Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stock tires corded, time for some new shoes!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2015, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock tires corded, time for some new shoes!

I used to track this car all the time (not anymore, Maui doesn't have any tracks), and I need some new tires.

I drive pretty aggressively and really want to maintain the baseline of stock advan handling, especially the very responsive turning since the roads here are beautiful.

I have stock MR BBS and would like to stay stock sized.

My current selections were:

1. Durezza ZII Star Spec
2. Ventus R-S3 v2
3. Pilot Super Sports

I need to order these today since I now daily this car (surprise cording on the tires ) Any help would be appreciated!!

Edit: Almost forgot to mention; I still have my track suspension set up on here. Robispec KW clubsports - -2.9 F, -1.5 R, 0 Toe all around. Should I lessen this a bit for the street?

Last edited by vanisher; Jun 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 02:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
We spoke via phone, however for others, the Dunlop would work great in this case. If you're looking for a bit more wear then I'd go PSS otherwise ZII's are an EVO favorite.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 06:28 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Z2's are loud. My vote goes to Bridgestone RE11's. You could dial the front camber down -2.3ish for street use.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Z2's are loud. My vote goes to Bridgestone RE11's. You could dial the front camber down -2.3ish for street use.
I ordered the star specs today, and my car is loud so I don't think it'll be too bad.

I'm going to get an alignment check when I get my tires put on. My last alignment was when robispec installed my clubsports and did corner balancing.

This was in 2008 so my memory isn't 100% on it but I think he may have done 1 degree of toe out in the front since my car was really for weekend fun and track time.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll throw my support in for the ZIIs as well. The set I have now has taken 2+ years of track abuse, and even just last week with the tires at the wear bars almost broke a track record that was set on hoosiers (there are obviously a few other factors too).

I am astonished at how well these have worn. Not sure if the Star Spec version will wear as well as it is supposed to be stickier.

These tires are great though, very predictable and give good feedback. I've heard the new RE71R and Rival S are as good if not better on a track though from a grassroots motorsports report...
Old Jun 21, 2015, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

So I wanted to follow up with some comments on the star specs...

They are definitely not as precise as the outgoing stock advans. I notice about a .25 second delay from steering wheel input to full car movement. With the stock advans the car movement was instantaneous. I believe it's due to the softer sidewalls.

The grip so far has been good, so I can see why the autocross/hpde guys like them. The road noise is quieter than the advans until you hit about 50 mph, then the tires kind of sound like mudding tires with the "slapping whir" as you drive. My car is pretty loud so I'm not too concerned with that part.

Ride comfort has improved over the stockers, but again I'm sure this is due to a softer sidewall being able to absorb bumps without feeling it all the way up your spine. This wasn't a concern of mine as I knew what I was getting into with the evo, just something to note.

I have to say overall, I'm disappointed due to the lack of response in the tires compared to the stock advans. I feel it takes away from the very precise and quick steering the evo offers, it's very unfortunate.

In the future I know where I will be focusing my research on, and that's a veryt stiff sidewall.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you think the Z2's lack response, its a good thing you didn't go with the the rs3's..
Old Jun 22, 2015, 03:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
We spoke via phone, however for others, the Dunlop would work great in this case. If you're looking for a bit more wear then I'd go PSS otherwise ZII's are an EVO favorite.
Aside, I looked into the PSS today and they don't make it in 255/40/17, which apparently is an OEM size for BMW/Porsche....or us