Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake Pads

I'll be up for brake pads and looking into getting one. I'm in a debate right now which one to buy. Here are my picks:

WORKS Blue/Orange
EBC Yellow
Ferodo DS2500
Hawk HPS Plus

I was running EBC red but during threshold braking into a corner, sometimes I don't even feel like I'm not stopping hard enough. So I had to step it up.

The car in not a daily driver anymore but its still a street car. So I'm looking for low noise. Car goes to autocross. I want to ask if anyone of had experience or currently running any of these pads. Any input to help me make a decision would be great.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you are referring to the HP Plus and not the HPS, they are not going to meet your low noise requirement for street usage.

I don't daily drive mine either but the HP Plus on the street sound like a freight train.
The following users liked this post:
J!n K@z@mA (Jan 13, 2017)
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm interested as well
i have carbotech xp12 and they are awesome but so freaking loud.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
HPS pads have no ***** so I would cross those off the list. I've heard decent things about HP+ though I've only tired them years ago on my buddies Mazdapeed3. They can squeel a little bit but they had plenty of bite and stopping power for auto-x so maybe not a bad choice. I dont think there is such a thing as HPS Plus so Im guessing you meant HP+

WORKS pads are rebranded, probably EBC though I have no proof of that. I've never used them but after a poor experience with WORKS and their lack of ability to stand behind their products I'm all set with them.

Everyone that runs the DS2500's love em so those might be worth checking out. They should serve well for auto-x duty. Your car is prepped for STU right? If so those are probably a good match since you wont have big old steam rollers which might necessitate a more aggressive pad.

People also seem to love the Carbotech line and they offer a bunch of different options so you may be able to get away with say XP10's in the front and XP8's in the rear. Do some research on those if you wanna go that route. The XP12's might be a little aggressive which means great stopping power at the expense of noise and rapid wear.

Another pad worth considering is the Girodisc S/S pads. They are my current favorite pad and have worked well for me for the past few years handling street and auto-x duty. They're supposed to be very similiar to the DS2500's but I can't validate that; its just what Im told. As for noise they can squeal from time to time but if you auto-x enough they should remain silent. I've noticed that if I go too long without racing they will start making a little bit of noise but a few good hard stops shuts them right back up.

There is tons of info on here and elsewhere on brake pads and its not a one size fits all. Figure out what is most important for you and start testing different pads and report back!