Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

i just adjusted the camber on my EVO -- alignment tips inside...

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2004, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just adjusted the camber on my EVO -- alignment tips inside...

hi fellas.

thought some of you might want some concrete info; well, here it is:

2003 EVO. stock wheels, stock tires, stock suspension. i did an initial alignment check on the front end with a backyard setup (custom toe plates, tape measure, etc.). on my car, with 5200 miles, it came out to 1/16" toe out. i jacked her up and pulled off the front wheels. upper bolt that holds the strut to the knuckle has an arrow on it. on my car, they were pointing towards the motor. that is the "less negative camber" setting. i loosened the bolts, flipped them around to the "more negative camber setting". according to my home grown gauge, it now has just slightly less than 2 degrees neg up front. i dropped her down and checked the alignment. mega mega toe in; like 1/2" toe in!!!

next, gotta lift her back up; break free the locking nuts on the tie rod ends. start adjusting in the tie rod ends. evenly, on both sides. little at a time. each time, drop it down, put the wheels on, recheck the alignment. after four sessions, i got it back to 1/16" toe out!

took out for a drive, and feels great! woo hoo!

questions, anyone?

later,

todd
d15b7@aol.com
Old May 10, 2004, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Did you use a ballast for your weight, cause once you sit in the nice settings all change.
Old May 10, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

that is true. the settings do change with different weights. for my racecar, i place 160 lbs in the driver's seat when i set it up. but this is my everyday car; so, do i put in 160 lbs in the drivers seat? or 160 in the drivers seat, plus 135 in the passenger seat (wife riding with me to dinner)? or 160 in the drivers seat, plus 90 in the passenger rear seat (thursday and friday, drop off daughter in school)?

remember, i checked the alignment first (with no weight in the car), wrote down the original, factory setting, and aimed to reproduce that when i was done with adding the additional camber... it definitely came out feeling great. I've lined up my racecars many many times in the past, and i now have a pretty good feeling when i drive them if it is "right" or "all fu$%^ up"!

this was a backyard effort of mine; i was just trying to help out those who are making adjustments on their own, so that they are aware of the effects of changing the camber, and how to rectify the toe change.

i wasn't really "corner weighting" the car, like i do with my other racecars; the car is still on its bone stock suspension, and doesn't have full coilovers on it with which to fine tune the setup.

thats all!

later,

todd