Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Wheels aligned but still pulling towards right

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wheels aligned but still pulling towards right

I was wondering if anyone has a had a problem with their EVO pulling towards the right, even after a wheel alignment? I got the specs from the dealer and the tire shop aligned it accordingly, but it still pulls to the right. The tire shop said it could be something wrong with the rack and pinion. Has anyone else had this problem? Help!!
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire preasure?
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

mine pulls

I bought a set of ContiContactors (sp?) and have had the same problem. Being that the tires are unidirectional I swapped the front R (pulling to the right) to the back and it helped, but all I can think of is a tire with a little 'radial-pull.'

BTW I had my EVO aligned also...and its within really good specs.

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

uneven tread wear?
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

I bought a set of Falken 512's, 245/45 ZR17's and have the same pull. I too had the car aligned twice and replaced one of the tires after rotating them and nothing worked. The tech then brought one of the brand new Evo's from the lot over and swapped the rims/tires (back to stock) and the car drove straight I can't figure it out but it is very frustrating. I should also note that with my stock tires I had uneven wear and they were in need of replacing within 9/10K (the insides wore extremely fast). It's never been to the track and I don't get much of a chance to drive it hard where I live. And yes I rotate my tires every 3K miles so it's not from a lack of maintenance. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Wheels aligned but still pulling towards right

Originally posted by LancerEVOmann
I was wondering if anyone has a had a problem with their EVO pulling towards the right, even after a wheel alignment? I got the specs from the dealer and the tire shop aligned it accordingly, but it still pulls to the right. The tire shop said it could be something wrong with the rack and pinion. Has anyone else had this problem? Help!!
2 things jump immediately to mind.

1) The road is 'crowned' (higher in the middle for rain drainage) Drive down a side street on the left hand side and check if it pulls to the left.

2) Did you witness the alignment? Just cause the alignment is "within specs" doesn't mean that it is even.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolving Member

Mine seems to as well, but just a little and I don't notice it all the time. I assume it's the pavement.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

yup.

Yup, I witnessed and even participated in the alignment. (In fact I knew more than the tech. that did the alignment...sheesh...its not rocket science.)

Anyways...I've not seen any 'real' absurd tire wear on what I think is the offending tire...but then again I've only been on the Contis for about 5k miles.

Later,

jcnel.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Wheels aligned but still pulling towards right

Originally posted by mhgsx

2 things jump immediately to mind.

1) The road is 'crowned' (higher in the middle for rain drainage) Drive down a side street on the left hand side and check if it pulls to the left.

2) Did you witness the alignment? Just cause the alignment is "within specs" doesn't mean that it is even.
1) We did this and my car pulls to the right side of the road, and the tires are too new to show any uneven wear, yet...

2) My dealer insist that I stay with the car whenever possible so that I can witness anything and everything they do to or for the car. So yes I was there and also participated in the aligning of the car.

I'm hoping that it's something simple, but with my luck my car will blow up before I figure it out.
Old Apr 9, 2004, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Re: Wheels aligned but still pulling towards right

Originally posted by Evulized

1) We did this and my car pulls to the right side of the road, and the tires are too new to show any uneven wear, yet...

2) My dealer insist that I stay with the car whenever possible so that I can witness anything and everything they do to or for the car. So yes I was there and also participated in the aligning of the car.

I'm hoping that it's something simple, but with my luck my car will blow up before I figure it out.
Try jacking up the right side of the car and checking to see how easily the wheels turn. Perhaps you have a dragging rear e-brake? Maybe the wheel bearings are adjusted too tight on one hub? When holding the steering wheel on center, does the car drift to the right? Is the drifting worse when you drive no handed?

If you think it's the tires, rotate them left to right, and see what happens.
Old May 11, 2004, 03:29 PM
OX
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Sent you a PM about this.
Old May 11, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Location: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
could also be the tire, sometimes tire pressure