Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

road v track wheel alignment

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
road v track wheel alignment

I use my evo mostly for weekend canyon drives and track days, last time I got a set of tyres I remember the tyre guy saying that some track guys setup their wheel alignments specifc to track days, so what does this actually mean? I thought wheel alignment is the same for track and road, can you actually make your car handle better on tracks by doing a different wheel alignment?
Old Jun 7, 2015, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Jonno99
I use my evo mostly for weekend canyon drives and track days, last time I got a set of tyres I remember the tyre guy saying that some track guys setup their wheel alignments specifc to track days, so what does this actually mean? I thought wheel alignment is the same for track and road, can you actually make your car handle better on tracks by doing a different wheel alignment?
A road and track alignment are very different. My track alignment is -3.5 (f) and about -2 (r) with 0 all around. My street alignment is -2 (f) and -1.5 (r) with 0 toe.

Last edited by e_kobz; Jun 7, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
A road and track alignment are very different. My track alignment is -3.5 (f) and about -2 (r) with 0 all around. My street alignment is -2 (f) and -1.5 (r) with 0 toe.

so why are they different?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

so why are they different?
Running a lot of camber on the street will wear down tires quicker than with less camber. Increase camber at the track to improve speed through corners. The idea is to use the entire tires contact patch with the tarmac. If you don't have a lot of front camber and you enter a corner you're going to roll into the tires outer edge, thus losing front end grip, thus turning a slower lap time. This is just one example. Make sense?
Old Jun 8, 2015, 06:05 AM
Evolved Member

Here's a pretty good video that should explain camber and its purpose.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by e_kobz
Running a lot of camber on the street will wear down tires quicker than with less camber. Increase camber at the track to improve speed through corners. The idea is to use the entire tires contact patch with the tarmac. If you don't have a lot of front camber and you enter a corner you're going to roll into the tires outer edge, thus losing front end grip, thus turning a slower lap time. This is just one example. Make sense?
got it but wouldnt it just be better to keep more camber for the street too, at least you have more tyre on the road
Old Jun 9, 2015, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

got it but wouldnt it just be better to keep more camber for the street too, at least you have more tyre on the road
How do you figure? On the street most of your driving is in a straight line and you dont take turns/corners are high speeds. No need for your camber be like this /---\ there is less grip in a straight line because only the inner part of the tire is being utilized. You can run a lot of camber on the street, you'll just go through tires quicker.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I run my track specs on the street. Toe is what really wears tires, camber not as much as you would think. But your specs should be towards your car and your driving style.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when my car was on driven on the road as well as track I ran (-2) Front (-1) Rear and Zero front and rear toe.

my car is now track only and I run (-5) Front (-2) Rear, 4mm Toe out in the front and 1mm toe in on the rear.

the rear toes setting is not great, needs work.

As has previously been stated a heap of toe will wear tyres more than camber as the inner/ outer depending on setting is being dragged basically because it is not pointing straight