Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

One calipers brake way earlyer than the others

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2022, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One calipers brake way earlyer than the others

Premise, i do not have ABS. I had some problem on the brakes implant, i have the stock Brembo calipers, One year ago i had this problem where the front right calipers totally close After a few breaking, so i replaced the pump, in the way i broke the rear diff so One year passed in the way, now i rebuild this right caliper and tried this new pump, i bleeded the system, and now the rebuilded calipers close way earlyer than the others, if i pump on the pedal 3 or 4 time i start breaking the right way, but if i Press the pedal directly the right front wheel lock. How can i resolve? Sorry for bad english and thank you.
Old Nov 12, 2022, 04:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Metinfight
Premise, i do not have ABS. I had some problem on the brakes implant, i have the stock Brembo calipers, One year ago i had this problem where the front right calipers totally close After a few breaking, so i replaced the pump, in the way i broke the rear diff so One year passed in the way, now i rebuild this right caliper and tried this new pump, i bleeded the system, and now the rebuilded calipers close way earlyer than the others, if i pump on the pedal 3 or 4 time i start breaking the right way, but if i Press the pedal directly the right front wheel lock. How can i resolve? Sorry for bad english and thank you.
@Metinfight Certainly an imbalance somewhere, like air still in the lines? I see you have bled the system but maybe another bleed is needed?

Let me know if you have cleared up this issue

Cheers,
The following users liked this post:
Metinfight (Nov 14, 2022)
Old Nov 16, 2022, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I am contemplating making a youtube video about this. My front right brakes locked up two years ago for no apparent reason and never happened again until a month ago. Turned out my front brake hoses got pinched because I reinstalled that retaining bracket facing the wrong way after installing coilovers. Over time, it stretched the brake hose and even worse started rubbing through on the wide tires. I think what happens is the hose acts as a one way check valve. When it locked up, the car would not roll in neutral and started smoking. If three rotors read 90 degrees that front right read 300+ F. When I cracked the bleeder for the caliper open, fluid shot out 5 feet, that's how much pressure built up. I recently replaced all the brake lines with stainless steel. In my case, it was my own fault, but just something to check out. If the caliper pistons push back in (somewhat easily) when you crack the bleeder screws, chances are it's NOT that caliper that's broken. Just my observations.

FYI, if your brakes were like mine and overheated, let the car cool down first before working on it. DO NOT attempt to remove those two caliper bolts while it is hot, I ruined the threads and had to repair it because it no longer lined up after it cooled down. Wouldn't hold torque so had to use a thread repair kit.

Last edited by driven168; Nov 16, 2022 at 07:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by driven168:
Metinfight (Nov 20, 2022), MinusPrevious (Nov 17, 2022)
Old Nov 17, 2022, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Something similar happened to me a few years ago, No abs on my car, the front passenger would lock when braking, so I had to brake slowly with not much pressure.

Went to a shop, they took apart the caliper, serviced them, a little sanding, new grease and problem solved. I also installed new pads, but that has nothing to do I think.
Metinfight (Nov 20, 2022)
Old Nov 17, 2022, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Each Caliper has two bleeders and Brakes are paired on the diagonal not front or Back

Could you have missed the inside bleeders? Also look at shop manual most cars split the brakes front and rear. Evo splits the brakes in two circuits LF and RR / RF and LR. This is unexpected and could cause issues. If you can't find the book trace the lines.

Mitsuatb

Metinfight (Nov 20, 2022)
Old Nov 20, 2022, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by driven168
I am contemplating making a youtube video about this. My front right brakes locked up two years ago for no apparent reason and never happened again until a month ago. Turned out my front brake hoses got pinched because I reinstalled that retaining bracket facing the wrong way after installing coilovers. Over time, it stretched the brake hose and even worse started rubbing through on the wide tires. I think what happens is the hose acts as a one way check valve. When it locked up, the car would not roll in neutral and started smoking. If three rotors read 90 degrees that front right read 300+ F. When I cracked the bleeder for the caliper open, fluid shot out 5 feet, that's how much pressure built up. I recently replaced all the brake lines with stainless steel. In my case, it was my own fault, but just something to check out. If the caliper pistons push back in (somewhat easily) when you crack the bleeder screws, chances are it's NOT that caliper that's broken. Just my observations.

FYI, if your brakes were like mine and overheated, let the car cool down first before working on it. DO NOT attempt to remove those two caliper bolts while it is hot, I ruined the threads and had to repair it because it no longer lined up after it cooled down. Wouldn't hold torque so had to use a thread repair kit.
In my case de FR calipers locked, i tryed rebuilding the calipers and not worked, changed the brake booster and still lock, then i tryed changing the pump (thank God a friend of mine have A LOT of parts) and in that way It didn't lock, but After that i used my friend caliper, recentely i changed another pump (that One leaking like a MF) and switched back ti my rebuilded caliper (i rebuilded Just the FR, May that be the problem?) And now do this thing that if you brake on the First step only the FR Is actually braking, for brake with all four i have to pump like It Is air in the circuit, but actually there Is not.
basically im going Crazy, now i probably going to rebuild the FL, but still im not Sure if i gonna resolve.
Ps. Right now im using dot5 braking fluid.
again Sorry for bad english
Old Nov 20, 2022, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by audiofan
Something similar happened to me a few years ago, No abs on my car, the front passenger would lock when braking, so I had to brake slowly with not much pressure.

Went to a shop, they took apart the caliper, serviced them, a little sanding, new grease and problem solved. I also installed new pads, but that has nothing to do I think.
In my case i had to come back home without braking, even if i slightly touch the pedal basically the pump send fluid but did not take It back when released, and proceded to lock the calipers, i think It was a Seal in the pump the problem and locked che calipers closer to the "brake distributor" (Is really that how Is called in english? Im not Sure o.o)
Old Dec 11, 2022, 04:24 AM

Update:

In my case de FR calipers locked, i tryed rebuilding the calipers and not worked, changed the brake booster and still lock, then i tryed changing the pump (thank God a friend of mine have A LOT of parts) and in that way It didn't lock, but After that i used my friend caliper, recentely i changed another pump (that One leaking like a MF) and switched back ti my rebuilded caliper (i rebuilded Just the FR, May that be the problem?) And now do this thing that if you brake on the First step only the FR Is actually braking, for brake with all four i have to pump like It Is air in the circuit, but actually there Is not.
basically im going Crazy, now i probably going to rebuild the FL, but still im not Sure if i gonna resolve.
Ps. Right now im using dot5 braking fluid.
again Sorry for bad english
Update: i rebuilded the FL caliper so now both front caliper are rebuilded, and still brake early and lock on hard brake, the pump Is new, the brake booster still work and the OneWay tube to the intake Is good... I'm going Crazy.
to this point i think Is the brake proportioner, if not the only solution Is to change caliper .

Last edited by Metinfight; Dec 12, 2022 at 02:50 AM.