Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlin vs Fortune Auto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by d-sport
They WILL outperform the Ohlins for equal price. Quote me on that.
Not on any less than perfect street they wont. Ohlins damping is on another level.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nemsin
Not on any less than perfect street they wont. Ohlins damping is on another level.
If your only concern is performance on the street and you're in the market for coils than you really are a stance *** hahaha

Or even worse! The rare breed of Anti-Stance **** that go to one track event every two months and brag about it every chance they get

If you do not fit this description you are exempt from these statements. There are some really amazing people on here.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Well most evo's are not track dedicated cars. OP has not weighed in on his intended use. FA's are pretty good bang for the buck. But if you really want to get into a track day coilover discussion, FA's are pretty low tier. Especially when compared against PSi Ohlins, Penske, JRZ, MCS, Moton. Not to mention all the types of racing other than tarmac, where brands like Reiger come into play.

Last edited by nemsin; Feb 24, 2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:51 PM

Well most evo's are not track dedicated cars. OP has not weighed in on his intended use. FA's are pretty good bang for the buck. But if you really want to get into a track day coilover discussion, FA's are pretty low tier. Especially when compared against PSi Ohlins, Penske, JRZ, MCS, Moton, etc.
^^^ I would agree with this statement. Also, As a personal opinion to the OP, as long as the valving is in the ballpark of the rate (FA will be close). The more comfortable will be the one with the lower rates (6F and 7R for example). Ohlins are top tier, but I don't think their amazing valving can be fully taken advantage of on the street. Having a proper preload, and ride height will be much more benifical for ride quality.

I guess what I'm saying here is don't look at Coil-overs like lowering springs or oem shocks. Because once you buy them and have them setting in your garage on the floor, that only half the battle. Setting, testing, lowering, tuning, testing, setting, and the list goes on.

I would say that 90% of evo's I see anywhere don't have the proper preload set. And when I say that static droop should be a percentage of full stroke and spring preload. Most of you will look at me in awe...

Last edited by d-sport; Feb 24, 2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Suspension tuning is very complex. Most people cannot do it. BUT most people do not need to be able to do it. A good coilover shop will send you a kit with proven settings for your car and intended use. Then you can tweak to taste (often by calling them and explaining what you want to change about the car). This customer service resource/knowledge base is what truly sets apart the various coilover manufacturers. It is why I chose to go with Lex at MCS when I chose my suspension.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
For a car that sees mostly street driving, I would argue that KW v3 is the way to go. Being stainless steel, they will hold up better than the Ohlins or the FA.

If you are talking track day coilovers, there are a lot of options out there and it really comes down to your budget. That said, MCS ftw!
MCS is awesome. They're not far from me!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 05:24 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts
My close minded thoughts say this:

Fortune Auto < KW V3< Ohlins Road and Track

-pal215
Old Feb 24, 2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pal215
My close minded thoughts say this:

Fortune Auto < KW V3< Ohlins Road and Track

-pal215
Doors are open or closed, not open or close. Anyhow I agree. But given the price point there is still no obvious decision.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by d-sport
^^^ I would agree with this statement. Also, As a personal opinion to the OP, as long as the valving is in the ballpark of the rate (FA will be close). The more comfortable will be the one with the lower rates (6F and 7R for example). Ohlins are top tier, but I don't think their amazing valving can be fully taken advantage of on the street. Having a proper preload, and ride height will be much more benifical for ride quality. I guess what I'm saying here is don't look at Coil-overs like lowering springs or oem shocks. Because once you buy them and have them setting in your garage on the floor, that only half the battle. Setting, testing, lowering, tuning, testing, setting, and the list goes on. I would say that 90% of evo's I see anywhere don't have the proper preload set. And when I say that static droop should be a percentage of full stroke and spring preload. Most of you will look at me in awe...

Interesting....but you are talking to someone who is probably a street guy who might to some track days. I think he isn't going to be testing and retesting....

You can brag about knowing calculations someone told you and maybe you have actually tested and used but to tell someone who is on a different level than yourself some of these things is pointless.

If you were taking a stab at me and my statements all I can say is I have setup a few motorcycles in my day so setting static droop and ride height is very simple if you have the correct info. Preload settings, well.....you can start at manufacturer's suggestions and adjust from there but there is no specific measurement. With motorcycles that is done by feel and "reading" the tires.

There are to many variables and also people of different levels looking for different things. This is why I don't mention settings and stuff in threads like this. I just try to give facts to let the person come to their own conclusion based on what they have read and are looking for.

IMO this is the issue with these" what are the best coilover" threads.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

OP, with suspension there is almost always a "better" and more expensive option, let your wallet guide you.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 09:34 AM

Ordered some Fortune Autos yesterday 👌🏼 went with 500 series with the Swift Spring upgrade 12k F/R
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by DatEvoKid
Ordered some Fortune Autos yesterday 👌🏼 went with 500 series with the Swift Spring upgrade 12k F/R
Nice choice there Fairly hard core'ish on the rates. Curious why you went w/the same F/R rate. 12k rear sounds like youre trying to get some more rear rotation?

Stock rear sway?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:14 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
If you want something that rides well on the street, Ohlins. No question. If you are serious about being on the track and want a custom setup, then the FA is a good way to go. Or, if you have enough money, you can go Ohlins and have them sprung & valved specifically to what you need (if you need something other than stock).
cliffnotes: it depends on what you plan to do with them, but both are good, IMO.

Out of curiosity, why such high spring rates, especially in the front?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 06:02 PM

Sorry for the late response I've been pretty busy but I had 12k springs on my STi and i just liked the way it handled and felt, I know I'm weird, haha but yes i will track it some days and even hit the drag strip this summer... No i do not have stock sway bars
Old Mar 10, 2016, 07:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by DatEvoKid
Sorry for the late response I've been pretty busy but I had 12k springs on my STi and i just liked the way it handled and felt, I know I'm weird, haha but yes i will track it some days and even hit the drag strip this summer... No i do not have stock sway bars
When it comes down to it, we're not pro-level race car drivers. So, if you like how the car drives, that's all that matters, IMO.
Though it's not always the fastest, i like how a car feels when it stays nice and flat in a turn.

Quick Reply: Ohlin vs Fortune Auto