Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Has anyone used Hankook V12 Evo2 tires?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2015, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Has anyone used Hankook V12 Evo2 tires?

I searched in this forum and didn't find anything -- just a couple threads asking the same thing. I have a stock Evo IX SE and have always used stock-sized tires.

My Evo is about a gas tank away from hitting 90k miles, and it's probably also time to get new tires too. Obviously there have been a number of "what street/DD tires are the best" threads in the past, but there are always new tires that come out, so I'm curious about these tires, and a few others.

I replaced the stock A046s (which I rotated at every oil change every 3,750 miles) at 25k miles with Z1 Star Specs. I liked them a lot, but eventually I replaced them at 50k miles. At that point, I was only doing spirited driving, but anticipating some shifts in my responsibilities (ailing family member ~100 miles away who I would be visiting every weekend), I figured I'd really only be commuting during the week then going out of town on that 200-mile round trip without much time to do anything fun that would really utilize the grip of an Extreme Summer Tire, so I gave the V12 Evos a try.

With that being said, I remember the second I got into my car after they were installed, just turning the steering wheel while the car was parked made me second-guess myself. I suppose I should've seen it coming, because I remember how much lighter the tires felt after I bought them, plus the sidewalls felt way softer in my hands when carrying them. Right away, I missed the steering response of my previous tires, but I adjusted to it pretty easily.

Now I'm at 90k miles. The V12 Evos were good bang for the buck and lasted for 40k miles and counting, but I'm curious about my options. Here are the ones I'm considering:

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs
Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2
Hankook RS-3 V2

Obviously the V12 Evo2s are going to be the best bang for the buck. But has anyone used them? I'm curious how much they have improved over the original V12 Evos. Obviously I don't expect it to be a night-and-day difference, but I'd at least hope that steering response is better.

And with the other two, I know that the ZII Star Specs are likely going to have the best handling that will put a big smile on my face, but I don't do any track driving... though I did immediately notice the difference between the Z1 Star Specs and the V12 Evos before the car had even moved. The RS-3 V2s are a little older but they're already discounted a bit, so I wouldn't mind.

I don't have that same weekend drive anymore (family member passed away last year) so I may have more opportunities to do some spirited driving, but I don't plan on going to any tracks.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I just couldn't find any reviews of the V12 Evo2s on an Evo.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 05:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
If you want a good tire in the V12 category, ignore the V12's and go with Bridgestone RE760's, BFG Gforce sport comp2's, or Michelin Pilot Super sports.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 06:17 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
I often use these tires for daily driving. They are cheap and last a decent amount of miles.
I like them.

As for noticing a difference before your car moved, that's psychosomatic. Impossible. Don't judge your tires based on that.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I had the EVO V12 then just got the Super Sports. The sidewalks are a good bit stiffer based on the bumps you feel come through from the road. Turn in is a lot better as well. The grip and in the corners is noticeably better as well. These tires come with a 30k mile warranty so mileage should be similar to the Evo V12. To me it seems like the Super Sports are in higher category then the Evo V12. How the Super sports compare to the ZII or the RS3 I don't know but I would imagine it would be a noticable different meaning less performance. But I wanted a tire that will last close to 40k miles and still have the high performance so that why I gave the Super Sports a try.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:06 AM
kaj

comparing the Super Sport to the V12 is like comparing an Evo to a Lancer, IMO
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,570 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
comparing the Super Sport to the V12 is like comparing an Evo to a Lancer, IMO
They're in the same summer tire category. Outside of tire rack they are both what the industry considers an "ultra high performance" summer tire.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:31 AM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
They're in the same summer tire category. Outside of tire rack they are both what the industry considers an "ultra high performance" summer tire.
yeah. and my RE71r is a "200 treadwear rating"

the PSS is well known as a cheater tire. the v12 is nowhere near that. i've never seen anyone use them for competition use.

my meaning is how the tires actually perform, not Tire Rack's ratings.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj
As for noticing a difference before your car moved, that's psychosomatic. Impossible. Don't judge your tires based on that.
It's very possible. I turned the steering wheel and could already feel the difference through how the steering wheel turned. If you don't believe me, try it out yourself. Sit in an Evo with extreme summer tires and turn the steering wheel (of course while the car is on), then do it right after in another Evo with less aggressive summer tires. But I wasn't using that one instant of the car not moving as my complete review of them, but I just knew it was a likely indicator of what I'd be giving up compared to the previous two sets of tires. And I was right.

Originally Posted by kaj
the PSS is well known as a cheater tire. the v12 is nowhere near that. i've never seen anyone use them for competition use.
Could you elaborate on the "cheater tire" thing?

I hadn't considered those before, but I'll check them out. But for their price, I kind of feel inclined to just spend a little more and get the ZII Star Specs.

Hopefully after December, there'll be more rebates on tires.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 02:00 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83
It's very possible. I turned the steering wheel and could already feel the difference through how the steering wheel turned. If you don't believe me, try it out yourself. Sit in an Evo with extreme summer tires and turn the steering wheel (of course while the car is on), then do it right after in another Evo with less aggressive summer tires. But I wasn't using that one instant of the car not moving as my complete review of them, but I just knew it was a likely indicator of what I'd be giving up compared to the previous two sets of tires. And I was right.

Could you elaborate on the "cheater tire" thing?

I hadn't considered those before, but I'll check them out. But for their price, I kind of feel inclined to just spend a little more and get the ZII Star Specs.

Hopefully after December, there'll be more rebates on tires.
unless your tires still had mold-release material on them or some other problem with one of the sets, i see no way to notice a difference between tires buy turning the steering wheel. i swap from my street tires, to track tires, then back again and notice no difference. maybe i'm just not that sensitive. with my power steering, it all feels the same to me.

anyway, "cheater tire" meaning the tire is a dual-compound. one section has softer compound which allows the tire to grip a lot better than most tires in it's class. for that reason, it seems to be the go-to tire for anyone running a class where treadwear is limited their certain rating.
i've never run them, just going by what this and other forums have reported/reviewed for that tire. from what i've also read, there are grippier tires, for less, as long as you aren't limited by class like i mentioned. they are pretty pricey too, last i checked.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

If your front tires were flat (or at least significantly under-inflated), even if the car were stationary, you'd be able to tell they were flat if you turn the steering wheel, since there's a little less resistance. So it's an extreme example of being able to kind of feel a difference when using a tire with a much softer sidewall.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 03:16 PM
kaj

if flat, yes. different rubber compound? no. unless you are comparing slicks to street tires.

i just said i notice no difference and can't imagine it's possible. i could be wrong.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, so has anyone had actual experience with the Hankook tire, the new version Evo2 (k120). I heard pretty bad reviews of the old version which is just the V12 Evo NOT the V12 Evo2.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Haha yup. It seems like everyone here was talking about the original ones, which I obviously have experience with.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 01:55 PM
kaj

i read up on each tire and don't really see much difference between the old and new ones. has anyone found info on any substantial changes?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
if flat, yes. different rubber compound? no. unless you are comparing slicks to street tires.

i just said i notice no difference and can't imagine it's possible. i could be wrong.
A soft sidewall tire will simply twist the sidewall rubber with the first motion of the steering wheel. A stiffer sidewall tire, like the old A046D or surprisingly also like the Blizzak WS70, will squeak the tread on pavement much sooner. I can feel the difference.

Quick Reply: Has anyone used Hankook V12 Evo2 tires?