Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Has anyone used Hankook V12 Evo2 tires?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2015, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
comparing the Super Sport to the V12 is like comparing an Evo to a Lancer, IMO
and cost twice as much like an evo too
Old Dec 14, 2015, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
here you go

Old Dec 14, 2015, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
We know they're not good track tires, and those aren't the tires in question anyway.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 07:56 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
A soft sidewall tire will simply twist the sidewall rubber with the first motion of the steering wheel. A stiffer sidewall tire, like the old A046D or surprisingly also like the Blizzak WS70, will squeak the tread on pavement much sooner. I can feel the difference.
If You say so. You have some sensitive ears and hands. I'll give you that.

I'd never, ever, ever use the v12 as a "track tire". I think everyone knows better.
Good to learn on though.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got a set of V12 Evo 2s in the basement waiting to go onto my GLI, had them all last summer but never bothered to take the winters off. Laziness is an understatement when talking about my DD... So I have no experience with them other than looking at them. Typical softer Hankook sidewall though. RS-3 V2s will feel that way too. I haven't touched anything other than 200UTQG tires on an Evo in 3 years now so my memory is probably a bit shoddy as far as stiffness on the V12 Evos but I know they had some squish to them.

If you didn't like the feel of the V12 Evo, I'd steer clear of the Evo 2 and look at the PSS in that category. My dad put the PSS on his STi this past summer after getting sick of the all-seasons, and while I only had one opportunity to spend time anywhere near the limit on them, I didn't find anything to complain about for a 300UTQG tire. Having not even run the Evo 2s yet, I find myself wishing I'd picked up a set of PSS instead. Might just sell these come spring and do that instead.

Also, Hi Jordan.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Haha what's up Charles. Thanks for the detailed response.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the EVO 2's on my DD Evo. 275/35/18's on 18x10's. Wanted a inexpensive all around tire to drive to work and back. Tires are wearing fine, respond well and seem to be as nice as my last set of DD tires which were Falken FK-452's.

Paul
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i stepped up from a falken high performance summer tire (i do not remember the specific tire but they were in a similar wear category) which i thought were mostly terrible to the hankook ventus evo 2 at the beginning of last summer. the falkens wore poorly and became very very noisy and i didnt think they gripped particularly well. i mostly do "spirited" daily driving and occasional auto-x and the falkens definitely made the car push more. im a tech and aligned my car usually around every 6000 miles and/or every time i mount a new set of tires and was running a rear sway bar and fortune auto 500 series coils on the car.

the hankooks i thought were a good tire for the price, obviously they are NOT in the same category as a PSS, star spec, or other super-high performance "track day" tire but they wore very evenly across the tread even with a pretty aggressive alignment and stayed quiet. they gripped noticeably better on an auto-x course. ride quality was about the same. the hankooks didnt chunk or fall apart as they neared the wear bars and the rubber didnt seem as "damaged" as it did on falkens even after i did lots of donuts with them with smoke pouring from all four wheel wells. (i like doing donuts)

anyways, i think theyre worth it for the price you pay for them and i think that they should hold up fine to occasional use, although mine only saw the auto-x course. they were great for street driving and i dont think they will disappoint you as long as you understand that you did not pay for and are not receiving a tire comparable to a PSS/other tires priced twice as much
Old Dec 22, 2015, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Everyone, thanks for the input. I ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, since people here seemed to have positive experiences with them, which was mirrored in the reviews of the tires on places like Tire Rack... it didn't hurt that last Saturday was the last day of the $70 rebate, so I went ahead and bought them. I haven't installed them yet (current tires still have some meat on them), but I'll probably do it within the next month or so.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
Everyone, thanks for the input. I ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, since people here seemed to have positive experiences with them, which was mirrored in the reviews of the tires on places like Tire Rack... it didn't hurt that last Saturday was the last day of the $70 rebate, so I went ahead and bought them. I haven't installed them yet (current tires still have some meat on them), but I'll probably do it within the next month or so.
I did the same switch and couldn't be happier, unless of course my car was a weekend car then I would have went with an extreme summer tire. The sidewalls on the PSS are noticeably stiffer and compound is grippier than v12. Plus PSS should last the same amount of time. Tire wear was the big factor for me.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 10:44 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by lv05evo
I did the same switch and couldn't be happier, unless of course my car was a weekend car then I would have went with an extreme summer tire. The sidewalls on the PSS are noticeably stiffer and compound is grippier than v12. Plus PSS should last the same amount of time. Tire wear was the big factor for me.
the PSS grips a lot more because of the softer compound on the inside. that's to be expected. because of that, i wouldn't imagine it lasting as long as the v12 though i haven't had anyone report back with how long they last.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'm gonna get the tires installed within the next couple of weeks. Any suggested tire pressures for them in stock size?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 09:42 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
I'm gonna get the tires installed within the next couple of weeks. Any suggested tire pressures for them in stock size?
Whatever the tire shop puts I there. Usually around 35psi.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 11:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Stock tire size, stock pressure. 32f, 29r cold.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

So I finally got around to getting the Michelins installed last night. I probably could've gotten a little more life out of the Hankooks (I was right around 42k miles on that set and with 3/32nd remaining on all four corners with pretty even wear but not yet at the wear bars), but I figured I should just install them, since they had been sitting at America's Tire for the past two months since I bought them the last day the rebate was offered.

Anyway, I wanted to test them out at Mulholland Drive, which was about 70 miles away from where I was coming from (and on the way to where my dad lives), so I figured that distance would let me break them in a little bit, though of course I still held back a little bit when I got to Mulholland since the tires weren't fully broken in. But yeah, it's a huge difference, even with such little miles on them. It handled all the corners really well... and I have a nice little four-minute video that I recorded of the drive. Even though I was holding back, there were some corners where I know my Hankooks started to squeal on a previous drive through it, but the Michelins took it without much protest, especially since there were a few where I thought I may have entered a little too hot and expected some drama but there wasn't any.

I had mentioned earlier in the thread that I noticed right off the bat when my Hankooks were installed how soft their sidewalls were just by turning the steering wheel before driving. This time, it was the opposite, in the sense that I could tell the sidewalls were stiffer. Response was way better (though not quite on the levels of the stock A046s or the Z1 Star Specs after that).

So, thanks again for everyone's input! Great tires so far.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used Hankook V12 Evo2 tires?