Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2004, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by escoson
thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. i have not taken it to any track days yet but i would feel alot more comfortable with it being stiff as a board.
If you want the car "stiff as a board" then you'd better be prepared for the handling to suck. The car understeers too much as it is. Making it stiffer will probably make things worse.

I was just instructing with the Boston Chapter of the BMW CCA on Wednesday and Thursday (Aug. 11th and 12th) at Le Circuit Mont Tremblant. My Evo is totally stock except for a proper 4-wheel alignment and Carbotech XP9 pads. I even had stock Advans on. I was passing fully race-prepped E36 and E30 M3's with ease. Track-prepped E46 M3's and 996's were no problem at all. The only guy to pass me was one of the chief instructors with the COMSCC in his beautifully set-up Z06 race car running 315mm wide r-compounds.

There were 2 other Evos there. Both had Tein coilovers, sway bars, boost controllers, etc. etc. The works. Both were slow as hell. The reason? The drivers found the cars uncontrollable with terminal understeer. The stock evo suspension is amazing...it's hard to improve upon unless you really know what you're doing!

Emre