. they grip like crazy, but wear really fast and i don't think i'd want to daily them. i don't remember them being very noisy to/from the events, though. the sidewalls are a bit on the softer side so may make for a more comfortable drive? they seem to do decent in the winter for me, though our winters here are pretty mild (central ca).
if you don't care about wear, then i'd say they may work for ya. on the bright side: they are cheap. even cheaper is the Federal 595.
the RE71R is said to wear even faster, though grips better. i'm still waiting to hear back from those that are trying them out.

out of curiosity, these tires are just shy of an r-comp. why would you want to use such an aggressive tire for daily driving?

Because they stick. Makes the commute more fun..
Old May 3, 2015, 07:30 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Because they stick. Makes the commute more fun..
this is true. if i had a few $Ks to spend on tires each year, i'd do the same.
Old May 4, 2015, 01:12 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
this is true. if i had a few $Ks to spend on tires each year, i'd do the same.

The z2's I had on my car lasted a year, almost 20k miles, with 10 autocrosses. and they were less than $1k, I think I paid $800 out the door at discount tire.

I put re760's on the car thinking I was going to get r-comps for autocross, but budgets had to be adjusted so I picked up set of re11's for "race" use so they last longer compared to an rcomp. Once the re760's wear out, I'll likely go back to just having one set of tires, and sell my extra set of wheels.
Old May 7, 2015, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by jdmdc2r01
Go with the bridgestones. Best all around tire without trackuse from that list.
RE-11 that is, not RE-71R. The compound on RE-71R is super soft, so you don‘t want to dd that.
Old May 7, 2015, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
from your list, Re-11.
Old May 8, 2015, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kaj

I want a good speed rated tire for the German/Italian highways. Grippy enough for aggressive canyon runs. I'll have to be keeping up with fast cars. This car is more of a weekend car than a DD. I just wont be driving on a track.
Old May 8, 2015, 01:45 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by NoReason
I want a good speed rated tire for the German/Italian highways. Grippy enough for aggressive canyon runs. I'll have to be keeping up with fast cars. This car is more of a weekend car than a DD. I just wont be driving on a track.
for weekends, you can do almost any of those tires, really. as long as you don't mind replacing often.