Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Evo IX OEM Strut Assembly Replacement Options?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX OEM Strut Assembly Replacement Options?

Hey everyone,

I am looking to replace the struts on my Evo IX. The vehicle doesn’t have many miles on it (9,600) but would like to change them out due to the age and would also like to entertain the idea of possibly upgrading in the process.

This vehicle doesn’t get race or tracked. I’m looking for a ride quality/stiffness similar to the OEM struts/springs. I’ve been very happy with those since I’ve owned the car so having a new set-up that performs around the same would be great. Also, I’m not looking at lowering the vehicles ride height.

In your opinion, would I be better looking at upgrading the strut and spring separately or considering buying a complete new coil over system from a company such as TEIN or Cusco.

If I would be better sticking with a complete new set of OEM replacements, does Mitsubishi offer a complete strut assembly from the dealership or only the parts separately?

Thanks!

Jason
Old Jan 23, 2016, 02:56 PM

One additional question:

What brand struts came stock on the 06 Evo IX?

From what I've read, only the 06 MR had Bilsteins. Is that correct?

After a few more hours of research, I decided that I will be sticking with the stock OEM struts and springs. They give me exactly what I'm looking for in terms of performance and ride quality.

Cheers!

Last edited by EvolutionRacing; Jan 23, 2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 23, 2016, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
You could buy Bilstein HD struts/shocks. From what I read they give a similar ride to MR Bilsteins. As for GSR struts they are made by KYB, but I don't know what model they are. The only KYB aftermarket I see are GR-2. I don't know if they are the GSR stock equivalent. Don't forget to grease up you front top hat/mount for the struts. With the age they are I would think some of the grease has dried up by now.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely search for Bilstein HD struts. They basically replaced the OEM MR struts, since they stopped rebuilding oem when they came out.

Anyway, bilstein HD and GTWORKS springs. It's exactly, 100% what you want.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 12:40 PM

Wow, that exactly the information that I was looking for. Thanks everyone!

As for the Bilstein HD struts, are they called Bilstein B6 HD Struts?

Is the following strut correct for the front? - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bs...i/model/lancer

Is the following strut correct for the rear? - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bs...i/model/lancer

If anyone could verify that these are indeed correct, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!
Old Jan 24, 2016, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
yes, b6 = HD. And those are the correct parts. FYI tirerack.com has them cheaper with free shipping, not to mention they are a forum sponsor too. If you are looking for aftermarket spring, the GT Worx is the way to go lowers the car 20mm front and 15mm rear.

http://www.gtworx.com/index.php/cata.../category/219/
Old Jan 26, 2016, 02:21 AM

Blistein Struts?

Hey all,

In regard to the Blistein HD struts for the front and rear, are they the exact same dimensions as the OEM struts found on the IX? Direct drop-in replacement?

Also, if I paired the Blisteins with new OEM springs, would my ride height change at all?

Obviously after any suspension work is done an alignment is needed but would any of my alignment specs change by just replacing the OEM struts with the Blisteins and using OEM springs? Just curious.

Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 07:33 AM

Strut boots?

One additional thing -

I'm having difficulty locating strut boots for the Bilstein struts. Any chance anyone knows where to get them?

Cheers!
Old Jan 26, 2016, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No change in specs...use your old boots, or see if you can pick some up aftermarket--say Oreillys-- napa, etc. maybe where you get your shocks will have some.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You have nearly new shocks and struts on your car (9600 miles) which you like, but you wish to replace them with brand new shocks and struts? I don't get it.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also check out Autoanything they have them for a great price. GT works springs or Swift R are are the way to go with HD struts. They also have the Bilstein Sports as well but I haven't seen much info on them probably just valved stiffer and what not.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:13 AM

Reviews?

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate it.

In regard to the Bilstein HD struts, I haven't been able to find much on reviews.

Is anyone currently running the Bilstein HD's in their Evo? If so, what are your thoughts? Build quality?

Thanks!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Its the only off the self strut available so many Evo cars run them. I guess no news is good news.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 08:55 AM

Strut assembly part inquiry

Hey all,

Per Bilstein's website, the HD struts do not require the reuse of the factory strut bump-stop since one is built in to the Bilstein strut.

Can anyone running these struts confirm this? Did you reuse the factory bump-stop when assembling the Bilstein struts?

Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 09:00 AM

Hey everyone, in your opinion, will the Bilstein HD struts be an improvement over stock OEM struts on my IX? I just want to make sure that this is the correct route to go.

Like I stated before, I'm looking for a very similar ride quality to stock with a slight improvement in handling.

Are the Bilstein HD's my best bet or is buying a new OEM set from the dealership the route I should take?

I believe KYB shock/struts came on the IX, correct? The Bilstein HD's should be an improvement over those, right? In both build quality and handling?

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Evo IX OEM Strut Assembly Replacement Options?