Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Very Loud Screeching Noise

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very Loud Screeching Noise

Hey guys, so I've done tons of research and so far none of the threads I've come across have helped me solve my problem. I bought the car (Evo 9) almost a month ago and it had a bad screeching noise coming from the front two wheels. It would vary from left to right and ONLY when I'm braking. Went to Road Race Engineering and slapped on new rotors and pads all around and thought the noise would be gone. After a couple days of driving, the noise was still there. I went back to RRE and they checked everything. Pads are fine and new, rotors are fine and new, dust shields aren't making any contact, anything visual passed inspection. We went for a ride and did a few pulls to heat up the brakes and do the whole bedding-in process. Went home and up until now, the noise is still there and just as bad. They said they really don't know what could be causing it because they checked everything. Today, I took the front wheels off along with the calipers and rotors and everything seemed fine. I sprayed brake cleaner, applied CRC disc brake quiet on the pads, nothing. The noise only happens when braking, after a little while of driving, and mostly slow braking. It happens more at slow speeds than high speeds and it varies from the left to right front wheels. Any suggestions? Definitely not the pads or rotors at this point since the noise was there before the new ones were put on and now after. Oh, and I know Brembos aren't quiet, but this is far beyond the typical squeak. It's LOUD.
Old May 12, 2015, 02:31 AM

same problem here i have also just changed pads to new brembo ones, but not the rotors yet. i am running dba. But i have exactly the same symptoms as you. Feel your pain its a mission to ts.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

I had this problem a while back turned out to be the shims. I didnt install them when I changed my pads and they would squeal real bad. They are the shiny metal plates that go in between the pistons and pad.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by mandy1311
same problem here i have also just changed pads to new brembo ones, but not the rotors yet. i am running dba. But i have exactly the same symptoms as you. Feel your pain its a mission to ts.
Yeah it sucks, the noise is very loud and has people staring at me whenever I pull up to a light or in a parking lot. Almost makes me not want to drive the car until I figure out what it is.

Originally Posted by Daniel_4g63
I had this problem a while back turned out to be the shims. I didnt install them when I changed my pads and they would squeal real bad. They are the shiny metal plates that go in between the pistons and pad.
I read in one of the threads I came across that it may be the shims. When I checked the pads yesterday, apparently they already come with the shims attached to the pad. I was kinda hoping that would be the culprit.
Old May 12, 2015, 04:26 PM

i put new shims once i changed the pads, and also applied that sealant to aid in avoiding noise by braking. the noise went away for exactly 3 days and just came back. another thing i notices is that the squealing goes away for about 15 minutes when i spray the brakes with water directly. i will disassemble again and re in install the shims. thing that has me with a headache is that the back breaks don't squeal at all. thanks for the tip
Old May 12, 2015, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm running pads that have glued on shims. Over that with a dab of axle grease in between, I run the metal shims the car came with. Recently, one of the rear brakes started squealing. I pulled the pads, remove the metal shims, cleaned things up and added a dab of grease again. Silence.
Old May 13, 2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
I'm running pads that have glued on shims. Over that with a dab of axle grease in between, I run the metal shims the car came with. Recently, one of the rear brakes started squealing. I pulled the pads, remove the metal shims, cleaned things up and added a dab of grease again. Silence.
You just answered a curious question of mine. I was wondering if I could run the oem shims along with the shims that the new pads already came glued on with. I will order some oem shims and apply some axle grease in between the shims and hope it solves the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. Did you apply any axle grease or disc brake quiet on the other side of the oem shim that comes in contact with the caliper pistons? Or just in between the oem and the already glued ones?
Old May 13, 2015, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Ayyrock
You just answered a curious question of mine. I was wondering if I could run the oem shims along with the shims that the new pads already came glued on with. I will order some oem shims and apply some axle grease in between the shims and hope it solves the problem. Thanks for the suggestion. Did you apply any axle grease or disc brake quiet on the other side of the oem shim that comes in contact with the caliper pistons? Or just in between the oem and the already glued ones?
On my Evo I've never used anything but axle grease. Exactly where I put grease depends on the whim of the moment but I always put a smear behind the metal shim. The grease once it accumulates dirt acts more like the rubber stuff than you would expect.

I did have one person on another forum write that with both the glued on shim and the metal shim things were too tight. Well, I've never run into that.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:12 PM

I had this problem a while back, shims are important lol
Old Jul 20, 2015, 04:47 PM

Little late on this, but I ended up fixing the problem for the most part. I ended up ordering new OEM shims for the front brakes. During the install, I did realize it was a tight fit with the already pre-installed shims on the pads and it wouldn't fit with the OEM shims installed as well so I removed the pre-installed shims and put the OEM shims on the pads. I also applied some CRC disc brake quiet and sprayed everywhere with some brake cleaner. Until this day, the horrid screeching noise is gone for the most part. It RARELY happens and is for a quick second compared to before. Sometimes the front passenger side makes a slight squeaky noise when braking but I can live with this unlike the last noise they were making. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem I had.