Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help wheel firment

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help wheel firment

HI
Would 18x9.5 et25 work transend wheels fit my evo 8??
Old Nov 30, 2016, 12:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by dillons13
HI
Would 18x9.5 et25 work transend wheels fit my evo 8??
Ran this on the calculator for you running a 255/35 tire. Sure they will fit but due to the +25 offset & the 9.5" width, it will require some rear fender work

Looks like rolling the rear fender super flat (paint crack is likely) may get you there w/out having to pull the fender. If the fender is not rolled flat, a mild rear fender pull maybe needed

Also, not familiar w/this wheel so a front spacer maybe needed to clear the caliper
Old Dec 1, 2016, 02:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
This is something I've been trying to get a handle on for the last few weeks. The problem is that the amount of work needed to fit a 255-35-18 tire on a 18 x 9.5 rim varies depending on offset obviously, but there's also an issue with the tires being used and how the manufacturer measures them. I'll use my setup as an example -

I run a 18 x 9.5 +22 AME Tracers on my 9. I originally, when the wheels were first fitted, ran a 255-35 Hankook RS-3. To fit this setup no work was needed up front, bar a little liner massaging with a heat gun, at the rear I had the guards rolled and I relocated the bumper bolts. With these tires and this work done, plus around -2.0 of camber up front and around -1.5 at the rear, I had no rubbing issues at all.

The Hankook's in this 255 size on a 9.5" rim had a little bit of a "stance" look about them, not a lot, but the sidewalls weren't square. The next set of tires I had fitted up were a set of Federal RS-RR's in a 245-35. I went with this size because I'd read that Federal's are wide for they're size. The 245-35 Federal was roughly the same size as the 255-35 Hankook , and again, no rubbing anywhere.

So I needed new tires again recently and decided to go with the Hankook's RS-3's (just couldn't cope with the noise the Federal's make). Unfortunately there were none available in the 255-35-18 size, so I decided to go with a Yokohama AD08R in the 255-35-18 size. Now the fun starts, these tires rubbed everywhere, over every bump, around every corner. I started trying to stop this by grinding the rear guards away where the rolling stopped (at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the guard when facing). The front also needed grinding along the lip under the guard, but being aluminium, this was a little bit tricker and involved doing little grinds, going for a drive, having another grind, going for another drive etc. I also needed to do some major massaging of the liners, especially under the lip of the guard at the top where it kinda bulges out directly behind the lip. I managed to sort the rears fairly easily, but no matter how much grinding and such I did up front I still had rubbing, especially on fast, tight, corners. I eventually went to my wheel alignment guy and had him take my camber to -3.0 at the front (and -2.2 at the rear just to keep things balanced). Even after this I had the tire rub the guards up front, so I fired the weapon of last resort, and did the Evo Dave Fender mod, and finally, after weeks of mucking around, I've got a car with tires that don't slowly get sliced up by its guards.

So what's the point of all this? When you're pushing tire fitment to a big degree even the difference between tire brands, and the way a manufacturer measures their tires width, is the difference between having a tire, and wheel combo, that fits up easily and one that's a complete pain to make work.
​​​​​To make some sense of this I'm attempting to get some actual widths together for different brands (as opposed to the size given by the manufacturer), just so someone wanting a Yokohama tire in a 255-35-18 , as an example, knows that it's actually 260mm across at its widest when fitted to a 9.5" rim with 38psi in it. This is the link to the Facebook page with the post on it.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/972608509439352?view=permalink&id=1374000822633450
Old Dec 1, 2016, 05:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
The problem youre experiencing all centers around the +22 offset & the 9.5" width. Most of us who track our cars would have steered you away from this low offset. Even the +25 that you are interested in, while doable, is still on the very aggressive side in regards to offset

The +22 is doable, but a rear fender pull is likely needed in combination to the roll & bumper bolt re-location that you havr done

Let me share this pic w/you. This is my car fitted w/a 17x9 +29 running 275/40's. This is the type of clearance needed (roll, pull, bumper bolt performed). The -2.2 rear camber is beyond the norm & is a performance negative