Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Brake rotor turning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brake rotor turning

Hello,

How does everybody turn their stock rotors? Does one have to use an "on-the-car" turning machine? What is the best way?

Thanks,

jcnel.
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

bump?

Bump...Suggestions?
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

The best way would be the cheapest way. Take the rotors off yourself and take them up to a pepboys or autozone and have them turn them for you.
Old May 6, 2004, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

revisited

Thanks for the suggestion...I was in talking to my Mitsu. dealer today and got a quote for a brake turn, and a set of pads. $800.00 freeking dollars. Well...it "IS" a performance car.

In any case...they made the argument that having an on car lathe turn the disks would elminate the hub to disk variance that could occur (tech was talking about 1 thou. here). While I believe this, I've done many a disk swapout on sportbikes (tighter tolerances?) and just clean the mating area really well, and prep the hub with some light scotchbrite. They've all been ok...so...

If I get the rotors turned at a local Autozone, would they go back on the EVO within "nice" tolerances. Or...

Has anybody turned their rotors off of the car and had good luck in putting them back on without 'any' problems?

Thanks,

jcnel.

P.S. I know this would void the brake warranty, but I'm willing to take the 'hit' on the braking system.
Old May 8, 2004, 09:11 PM

Don't do it

Brake rotors have to be turned on the car. I already made the mistake of taking the rotors to Pep Boys to turn them, which made the car almost undriveable. Immediately after putting them on the car it would shake violently when applying the brakes. I had to take it to the dealer to have them cut right. Rotors have been cut 3 times now.
Old May 8, 2004, 09:46 PM
ED4

Originally Posted by jcnel_evo8
In any case...they made the argument that having an on car lathe turn the disks would elminate the hub to disk variance that could occur (tech was talking about 1 thou. here). While I believe this, I've done many a disk swapout on sportbikes (tighter tolerances?) and just clean the mating area really well, and prep the hub with some light scotchbrite. They've all been ok...so...

If I get the rotors turned at a local Autozone, would they go back on the EVO within "nice" tolerances. Or...

Has anybody turned their rotors off of the car and had good luck in putting them back on without 'any' problems?

Thanks,

jcnel.

P.S. I know this would void the brake warranty, but I'm willing to take the 'hit' on the braking system.

That is true about the hub to disc. One way to eliminate that is to index or mark the rotor to hub placement before removing.

Originally Posted by TurbineHead
Brake rotors have to be turned on the car. I already made the mistake of taking the rotors to Pep Boys to turn them, which made the car almost undriveable. Immediately after putting them on the car it would shake violently when applying the brakes. I had to take it to the dealer to have them cut right. Rotors have been cut 3 times now.
Sounds like someone chucked them wrong on the lathe. Volvo says to never turn their rotors because of the design makes them hard to chuck up. But alot of experienced people do it successfully.
Old May 10, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up experience

Thanks for the comments so far.

Has anybody here had good luck taking their rotors and turning them 'off-of' the EVO?

Thanks,

jcnel.