Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help...uneven tire wear on stock suspension..evo8

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2004, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...uneven tire wear on stock suspension..evo8

...as i was doing my second oil change the car had about 7k miles on it. i have noticed that the two front tires had an uneven wear from the inner part...so i rotated the back ones to the front and i also did do the allignment the following day...the only wheel that was off was the rear left, others seemed to be fine...after putting about 800 hundered miles, the front tires seem to be doing the same thing as the previous ones...what i don't get is that i have a stock suspension, the car is not droped but im thinking of droping it so that my correct my uneven tire wear in the front...and then doing the allignment again with the drop on it.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I'm stumped! My first thought was your alignment but you're saying it's in spec. Can you post your Before and After Alignment specs. Also where did you get the alignment done from? Dealership or some other shop. You may want to take it in and have the dealership check it out...but to me it seems an alignment issue. What about tire pressure? What pressure are u running.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Also, if you have agressive camber and only drive stright, you will wear the inner parts of the tire before the outer parts of the tire.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Just a shot in the dark, but are your tires overinflated? That would wear out the mid-section of the tire before the outer edges.
Old May 4, 2004, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

TOE....I had the same problem with mine. Dealer fixed it under warrenty and then offered me new tires. They were going to pro-rate the use on the tires though.
Old May 4, 2004, 04:03 PM

i would defenitly go to the dealer but the thing is that i do have a full stage 1 on the car and i already purchased the tein s springs...so once i put those on with the new alignment we'll see what happens then...but till then this whole thing is weird shi....
Old May 4, 2004, 07:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitet777
Just a shot in the dark, but are your tires overinflated? That would wear out the mid-section of the tire before the outer edges.

I was running 4psi from the get go over recommended, my tires were fine at about 17-18k. Then, they suddenly start wearing fast as you describe. I took it in for an alignment, and found all four tires were over 40 psi and the alignment was dead nuts on. Went home with a new pressure gauge and found my "old trusty" had failed and was reading 8-10 psi under.
Old May 5, 2004, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
cool im going to douple check my pressure but please keep on responding.....
thanks
Old May 5, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

car did same thing no clue why three tires fine rear passenger side jacked beyond belief...very odd
Old May 5, 2004, 05:28 PM

could it be driving style? do you tend to carry long sweepers at the threshold of grip? My fronts did the same. Stock set up also, after about 15k miles of mostly highway (not freeway) driving.
Old May 10, 2004, 05:45 PM

mine is doing the same thing. it started at 2k miles, went in, had it aligned, the car is still wearing uneven on the inside of the front and back. my front tires of bald inside, the middles are good. the rear ones are wearing on the inside, but not as bad as the front, ditto with good rubber on the middle and outside. no my tires are not under or over inflated. i drive aggressively, but not too aggressively. thankfully i picked up a set of used advans to hold me til i trade it for an MR.
Old May 10, 2004, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

for the ones who have uneven tire weaar, do you know the exact # of what the toe, camber set at? and tire pressure? Don't just trust someone who told you they are within spec, get a before and after print out.