Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

bottom line- coilovers or springs

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bottom line- coilovers or springs

for someone who wants solid windy road runs should i go springs or coilovers. i know this debate has happened over and over, but for someone who is not going to adjust suspension setting everyday are coilovers worth the cash?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

Unless you do any type of tracking or autocrosses, I doubt you need more than stock setup, but some springs may work fine as well; even though I am not found of spring-only upgrades.

My 2 cents...
Old Apr 27, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

i am with you that the stock setup is very good. however the wheel gap is something of an eye sore and will become worse when i get new wheels and rubber. are you saying that i should leave it stock even with aftermarket wheels? thanks for the reply
Old Apr 27, 2004, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

anybody else have any input???? thanks for the response
Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:50 PM

COILOVERS!!!!!! forget springs there just going to give you probs, if you want to push the car hard on canyons road racing anything get coilovers.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 01:27 AM
Evolved Member

Coilovers are the only way to fly, but a decent set will set you back $2000 +......
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ammitsuevo
i am with you that the stock setup is very good. however the wheel gap is something of an eye sore and will become worse when i get new wheels and rubber. are you saying that i should leave it stock even with aftermarket wheels? thanks for the reply
Well, let me clarify my perspective a little bit more.

I am not a fan of the stock setup at all actually, it is pretty bad IMHO; there is a big mismatch between shocks and springs and shock travel is too much. However, this is from a road course performance perspective and not off-road performance.

The wheel/fender gap is obviously a nice thing to close, but it is more cosmetic than function, at least if done with springs only.

My point was that if you priority is to get a better profile look rather than performance oriented, than for their price, you can beat the springs; even though they will wear the shocks faster, by how much will depend on the spring rate increase.

If you are after having a true handling performer, you will most likely be disappointed with a spring-only solution.

And, the cost of purchasing and installing springs, is about 35-45% of the cost of coilovers with installation. Spring installation costs are not that different than coilover installation, since you have to take the struts out, and the original springs out, and re-install original struts with new springs. However, for roughly 60% more cost, you get about the 4 times the functionality with most coilovers. Of course that's worth it only if you need or will use that additional functionality

We build custom JIC units, and generally the price range is between $1800-2000 with shipping.

From your original message, my understanding was that you do not do much performance driving in terms of tracking or autocrossing, and I do not recommend spring-only solutions; so that is why I suggested staying with stock setup

Last edited by FT@SELGP; Apr 28, 2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

I understood you and agree with you- the point you made about coilvers are the way to go. i am just making the decision based on the fact that i prefer windy mountain roads vs going to the track, so i want a setup to complement that. however, i also want the abilty to take the ride to the track if i so choose to and have that same set up be beneficial. am i making any sense to anyone?
Old Apr 30, 2004, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

I have springs now, but its a money thing for me, I plan on getting Hypermax's or somthing else.....

-shahul
Old Apr 30, 2004, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Well, here's where my $.02 are at for now (posted in answer to a similar question...)

IMO suspension tuning is an artform and just throwing hardware at your car probably won't get you the results you're looking for. FWIW I'd say get your car setup by John Mueller at RRE (http://www.roadraceengineering.com/) - or someone like him. I've heard nothing but great things about RRE and as far as springs go they seem to recommend Eibach. Of course after reading up, you might wanna save your pennies and go with their JIC custom setup. Visit their website, or do a search for them here on the forums.

Personally, I'm not looking to change the suspension on my Evo until sometime next year. Since I know I'm an ignoramus when it comes to tuning my suspension and that the stock suspension is already very well balanced, I will most likely go with these guys (unless I can find someone as good closer to IL). However, until then I will be playing with the suspension setup on my A4 beater to try to learn as much as I can... (got Koni coilovers coming, mwahaha)
Old May 2, 2004, 01:23 PM

Wait and get the coilovers, I've got a set of tanabes that I was going to put on and at the 11th hour stoped and decided to wait and get what I really wanted "Performance"
Old May 2, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies guys