Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brakes spongy after Girodisc caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
Judging by his picture, the bleeders are on top.
Could be---that's on end of the car....
Old Mar 18, 2016, 07:08 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
If your problem turns out to be the MS, it's actually pretty easy.

I'd make 100% sure all the air is out of the system, first. Tap the calipers with a mallet, let them sit, pressure bleed...whatever you have to do. Also, let the ABS unit cycle, as mentioned above. No sense in replacing anything until you have to.
Download the service manual. That will answer a lot of your questions.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After letting the car sit overnight after the abs was cycled I pressure bled the system again. Some small bubbles but nothing significant. After this didn't work well I went to the method like a post stated earlier of putting the pressure bleeder on and removing each line on the abs unit. It did seem to remove some air, but my pedal travel is still about 1.5" with the car turned on. The manual says it should be .8" guess I will drop the car and see if maybe 1.5" was my norm. Either way looks like I will need to buy a master cylinder rebuild kit. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
forgive me as i didnt read the whole original post, but i figured id share this:

when i have rebuilt my calipers and had them be completely dry of fluid, my power bleeder has not been able to handle the bleeding. I wound up using the power bleeder to get everything close to done, and when i still had a mushy pedal i moved over to the old fashioned friend in the drivers seat, and low and behold got a pretty decent sized bubble out of each caliper. Went back to the power bleeder for al ittle more fluid and boom they were back to nice and stiff.

i have found that air bubbles can still get trapped using the power bleeder.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
I also didn't even think about this, but what did you lubricate the seals with? If you didnt put it together with brake fluid, the seals can be sticky, and pull the piston back to far, which would result in a long/mushy pedal..
Old Mar 20, 2016, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I also didn't even think about this, but what did you lubricate the seals with? If you didnt put it together with brake fluid, the seals can be sticky, and pull the piston back to far, which would result in a long/mushy pedal..
I made sure to put all the seals fully into some new ate fluid. I also lubed up the pistons. They were pretty difficult to get back in straight. I have ordered an oem brake master cylinder rebuild kit (hopefully for the larger abs unit and not RS version) and I also bought some new bleeders for the calipers. Might try to do an old fashioned 2 person bleed another time or two.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Evo Eric
I made sure to put all the seals fully into some new ate fluid. I also lubed up the pistons. They were pretty difficult to get back in straight. I have ordered an oem brake master cylinder rebuild kit (hopefully for the larger abs unit and not RS version) and I also bought some new bleeders for the calipers. Might try to do an old fashioned 2 person bleed another time or two.
Problem solved! Thought I would update. After pulling the brake master cylinder apart and finding the seals looked ok and seemed functional I turned my attention to the caliper rebuild kit made by Girodisc. I found a guy with a set of brembo calipers to replace my fronts and I snagged them from him slapped them on and bled the system. Problem solved. For one reason or another the new seals in the rebuild kit aren't allowing the pistons to move properly. Not sure if my pistons are warped or what, but a different set of calipers has remedied the situation. Guess I have to paint these ones now :/
Old Apr 6, 2016, 02:30 PM
kaj

Did you split the calipers in half when you rebuilt them?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 02:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kaj
Did you split the calipers in half when you rebuilt them?
Does that cause issues? Would be worth nothing, because on my offroad car with wilwoods, we always split the calipers. Will have to remember not to do it to the brembos if they don't like it..
Old Apr 6, 2016, 02:55 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Does that cause issues? Would be worth nothing, because on my offroad car with wilwoods, we always split the calipers. Will have to remember not to do it to the brembos if they don't like it..
I just tried to find the thread on here. Someone posted that it causes a problem with them sealing back together and warned against it. I'll keep looking and post when I find it. To be honest, it was about a year ago... and I can't remember details other than I kept mine together just in case. I'll keep searching.
If OP says he split his apart then it would make me thing "hmmm".

**edit: this is all i could find. just a lot of hearsay. It's pretty much what i read (i think). I have to imagine if we're half-way competent, splitting them shouldn't be a problem LOL. Unless I can find that other thread and it has different info.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...bo-brakes.html

Last edited by kaj; Apr 6, 2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 03:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Hmm, no valid reasoning for all the "OMG DON'T DO IT"...lol
Old Apr 6, 2016, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

i very rarely hear of success stories on the first try when people split them. more or ings to risk etc imho...its not all that difficult too do the rebuild without splitting. ive had my pistons out like 4 times in 3 years...zero issues.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 07:30 PM
EvoM Guru

The fronts have an external crossover, what oring is in them?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:23 PM
kaj

I'll post the thread when I find it.. Maybe it was an article elsewhere. Google-fu time.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Never mind, just realized the sti brembos don't have external crossover (the best disassembly tutorial around is using sti calipers)

Quick Reply: Brakes spongy after Girodisc caliper rebuild