Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

What's A Good Tire Replacement For Advans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's A Good Tire Replacement For Advans

I'm in the market for some new rubber, but I defintely want a tire that I can get better than 18,000 miles on. Increasing the ride also would be nice, but I also don't want to sacrifice all the perfomance. I'm looking at the The Pirelli Zero Nero M+S and the The Kumho ECSTA (x' ta) Supra 712. Does anyone have any better sudjestions or have any feedback on these two tires. I drive aggressive, but rotate the tires regularly. I am going to start auto-crossing also, thinking of using the Advans for the auto-crossing as I still have enough rubber left for a couple auto-cross days. Thinking of finding some eclipse rims to mount them on for track events. Any feedback is appreciated.

Volunteer
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:55 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
You should be happy with 18,000 miles. You bought a sports car, not an economy car.

I know nothing about the Pirelli tires, but the 712s are good replacements if you're more interested in tire wear than performance.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Go here and check out the tires and the tests. Higher number on treadwear means it wll last longer. One of the best performer and with great treadwear is Bridgestone RE750.
One of the best performer tire is the Michelin Pilot PS2 but they don't have the size for the Evo yet .

http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

When I had my wrx I had the ContiSportContact 2's... they were a good tire with a high treadwear rating. Stay away from the original ContiSportContact.. not so good..
Old Mar 24, 2004, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nsnguyen
When I had my wrx I had the ContiSportContact 2's... they were a good tire with a high treadwear rating. Stay away from the original ContiSportContact.. not so good..
I bought the Extreme's; for an all-weather tire. It's just as good in the rain and wet, tons better in the snow (obviously). You'll sacrifice some dry grip for the all-weather capability though.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

kumho ecsta mx, are best bang for the buck in the dry IMO. I love these as a street/track tire.

EDIT: scratch that recommedation if you want something that will last more then 18.000 miles!! my advans lasted 4500 lol
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

You can also do what I did...

I wanted a less expensive, longer lasting tire, without sacrificing all of the traction. So, I got the Yokohama ES100's in 245/40ZR17, so it's once size wider, and one size narrower in the sidewall to help compensate for the traction and sidewall stiffness of the Advans. Works for me.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:53 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

You should ask the auto X guys. From my experience nothing beats the stock advan 046's on dry except R compond. I'd bet it is probably more like competition tires which you can drive everyday! Most ultra high performance tires can't even touch the stock advans. Bridgestone released the re050's which i have no idea if it's any good? For all seasons my vote goes to michilen pilot sports.

Too bad the advan 048's doesn't come in our size Well at least you can buy them now.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks For The Feedback

Thanks for all the feedback. I guess my research continues. Mitsubishi kind of spoils you from the get go with the Advans .
Old Mar 25, 2004, 01:13 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Thanks For The Feedback

Originally posted by Volunteer
Thanks for all the feedback. I guess my research continues. Mitsubishi kind of spoils you from the get go with the Advans .
Agreed! One thing people tend to overlook is that the majority of the suspension exists to help the tires do their job. Lesser tires will generally mean lesser performance.

Fireball also offered a good solution; compromising grip with size. Generally a 245/40-17 will be about 3% smaller than than stock; a 255/40-17 will be about 1% smaller than stock. Changing to a tire with a size difference greater than 3% is generally not recomended for cars with ABS - but that's not a hard rule. Good Luck!
Old Mar 25, 2004, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by gtr
You should ask the auto X guys. From my experience nothing beats the stock advan 046's on dry except R compond. I'd bet it is probably more like competition tires which you can drive everyday! Most ultra high performance tires can't even touch the stock advans.
I would agree with most of these comments. But having autocrossed quite a bit both on the A046 tires and on Hoosier A3S03s... the difference between them is dramatic. The A046 tires are great street tires if you don't mind the short life -- but as competition tires, they're not even playing in the same league with dedicated competition tires like the Hoosiers.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 01:58 AM
Evolved Member

just bought some Falken Azenis Sport tires in 245/45/17. I should have them on by Saturday. $579.96 out the door mounted & balanced w/ road hazard, free rotation, valve stems, old tire recycle fee, etc. from America's Tires (www.tires.com, $127- just ordering tires alone w/ free shipping). Supposedly they are pretty sticky, and the sidewalls are stiff. I'll post results after I get them if anyone is interested. Tread life should be about the same as the Advans, but for nearly $100 less EACH CORNER it's a bargain...unless of course the tires suck, which remains to be seen.
Old Mar 25, 2004, 03:18 AM
Evolving Member

If you want the same performance as stock advans DO NOT BUY PIRELLI P ZERO NERO M+S!

These aare good tires but do not perform as well as stock. 400 tread rating...
Old Mar 25, 2004, 04:51 AM
El Jefe

Re: Re: Thanks For The Feedback

Originally posted by erioshi
Agreed! One thing people tend to overlook is that the majority of the suspension exists to help the tires do their job. Lesser tires will generally mean lesser performance.
Lesser tires will ALWAYS mean lesser performance.

There is no free lunch when it comes to high performance tires - just one of those things...
Old Mar 25, 2004, 04:55 AM
El Jefe

Originally posted by simevo
Higher number on treadwear means it wll last longer.
In theory, this is true, but in reality it doesn't always work out. Different manufacturers test differently, and get different results even though the baseline tire is the same. Goodyear's ratings tend to be quite high, for example. The numbers are only valid when comparing different tires from the same manufacturer. Of course, if one tire is a 140 and another is a 400, the latter will last longer, but it may not necessarily last 3 times longer.

Quick Reply: What's A Good Tire Replacement For Advans