Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Would you even put these tires on?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2004, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you even put these tires on?

I need some help from you tire gurus. I got a set of free tires, however, I am not sure they are even worth putting on. I am hoping that someone out there who might have some experience with/or know a bit about this brand:

Parnelli Jones R Series
235/45/17 93H
Treadwear 340, Traction A, Temp A

Looks like a pretty high tread wear rating… waaaay more than the Advans at 160. However, I just had my 4th full track day on the Advans and I fear that their time is coming to a rapid close (I only have 6,000mi). I probably won’t do another track day until next spring, so I was contemplating putting these on for the fall & winter (I live in Oregon so it’s wet and cool during winter) since they are free, and then just getting a new set of serious sticky’s like another set of Advans or Toyo RA 1’s next spring.

However, I have never even heard of this brand and have never run such a high-treadwear rating tire. I like to get busy in the corners and don’t want to even put these on if they are going to be horrid at breaking loose and unstable at speed.

Any knowledgeable feedback or perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Jason
Old Aug 22, 2004, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Google. All I can find about them are off road tires.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

You are probably better off with Falkens. the threadwear is about the same and its Z rated = stiffer sidewall.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You cannot compare treadwear ratings between brands. Each brand measures it their own way. The 320 rating in that brand might be like a 100 rating for Advan. I mean, it probably isn't, but I guarantee you it isn't an Advan 320. They are all different.

Don't get heavy *** Falkens. The ONLY tire to run if you aren't going to run the stock tires or Toyo RA-1s are Toyo T1S. They are lightweight, last longer than stock and are good in the wet and dry. The only way to go. I'm totally serious.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Sell them and buy UHP all-season tires to use until next spring.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

i'm just breaking 8k miles and it's time for new tires on my evo as well... my first car i had with aftermarket rims and tires was a civic.. the tires that i used were Yokohama Parada Spec 1s.. now they have the spec 2's.. i'll go to these until i get new rims early next year...

i am located a little farther down south than you guys so snow is not a concern

edit: they don't make them in the sizes i require, so i went with the Yokohama AVS es100's

Last edited by Jadiem; Aug 23, 2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

put them on...if they are terrible, take them off...as long as you don't blow them up at 160mph...give them a try. I don't see anything bad coming out of trying them as long as you don't push the car into a tree or anything...

put the tires on, take it easy, and see how much they suck. Make your decision from there