Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Front disc warping problem

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front disc warping problem

I have a 2003 evo that seems to have a serious front brake problem.The supposedly"high performance"brembo rotors keep warping.The original factory set warped at about 7000 miles.Brought car in to dealer and they cut the rotors and put everything back together.2000 miles later they were warped again.At 11700 miles they were replaced with brand new ones.At 15000 miles they were warped again.dealer cut this set and sanded the pads at around 17000 miles. At 18800 they are warped again.Dealer said they inspected everything and there is nothing wrong with the car or the parts.They say it must be me!I must be overheating them so it's my fault.As a result now they are refusing to fix it again.This car is my main transportation for work,errand running etc.It is not raced around or abused.Idon't ride the brakes.They found no evidence of overheating on the rotors yet they say thats the problem.Now mitsubishi won't stand behind the car or the warranty.I may be forced to get a lawyer and take them to court under the lemon law to get the car replaced.Anyone else having problems with their evo rotors?
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

your original rotor lasted 7000 mi before having problem.....then the other 2 only last 2-3 thousand mi......so my question is: did you bed-in the rotor after the dealer "cut" them?

cutting a warp rotor is not always solve the problem cuz a cutted rotor will have less material = less mass to hold the heat.

you can try different dealer or call NA since your problem has been on filed
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:58 PM

Change out the stock pads, they leave deposits on the rotors causing your problem....
Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by cam2
Change out the stock pads, they leave deposits on the rotors causing your problem....

that's called "film transfer". It usually happen when you use 2 very different brake pad material on the same rotor.
I believe he is using the same stock brake pad so it shouldn't have film tansfer in this case.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Change your driving style:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...highlight=warp
Old Mar 26, 2004, 08:13 AM

Change my driving style?What kind of assinine reply is that?I'm looking for factual replies ,not your opinion of my "possible "driving style.What should that matter anyway.These are supposed to be high perf brakes.Why did i pay 30k for the car if it can't even take normal braking without warping the disks?I haven't even activated the abs system once so hard stops are not the problem.And even if i was stopping as hard as possible every time i drove it,THATS WHAT I PAID FOR!It isn't luxurious and rides like a covered wagon.I paid for killer braking,killer handling and killer acceleration.I got ripped off.Should have bought the subaru sti instead.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Same brakes on the STi, sorry.
The compound in these rotors is such that if you do not warm them up properly, they will leave uneven deposits on the rotors. Do you do a lot of 100-0 stops without bringing the pads up to temp?

Or you can just use a more aggressive pad, but IMO, the stock compund is great for street driving.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

changing the pads seem to help some evo owners with these "warping" problems. I need to change the pads too. I am in the same situation you are with new rotors and pads courtesy of the dealership. Get aftermarket street pads
Old Mar 26, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mikshan
Change my driving style?What kind of assinine reply is that?I'm looking for factual replies ,not your opinion of
If you follow the link I posted and read it, I suggest how you can change your driving style to help prevent warping in that thread. The factual details are also there. All you had to do is click on the link. I did not want to retype (or cut and paste) the same thing in another thread.

Maybe you already do this, maybe you don't, I was just proposing a possible solution since you asked for help in this matter. That is the kind of assinine reply I posted.

It does not matter how expensive and how 'racy' your brake setup is/will be. If you sit with your brake padal on after a stop, you will warp your rotors by the simple fact that the area of the rotor not between pads cools faster than the area between the pads.

Good Luck!

Last edited by xtnct; Mar 26, 2004 at 09:39 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

There is also the huge common problem for folks unaccostomed to large rotored braking systems braking rather heavily and then parking their car in the garage for the night. The Evo's rotors are big and they absorb a lot of energy, if an Evo brakes moderately and then is parked, that energy literally bakes the pad material onto the rotors. Appropriate cool downs prior to parking is critical.
Old Mar 26, 2004, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Rotor warp is a MYTH. Learn about it here:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Jemm can attest to this, as well as many of the MLR guys. Just get rid of the stock pads, they are the reason for uneven pad to rotor transfer, hence the "brake shudder." Get yourself some Ferrodos or Pagids (or your choice of JDM pads). The brembo pads are nothing but trouble, ironically.l
Old Mar 26, 2004, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Everyone else makes good points, but everyday driving and light or normal braking will not cause rotor warpage. The tips on letting off the brake at lights and letting rotors cool down are good - if you're driving hard at the track or have been driving rather aggressively, then be sure to do that.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 08:46 PM
AMX

You are hard pressed to "warp" these rotors (or any others) with street driving. Do a runout and see if they are warped. It is most likely unbalanced pad transfer. Happened to me more so on this car than any other. Especially around around 2K to 7K miles. I changed my "style" (warmed them early before nasty stops) and the transfer was cleared. My experience, good luck!
Old Mar 28, 2004, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

it sounds silly, but try torquing your lug nuts. I had a slight pulsing in my front brakes, I re-tourqued all the lug nuts and the problem went away...
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to second what AMX said - most likely pad deposits. I found this to be very informative:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

Quick Reply: Front disc warping problem