Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Finally! Cusco camber plates

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2004, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally! Cusco camber plates

Well I finally got my front pillow ball mounts in from Gruppe-S.
Something like this I don't normally think is worthy of a review but I have a couple reasons.
First, they make a difference in steering feel and it pretty substantial. The car feels a lot better with the plates on there with the lowering springs.
Second, I am becoming more impressed with Cusco part quality. They do some nice work.
Third, if you want a little more height after loweing then they can help there too. I found that I gained a little more fender gap up front afterwards because it preloads the spring a little more then it was after you assemble. The increase in gap is well worth their affect on the steering feel IMO.
Finally, they of course allow camber adjustability so I can get the camber # I want and it is so easy.

One other note to the Cusco remark. I also got my CF rear strut tower bar and I can say that I was very impressed with the quality of the craftsmanship of the end plates and the bar portion. They did a very clean job of putting the aluminum ends in the CF bar and the thing with the end plates included is light as ****.
Old May 2, 2004, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was under the impression that these were for Cusco brand coil-overs (or anything using the same shaft diameter). Will these infact work on the stock struts?
Old May 3, 2004, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They will work on the stock struts.
Old May 3, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, they definitely work fine with the stock struts. I have the Cusco plates in with Tanabe lowering springs on the stock struts. They work fine together.

Tim - My impression is that the plates transmit a lot more road feel to the steering wheel and seat-of-the-pants. This is good on the track and autocrossing, for sure. Initially, I wasn't sure how I would like them for street driving, but now I am used to the plates and they seem acceptable. What do you think?
Old May 3, 2004, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't noticed they transmit a LOT more but it is definitly more. In my book the tighter the feel the better so I am happy with them. I actually believe they improved the ride quality up front but that is most likely due to the increase in preload on the spring when assembled.
Old May 3, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have run caster/camber plates on many late model Mustangs for years now, without any trouble on the street. Never really noticed any more NVH with them though. I myself would install them on anything that had struts. Worth the $$$
Old May 4, 2004, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

OT but they you get your CE-28 yet
Old May 8, 2004, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

How much did they increase your front ride height?
Old May 8, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

You might want to check the toe before and after you change camber settings. I had to settle for one setting because of the way the toe changed.
Old May 8, 2004, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

No I am still waiting for the wheels. We've hit 3 months now.
Doesn't help that they are made to order in the finish. I know they were in the process of making them about 4 weeks ago, problem is the containers sit at customs for too long.

The ride height difference was not that much. If I had to guess 1/4 inch.
I didn't have a measurement for before and after but I can see it and know by the finger gap.

I plan on re-aligning the car again. I was hoping to do the wheels and alignment at the same time. It's a friends frieind and I don't want to be a PIA.
Old May 9, 2004, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

I guess installing those requires as much work as changing springs, right? Did you need to use a spring compressor or any special tools? Thanks for the info.
Old May 9, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Tim,

Did these increase your ride height?