Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Any lowering springs that don't hurt handling?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the Tanabe GF210's, and they seem to work great. I don't think it's the springs that screw up the handling, but the fact that you've lowered the car changes the alignment. As long as you re-align it right, I don't think there should be a problem (at least there wasn't for me.)
Old Aug 1, 2004, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

TANABE grip feeling springs... forgot what the measurement was but about 30-60 lbs more spring rate front and rear...

drops the car perfect 1.5 in front and 1.0 rear.. These springs from other posters actually make the car handle better,almost no body roll unlike stock...

But since I dont track the car and its seat of pants feeling take my opinion with a grain of salt
Old Aug 2, 2004, 06:52 AM

Yes...the Tanabe GF210. I'd have to say that it was the best purchace I made for the car. I looked at all of the rates for the springs available for the evo and these matched the stock front to rear spring ratios the best.

Stock is F: 180lbs R: 225lbs
Tanabe is F: 256lbs R: 319lbs

Last edited by EvoMike03; Aug 8, 2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

I also agree that the Tanabe's are better than stock. I autocross mine, and the GF210's are better than stock even with the stock shocks. Just make sure to get an alignment. I think most negative responses to springs come from people that either install them incorrectly or never get the car aligned after installation.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

I also run the tanabe's and they handle great. I autocross every weekend and haven't noticed any disadvantages to having lowered the car. I do plan on getting coilovers, but the springs work fine for now. I also run a different sway bar, and the car's alignement is rather agressive. But it feels great.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds good. Im glad to hear some positive feedback on something other than a $2000 coilover setup. Would these springs work well with a set of cusco sway bars. Im thinking of having those installed at the same time.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:15 AM

Yes....that is basically the extent of my suspension setup minus the performance alignment settings
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoMike03
Yes...the Tanabe GF210. I'd have to say that it was the most well spent $139 I made for the car. I looked at all of the rates for the springs available for the evo and these matched the stock front to rear spring ratios the best.

Stock is F: 180lbs R: 225lbs
Tanabe is F: 256lbs R: 319lbs
Where did you find them for $139??
thanks
Old Aug 2, 2004, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

According to this thread, the eibach prokits give a slight improvement in handling over stock.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=eibach

I have them and I agree. RRE recommends them, so I would trust that they know what they are talking about.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 01:07 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I have Eibach springs on my Evo and it's handling great just like stock. They were installed and aligned by Eibach when I let them borrowed my car for few days to develop this spring.

I think it was taken from the one Eibach developed for Evo7.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by G20
I have Eibach springs on my Evo and it's handling great just like stock. They were installed and aligned by Eibach when I let them borrowed my car for few days to develop this spring.

I think it was taken from the one Eibach developed for Evo7.
That is very good to know. What kind of testing did Eibach do when developing the springs for the EVO 8?
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

i had a set of TEIN Basic coilovers... I changed em out after 1 month. They sucked.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 04tarmacEVO
I just became the proud owner of a 2004 Tarmac Black EVO this past friday and i would like to do a few small modifications to it over time. One of these being lowering the suspension. I have a somewhat difficult driveway to get out of so I dont want to lower the car more than 1.5". I also would like the front lowered slightly more than the rear in order to level the car out. I think the stock handing is incredible so im very concerned when I keep hearing that the aftermarket springs handle worse than stock. Are there any out there that handle as well, or better, than stock?

If I can't find any suitable springs, I may also consider coilovers, but I am not willing to shell out large amounts of money right now. I was looking at either the Tein Basic or Tanabe Pro Sustec S-OC Type II. Both of these coilovers are well under $1000.

I appreciate any input you guys have for me.
Eibach Pro-kit, 1 inch drop all around, Stock suspension set-up is awesome, i don't know what will happen if to the Evo's handling when dropped.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 07:58 PM

I have the Tein S-Tech springs, and I love them. I have a different experience with my springs, as my car seems to handle a lot tighter now than with the stock springs, and the car looks simply amazing. The ride is a bit tighter, but it still has a similar feel to the stock setup. My car also seems to hug corners a lot better now, as I use to do a lot of powersliding before my springs were installed.

I'm extremely happy with the Tein S-Techs, as the handling and style are both superb.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolved03
I have the Tein S-Tech springs, and I love them. I have a different experience with my springs, as my car seems to handle a lot tighter now than with the stock springs, and the car looks simply amazing. The ride is a bit tighter, but it still has a similar feel to the stock setup. My car also seems to hug corners a lot better now, as I use to do a lot of powersliding before my springs were installed.

I'm extremely happy with the Tein S-Techs, as the handling and style are both superb.
I have to agree with you. I love the S-techs especially after you get a new alignment. No more *** end sliding out, just grip! I'll try and post some before and after pics, gotta go through my album though.

Quick Reply: Any lowering springs that don't hurt handling?