Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Carbotech brake pads revisited

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2004, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kayaalp
I just ordered a set of XP-9's up front and XP-8's in the rear. I got spoiled by running Hawk Blues in my old BMW track car. Even though the stock pads are adequate for the track, they're obviously not ideal.
I'm curious why use the stock pad onthe rear versus the XP8/XP9 on the front and rear? I realize that it will affect front/rear bias but I'm curious to hear what your experience has been using differing compounds. My thinking is that with the severe front weight transfer under braking that even the stock rear pads can handle the duty.

Steve

Last edited by propellerhead; May 6, 2004 at 07:05 PM. Reason: what I said didn't make any sense
Old May 7, 2004, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by propellerhead
I'm curious why use the stock pad on the rear versus the XP8/XP9 on the front and rear? I realize that it will affect front/rear bias but I'm curious to hear what your experience has been using differing compounds.
Hi Steve,

I'll be using XP-9's up front with XP-8's in the rear. The reason I'm going with a slightly less aggressive pad in the rear is I felt the Evo get a little squirrely under really hard braking with the stock pads. So I wanted to shift the bias slightly to the front. Matt from Carbotech assures me that there isn't a huge difference between the XP-8 and XP-9, so it should be a slight forward shift of the brake bias. We'll see. The rear brakes are pretty cheap anyway, so I can always swap them out to XP-9's if I don't like the feel.

Also, I tend to use some degree of trail braking (you really need it to get the Evo turned in) and I don't want the rear brakes to be too grabby. It's hard to be subtle with your trail braking if you have too much bite in the rear.

Emre
Old May 7, 2004, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not going to start anything, but because of the carbotech bobcats I needed to buy new rotors. At Thunderhill Raceway I had to stop after two sessions because braking in my evo became scary due to the fade. The bobcats are not a track pad. Not only that, regular street driving was incredibly noisy and my rotors were destroyed. I've been comtemplating shipping my remaining bobcats with the old rotors to carbotech just so they can see the damage done by them. Shipping would be a forune, so the old pads and rotors remain here on the floor of my garage. I dont want to revisit the whole carbotech fiasco. I just wanted to give an update on what happened.

I dont doubt that the panthers are excellent pads, it's just the bobcat compound is not good for the evo. If Matt would have offered to trade my bobcats for some panthers, even have me pay the difference I would have been completely happy. I was not impressed though that Matt told me in a PM that he decided to not help me out because my "fellow evo owners" caused a huge flame war months ago and caused him to take the bobcats off the market. I worked with Matt to lcoate the problem and would call him to give him status. Matt was very nice over the phone as I was to him. Its just sad that my cooperativeness and willingness to be patient with carbotech ended up screwing me over in the end.

Dan, glad to hear the Panther XP's worked out for you. I regret not buying those instead of the bobcats. I'm running project Mu pads now. They are completely silent and they stop on a dime. They were less than $120 for the front too.

Last edited by Coolguy949; May 7, 2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old May 7, 2004, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coolguy949
I'm not going to start anything, but because of the carbotech bobcats I needed to buy new rotors. At Thunderhill Raceway I had to stop after two sessions because braking in my evo became scary due to the fade. The bobcats are not a track pad.
As you said...the Bobcats are not a track pad. Nor are they advertized as such. Anway, this thread was about the Panthers.

Originally Posted by Coolguy949
Dan, glad to hear the Panther XP's worked out for you. I regret not buying those instead of the bobcats. I'm running project Mu pads now. They are completely silent and they stop on a dime. They were less than $120 for the front too.
The Evo is a heavy car. I've never driven a car as heavy as the Evo on the track before. Even lighter cars, like E36 M3's, need real race pads on the track. I doubt even the Panther XP's would really hold up to serious use. That's why I'm going straight to the XP-9/XP-8 combo. I've been too spoiled by years of running Hawk Blues on my BMW!

Emre
Old Jun 6, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Some what of an echo here from me:

Original pads became total toast at first track weekend at VIR. Also severely scored right inner rotor surface because of total pad material disintegration.
Originals here:

Second track event at VIR:
Carbotech Bobcats

Completely toast after one weekend. In all fairness, these aren't track pads. But, then again, they held up better than the OEM pads

Third track event at VIR:
Carbotech Panthers

Removed after track event. Half the original material left. Some serious rotor wear (although rotors are still usable), but hey, it's either pad or rotor. Now rolling on OEM pads front and Carbotech Bobcats rear. I will go back to the Panthers if I go back on track, but I will need spare rotors-I think the originials will crack with another track event.

Shawn
Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:23 AM

I just purchased a set of Panther Plus from RRE. I will be using them for AutoX and daily driving.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
As you said...the Bobcats are not a track pad. Nor are they advertized as such. Anway, this thread was about the Panthers.
You know how it is. Everyone is a victim, even if it's because they either don't read or can't comprehend. Who ever said Bobcats were made for the track. I believe Carbotech has explicitly said several times NOT to use them on the track, but they'll be good for autox and the street.
They faded on the track, SHOCKING!
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

I'm rolling with the Bobcats at the moment. I've got half a mind to put the OEM pads back in for awhile. The squealing of the Bobcats is starting to get on my nerves.

Shawn, how many miles did you have on the OEM pads before you toasted them at VIR? That's some dramatic wear you're seeing. How many sessions and laps per a session were you running?

I'm curious because I didn't see dramatic wear with the Bobcats of the course six pretty aggressive 20 minute runs. Now you've got me a tad paranoid.

Steve
Old Jun 10, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Propellerhead, find a good auto parts store and grab a bottle of their best anti-squeal goop. Use it on the "top" 3 edges of the metal backing plate, the inside of the guide pin hole on the backing plate, and where your caliper pistons ride against the backing plate. Oh, be sure the backing plates are clean first. I did that with my Bobcats and they almost never squal now, even on the track.

I did use my Bobcats for several track days because I was hoping for a good crossover pad, and the Bobcats were OK in that capacity; Panther Plus pads would probably have been a better choice.

Coolguys issue with brake fade and Bobcats is something I experienced once. I tried them at a track that needed hard braking and had speeds that reached 140+. By the end of the day, I could feel their grip fading. When I pulled the pads to look at them, they had started to glaze. I'm not mad a Carboteh for that, I was trying to use a street pad in a race type situation. I have a full set of XP-8 compound pads that I'll be trying out the next time I hit the track.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by propellerhead
Shawn, how many miles did you have on the OEM pads before you toasted them at VIR? That's some dramatic wear you're seeing. How many sessions and laps per a session were you running?

I'm curious because I didn't see dramatic wear with the Bobcats of the course six pretty aggressive 20 minute runs. Now you've got me a tad paranoid.
The OEM pads had maybe 8000-9000 miles on them before that VIR event. I had eight HARD sessions, some as long as 40 minutes before they completely delaminated on the right inner pad.

The Bobcats lasted through an entire track weekend. They lasted, but just barely. VIR is hard on the brakes, and gets even worse the better you get. I haven't been truly disappointed with any of the pads - they all worked as advertised, but that OEM pad totally disintegrating before any of the other pads was disconcerting.

Shawn
Old Jun 12, 2004, 09:23 PM
Account Disabled

Use the XP8's or 9's on the track, the others just don't cut it unless your slow lol.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

I attended the same VIR event with Dan and Steve, and I had a new set of Carbotech Panther Plus pads on the car. I also lightly sanded the rotors before installing and bedding in the pads to remove all OEM pad residue.
These pads were awesome. The pads do make noise on the street, but they are track pads...I'll gladly give up some silence for better repeatable braking performance. These same pads went to Road Atlanta two weeks later and again performed flawlessly. No "warped feeling", no fade.
After the track days, again sanded the rotors, and reinstalled the OEM stuff, maybe 20 minutes tops...
If you're wanting a good track pad, go Panther Plus.