Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

random brake noise with no braking..

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question random brake noise with no braking..

Ok, so this started a few days ago.. I'm starting to get a dull brake squeal out of my front passenger wheel, but randomly, when i'm not pushing the brake at all... when i tap the brakes, the noise stops, but it sounds like that caliper is squeezing slightly without me doing anything.. I haven't had the chance to take the wheel off to inspect the brake, but the rotor looks fine and unscored, and i still see a bit of pad left from the outside, (though I probably need to change my pads soon). anybody have any clue what this could be offhand?

also, do our factory pads have a wear layer on them that starts squealing when the pads are worn? because on top of the random squeal from that one brake, they are definitely getting noisier on light braking at low speeds. the car has just under 25k miles, but a lot of it is highway driving... time for a pad change?
Old Jul 19, 2004, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

My guess is that the wear indicatior is touching the rotor and causing your noise. Yes its time for a pad change if that the case. A good rule of thumb is that you should never let your pad material be thinner than your pads backing plate. This is what I do just to make sure that my "squealers" do not "F" up my rotors.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

yes! definitely time for a pad change.

the noise you are hearing is more than likely the wear indicator... it will eventually sounds like you're running a piece of metal on stone if you don't do anything about it.
which will happily warp your rotors.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
ITs one of two things.. do you find it happens when you come to a stop, or rev the engine slightly?

1) Its the sensor on one of the calipers

2) Its possibly a whistle from your intake or Diverter valve..

Check and change your brakes to be certain, but if its still there after you change them, it might be that too.. Don't sweat it if its the intake..its not a big deal..
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Thx, Im completely sure it's not my DV or intake. I'm fairly sure it is the wear indicator on the brake, I just never knew it would make noise when the brake wasnt engaged.

Now its a matter of comparing the ferrodos and the project mu's
Old Jul 20, 2004, 06:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah, it will when its worn enough, and it will be periodic as you approach the "time to change your brakes" point.. then at some point it'll be constant and annoying..

But I figure I'd give you my experience since I was going nuts trying to figure out what the "brake squeal" was only to find out my brakes were fine and it was a noise from my DV..