Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Any lowering springs that don't hurt handling?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2004, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any lowering springs that don't hurt handling?

I just became the proud owner of a 2004 Tarmac Black EVO this past friday and i would like to do a few small modifications to it over time. One of these being lowering the suspension. I have a somewhat difficult driveway to get out of so I dont want to lower the car more than 1.5". I also would like the front lowered slightly more than the rear in order to level the car out. I think the stock handing is incredible so im very concerned when I keep hearing that the aftermarket springs handle worse than stock. Are there any out there that handle as well, or better, than stock?

If I can't find any suitable springs, I may also consider coilovers, but I am not willing to shell out large amounts of money right now. I was looking at either the Tein Basic or Tanabe Pro Sustec S-OC Type II. Both of these coilovers are well under $1000.

I appreciate any input you guys have for me.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 05:39 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
At this time, I don't think so.. The one thing I like about the stock suspension is although it rides a bit high, it also has quite a bit of suspension travel that you might lose with aftermarket coilovers, or even to a lesser extent lowering springs.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 05:41 PM

Take it from someone who has put lowering springs on and taken them off a day later.........
NO.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 05:41 PM

what about the complete coilover setups, such as the teins? are any of those worthwhile?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Want your car lowered without screwing with the suspension ?? heres an Idea Put 100 pounds worth of subs in the trunk and 3-4 hotties in the car problem solved.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 06:23 PM

That's some funny sh%t.....But I'm on the same boat. I bought the Tein springs but am hesitant to install for fear of screwing up my handeling. Are those "Basic" coilovers worth getting?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 06:44 PM
Account Disabled

Sprinsg are teh suck dude..

Mayeb Eibach as they only lower 1 inch front and back, thats ok......
Old Aug 1, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

What about some of the lower end coilovers that I mentioned in my initial post such as the tein and tanabe? Would these be at least equal to the stock suspension? I just want to be able to bring it down a bit without screwing up my handling.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 07:48 PM
EvoM Guru

I think anything that changes the geometry will adversly affect handling if everything else remains the same..

The typical issues people have are

1) Alignment issues and handling problems due to poor or insufficient alignment specs..
2) Stiffer feel, but poorer bump handling..
3) Likely need to upgrade the rear anti-roll bar to compensate for the change in the car's characteristics..

And likely many other things I can't think of (I'm no expert on handling in race conditions)
Old Aug 1, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

How about Ralliart springs?
Old Aug 1, 2004, 08:57 PM
EvoM Guru

I don't think the ralliart springs will lower the car.. They are likely designed as a replacement spring with similar to stock ride height.. You may sacrifice ride quality a bit simply because they may not have a progressive spring rate.

I haven't done any research on the ralliart springs, especially when I saw the price..
Old Aug 1, 2004, 09:06 PM

Get the tanabes!!! I love mine. When you re install teh shocks, put the front strut eccentric bolt at full neg. camber and then get teh toe aligned. Mine feels amazing.

oh...and i track my car....so i am not bs'in you when i say they are MUCH better then stock with a perfect lookin drop Front: 1.5", Rear: 1"

Last edited by EvoMike03; Aug 1, 2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 09:09 PM
EvoM Guru

have you gotten it out to the track and noticed any gain/loss in handling? I don't know that anyone with springs (and most with struts) ever take the car to the limit to even notice if it affected their handling.. I know I don't..
Old Aug 1, 2004, 09:11 PM

yes...the handling is alot better. I combined them with a 24mm swaybar at full stiff and a set of Toyo RA-1's. The car outhandles many dedicated, setup, and tuned track cars.
Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Mike, Which tanabe springs are you running. I believe they have at least 2 different models for the EVO.

Quick Reply: Any lowering springs that don't hurt handling?