Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brakes spongy after Girodisc caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2016, 07:41 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
Never mind, just realized the sti brembos don't have external crossover (the best disassembly tutorial around is using sti calipers)

Ah. I wonder if people read that, then assumed the same warnings were true for our brakes.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 08:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Even the rears though. It's just an oring. Go to a hydraulic shop and find a matching metric o-ring, probably just needs to be Viton and it'll work fine. The only issue I can see is if someone doesn't evenly tighten all the bolts and warps the housings. This is why torque wrenches are important...
Old Apr 7, 2016, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I just tried to find the thread on here. Someone posted that it causes a problem with them sealing back together and warned against it. I'll keep looking and post when I find it. To be honest, it was about a year ago... and I can't remember details other than I kept mine together just in case. I'll keep searching.
If OP says he split his apart then it would make me thing "hmmm".

**edit: this is all i could find. just a lot of hearsay. It's pretty much what i read (i think). I have to imagine if we're half-way competent, splitting them shouldn't be a problem LOL. Unless I can find that other thread and it has different info.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...bo-brakes.html
Didn't split the calipers. Only rebuilt the front calipers. I've heard if splitting the rears they may give issues since it's not like the front where there is a tube connection from one side to the other instead of an o-ring in the rear.