Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front disc warping problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd recommend the same. Change Fluid, Clean Rotors, and Bed in new pads properly.

How do the LeMans Cars handle brake pad changes? Are they already bedded in prior to installation? and if so, why aren't brake pads offered with all the glues/resins already cooked off and bedded in?
Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Bogie
Many people want to drive fast but they seldom think about braking fast. I have spoken to many drivers regarding brake fade, some recommendations included..."just brake harder." My suggestion would be to flush your brake fluid, change your front pads, and sand (130 grit) your front rotors using moderate pressure. After you install your new pads, bed them per manufactures' instructions, then, before you next track event log at least 250 miles on the new pads. I found that sometimes a good bedding needs to be followed by a good seasoning.
One more thing, you should heat-cycle your pads occasionally--stop/slow from speeds exceeding 45 mph using moderate brake pressure.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah i don't understand...I bedded the brakes in properly. I used the instruction off here because I knew VIVID RACING wasn;t correct. They told me that the project mu pads didn;t even need broken in!!! HAHA....i went easy on them for like 500 miles...and did the begining break in procedure as well. So maybe i just overheated them. The pads seem to glaze pretty easy because they squeak a lot until i brake hard a few times.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

ZX - I'm not sure about LeMans cars, but stock-based race cars pre-bed their brake pads for long races. They will bed a set of pads, take them out and save them for changes during a race. With ceramic-based brake systems, this may not be necessary.

I'm not exactly sure why pads don't come pre-baked. Maybe it is easier for the pad surface to conform to grooving in the rotor while the pads are still soft (before bedding). I knew a guy once who heated up his new brake pads in an old toaster oven (generated a lot of smoke and some flames). As I recall, he seemed to be happy with this method. I'm going to stick with bedding on the car.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Gives new meaning to the term, "I cooked my brakes."

Last edited by Bogie; Feb 14, 2005 at 01:27 PM.