Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ohlin vs Fortune Auto

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2016, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ohlin vs Fortune Auto

Im having a hard time deciding between Ohlin Road & Track coils and the Fortune Auto 510 Series coils, anyone running these? How are they for track and for daily driving?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What is making you have a hard time deciding?
Old Feb 23, 2016, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
If you have the cash, the ohlins are the better dampers.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
If you have the cash, the ohlins are the better dampers.
x100
Old Feb 23, 2016, 04:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Has the time finally arrived where FA & Ohlins are being compared as equals

I run track prepared 510's w/the bearing & the Swifts (10K 12K). Certainly not the best street choice but on the track they perform really well (digressive valving)

I think Ohlins, especially on build looks / quality are a step above FA

But as far as customization, customer service & quality of the valving components, FA c/o's will give many top of the line c/o's a run for their money

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Feb 23, 2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you street your car I would say hands down Ohlins. Ohlins just have their valvung and piston design on point.
I didn't even get my Evo to the track but on the street they were great, nice road feel and pretty soaked up bumps great, even when I had the stage IVs which are a true short stroke race coilover.
A little story.....a friend of mine, hardcore track guy, couldn't even drive down a main street in our town when he had FA 510s and AD 08r tires. He said it was bone jaring and he would go out of his way to avoid that road.
I ended up getting the Ohlins stage IVs and had AD 08r tires and it was not bad at all. We both had 10k/12k springs as well.
IMO the Ohlins are an off the shelf shock and the FA are built for the spec you tell them and Ohlins just has the mix of street and performance.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by michaelrc51
If you street your car I would say hands down Ohlins. Ohlins just have their valvung and piston design on point.
I didn't even get my Evo to the track but on the street they were great, nice road feel and pretty soaked up bumps great, even when I had the stage IVs which are a true short stroke race coilover.
A little story.....a friend of mine, hardcore track guy, couldn't even drive down a main street in our town when he had FA 510s and AD 08r tires. He said it was bone jaring and he would go out of his way to avoid that road.
I ended up getting the Ohlins stage IVs and had AD 08r tires and it was not bad at all. We both had 10k/12k springs as well.
IMO the Ohlins are an off the shelf shock and the FA are built for the spec you tell them and Ohlins just has the mix of street and performance.
Your post is misleading, and you are gobbling up the Fortune marketing speak a little too much.....

The Ohlins dampers are valved differently depending on which car they are made for.

All Fortune is saying is that you can tell them what spring rates you want to use, and they will valve the shocks accordingly. A nice service, but do not go around calling Ohlins "shelf dampers."
Old Feb 23, 2016, 08:57 PM

^^^^ LOL at this.

I don't see a comparison. Ohlins are on another level.

Fortune Auto are shelf dampers despite anything they say. They have a big sheet on the wall that tells them what valving to use for the spring rates you tell them. That's not car specific. Now keep in mind any coilover set is going to suck if you dont have someone to set them up properly on YOUR car. That being said, Ohlins has the a similar sheet.

Now who would i trust more with a base setup? Ohlins
Which can be a better performing coilover? Either one, depending on how much time you spend with them.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ohlins. I didn't even think it was a question
Old Feb 24, 2016, 09:55 AM

Appreciate all the info guys I'm still looking and researching
Old Feb 24, 2016, 11:10 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts
@ DatEvoKid
Ohlins R/T are definitely worth the extra cash. Get the job done right first time and don't look back.
While you are in there replace your stock suspension bushes with PU to completely transform the handling of your Evo. I regret not doing it sooner because it is like driving a brand new vehicle with intuitive, sharp handling.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by awhit17
Your post is misleading, and you are gobbling up the Fortune marketing speak a little too much..... The Ohlins dampers are valved differently depending on which car they are made for. All Fortune is saying is that you can tell them what spring rates you want to use, and they will valve the shocks accordingly. A nice service, but do not go around calling Ohlins "shelf dampers."
Wow, did you even read my post?

And FYI, Ohlins are an off the shelf damper. Ohlins just has their valving and piston technology on point.
Also, all shocks can and should be valved if the spring rate is going to make it go out of spec.
As much as I recommend Ohlins, FA does more than just valve them for the spring rate if you ask them to......but I would still recommend the Ohlins.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DatEvoKid
Appreciate all the info guys I'm still looking and researching
PM golgo13. He has a lot of time with the Ohlins on street and track. I'm sure he will give you some helpful info.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
For a car that sees mostly street driving, I would argue that KW v3 is the way to go. Being stainless steel, they will hold up better than the Ohlins or the FA.

If you are talking track day coilovers, there are a lot of options out there and it really comes down to your budget. That said, MCS ftw!
Old Feb 24, 2016, 03:17 PM

Get the Fortune auto and pay to have a roadrace specific shop set (droop/preload, ride height, dampening) and corner balance your car.

They WILL outperform the Ohlins for equal price. Quote me on that.

Think you can do this adjustment secessfully yourself with basic suspension knowledge? - doubt it. But it will allow you to stand with the stance **** and brag about the Ohlins you Know nothing about while being outperformed by stock MR suspension on the track.

Quick Reply: Ohlin vs Fortune Auto