Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Any lowering springs that don't hurt handling?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2004, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is the first time people have really gotten behind springs as a performance upgrade... i have a set of htechs in my closet that i'm debating about using... dont know what to do.
tanabe's seem like a good alternative though.
Old Aug 6, 2004, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

I still think 100 lbs of subs and 3-4 hotties in the car is the best way to lower it
Old Aug 6, 2004, 07:45 PM
Account Disabled

H-Techs = Crap, they are too waek of a spring rate to make the car handle properly, it just rakes the nose into the ground, which looks AWESOME, but now your 60Front weight bias is probably near 70% and with a spring BARELY stronger then stock and haveing to deal with LESS travel, well you may as well be piloting a Water bed.

I guess the Eibachs would be ok, as they drop 1 inch front to back, and are progressive, try them I WOULD NOT PUT H TECHS ON, only for looks, not handling.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Yea, I learned the hard way. I have 18" wheels to note......anyway Im not an alignment expert so my vocab might not be great on the topic. But I got the Megan racing springs, BIG MISTAKE!!!! Lowered front 2" and back 1 3/4". Dont get me wrong, looks unreal!!! But Then the place where I had it aligned couldnt adjust the bolt far enough to align my tires. I guess they said you can only bring the bolt out so far. So Im wondering what to do, Im thinking on the the Eibach or Tein. But I would like the front dropped more and I think Eibach are 1 and 1. I would like Front to Back maybe 1 1/4 and 1 or 1 1/2 and 1. If anyone has any good brands/suggestions to get or fix my problem let me know!!!
Old Aug 8, 2004, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

where can i buy the eibachs for the evo?
Old Aug 8, 2004, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

RRE sells them. As do many other vendors.
Old Aug 8, 2004, 04:41 PM

Are all aftermarket springs stiffer than stock? I read an article about norris designs and they had a coilover kit so they could drop the car, but the spring rates were actually less, yes less, than stock so that it was a comfortable daily driver car, and yet because it was dropped there was less leverage and thus less body roll than stock.
Since I'm in New England and the roads are crap, and they never fix the potholes, and all the fixes are actually worse than before, I want a softer spring, but also lowering the car. Anyone make these?
Old Aug 8, 2004, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
where can i find tanabe's for 139?, iam thinking to change my tein-s to tanabe i think its a little bit too much of a drop in front...
Old Aug 11, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

I have eibach for a while now and I love it. I noticed it's alittle stiffer than stock, but that's about it. The shocks seem to be in good condition, becauase I have the springs for almost a year now. No problem with blown shocks. The drop is not much, but I think it's just right for daily driving. I hope this will help some1.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tweakdsm
where can i find tanabe's for 139?, iam thinking to change my tein-s to tanabe i think its a little bit too much of a drop in front...
That $139 price is long gone , the best "I" could find was Evo8.com $178 shipped some one on here is selling them for 160 but dont rember his scren name ?
Old Aug 12, 2004, 07:27 AM
RT
Evolving Member

Hotchkis Tuning has come out with a Sport Coil set for the Evo, price is currently $157.50, powder coated Sebring silver, specs;

Front = 1.5" drop 195 lb/in
Rear = 1.0" drop 275 lb/in

Includes new poly bump stops as well.

Might be worth a try, the hollow rear sway bar we got from them sure works great.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

rt --- wHERE DO YOU GET THIS sPORT COIL SET???
Old Aug 12, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Springs on stock shock shortens the shock travel and the stock shock is not designed to work that way. In short, they don't match. The lower you go, the worse. On a track this is ok (to a point), but on the street, there are bumps, and that's where a bumpy suspension will get you off your line and on your azz.

Springs are more a quick fix for looks...for the not too demanding performance wise. To a point, it will have a sportier feel, but depending on road condition, and speed, you may find it worse than stock setup. Most springs are made by the same factory ... just painted different colors for your buying pleasure.

If you want to do it right, get full coilovers (ride height adjustable/dampner adjustable). Most of the leading companies will do if you are not too picky or need hardcore performance. HKS hiper max II or Pro are great for street. Teins good... I use a shock from new zealand developed for rally cars called DMS. Nice set up also. Think all in all like all things with modifying ur car, it just has to match your needs/capacity.

Dont slam it too much. AWD needs the suspension travel. Plus street road surface is bumpy. one finger in front and 2 in back is what i have found to work well. 17" (i know i know 18"s look the SHIZNIT) wheels are also best for performance on this car... unless you have some massive power and grade A+ pavement.

Last edited by MagEvoVII; Aug 12, 2004 at 08:30 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

I just got a note from Hotchkis Tuning... Take a look is this good?

Drop:
Front - 1 7/16" (36mm)
Rear - 7/8" (23mm)

Spring Rates:
Front - 195# (200# Stock)
Rear - 275# (270# Stock)

The front coils are Linear and the rear is Progressive
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Are the Eibachs better then the Hotchkis Tuning?????

Quick Reply: Any lowering springs that don't hurt handling?