Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

My Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My Suspension Setup

here are the items i purchased over the net this mourning:

Cusco Titanium Front Strut Bar
Cusco Carbon Fiber Rear Strut Bar
Cusco Lower Arm Bar (Type II)
Cusco Front Sway Bar - Evo
Cusco Rear Sway Bar - Evo

let me know what you guys/gals think. im more about handling then massive power so i wanted to get this out of the way first. i also have 17x9 Advan RCII's as wheels with 235/40/17 tires. I am thinking of the Tien Type-Flex with EDS for coilovers. if you guys/gals have any suggestions for coilovers or any other suspension related items let me know im open to all suggestions! thanx
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:05 PM
Account Disabled

What are your handling goals for the car? Are you looking for something more race oriented, or more geared for mixed use 9track and street)?

adam
www.z1auto.com
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

mixed use, more towards autoXing
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:12 PM
Account Disabled

there are lots fo good coilovers out there for the car. I personally am not a huge fan of the Flex for a few reasons....the twin tube shock being one, and the small pistons they use being another. The EDFC is a neat little device to have - on the Evo it might be a bit difficult to find a nice place to mount it as Mitsubishi did not bless this car with lots of open space

We have had great luck with the Cusco Zero2's on the Evo's. They have a big 40mm single piston, and a broad enough adjustment range to make them good for street and trackday/autocross use.

The Flex are nice as well...geared a bit more towards street than all out performance though
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

ok cool thanx, the cuzo zero2 was on my mind as well. ill have to look into them a bit more. thanx for the info.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

forget the flex get cusco

..........all these look good but why a front strut bar? We already have one
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by escoson
Just be careful not to stiffen the front too much with the front sway bar and lower brace. The front is already way too stiff: the Evo understeers too much on the track as it is.

Have you done any trackdays with the Evo already? This will give you a better idea of how to approach your suspension mods. You will find you need to soften the front relative to the rear. Some exta camber up front really helps as well. I would start with camber plates, a proper 4-wheel alignment (camber and toe are WAY off from the factory), and tuning your tire pressures with a good pressure gauge and pyrometer. Once you get the stock suspension dialed-in, you can see if you really need bigger sway bars, etc.

Emre
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Just be careful not to stiffen the front too much with the front sway bar and lower brace. The front is already way too stiff: the Evo understeers too much on the track as it is.

Have you done any trackdays with the Evo already? This will give you a better idea of how to approach your suspension mods. You will find you need to soften the front relative to the rear. Some exta camber up front really helps as well. I would start with camber plates, a proper 4-wheel alignment (camber and toe are WAY off from the factory), and tuning your tire pressures with a good pressure gauge and pyrometer. Once you get the stock suspension dialed-in, you can see if you really need bigger sway bars, etc.

Emre
No kidding. People these days just start slapping on parts for no reason. I think it's more for the "street cred" they get for having all 'cusco' parts. Wise up people, don't just assume that getting aftermarket parts makes anything better.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get Cusco Zero 2R.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

The stock suspension is really good as it is. (i know a lot of ppl have already said it), but it's coming from another person who's tracked the car. if your stock suspension can allow u to keep up with a 465HP car despite the HP disadvantage then mitsu did get sth right and they deserve full credit. I honestly don't know a whole lot about what to change etc and will seek professional advise when it comes time to do the suspension mods. For one there's no way i'm putting lowering springs. They do look cool with a lowered ride, but that's not where my priorities lie.

Get a good set of coilovers that are professionally tuned and as far as bars go definitely seek advise...u don't want to stiffen the car too much.

good luck
Old Aug 13, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Alignment, Alignment, Alignment. I just got back from a long drive after a good alingment. Awesome.

In my opinion you cant make the chassis too stiff. How stiff it NEEDS to be is dependent on a lot of factors.

As far as the cusco stuff goes... That Cusco stuff is really nice, and I am assuming you will get personal satifaction from the cool look. But if hard core performance is your thing, think about this. For what the Cusco stuff costs you could buy a welder, hand tube bender, notcher, and a whole pile of tube to play around with. Chassis braces are a great beginner metal fab project. The pride in making it yourself is something you just cant buy.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. i have not taken it to any track days yet but i would feel alot more comfortable with it being stiff as a board. as far as the coilover situation. alot of people are telling me great things about the cusco zero2R so im definatley going to look in to them this weekend. thank you all for your responses.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:05 PM

escoson - though your choice in tuning parts is admirable, I'd really suggest getting some good seat time in your car as is on the track. The car is VERY capable out of the box. A nice balanced setup with a smidgen of understeer when driven like a lummox. It will be quite some time before you can outdrive the stock suspension and just putting on coilovers just because, well, its cool or the hardcore track guys have them is really a silly way to approach tuning your car. Learn your car, find out its handling deficiencies and then seek a coilover system that will take care of your needs (found through driving experience). The problem with coilovers, aside from the setup hell for a novice, is that it will raise the handling/cornering limits pretty damn high and remove quite a bit of the stock cars progressive nature and adjustability at the limit. Your stiff as board car will have an edge that is razor sharp and I guarantee some nice spins and off road excursions because it snapped back. Please, learn to drive this car before throwing money at it.

As many have said, just get a good performance alignment and some decent pads for the track and learn to drive it. Come back to this thread in a few months.

Last edited by Arnie; Aug 13, 2004 at 06:08 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

235's are a bit narrow on a 9" rim, go with 245 or 255's.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Autoxevo
235's are a bit narrow on a 9" rim, go with 245 or 255's.

Agreed! My buddy has 245/40-17's MX's on his 8" wide Torques and the sidewalls are perfectly vertical. I would think 255's or more on a 9" rim.

Quick Reply: My Suspension Setup