Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

cusco 6 point roll cage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cusco 6 point roll cage

No safety topic group so It kinda goes here. Finally started on the suspension upgrades after all the go fast and appearance. Got the Perrin rear sway bar 25mm and end links along with the Cusco 6 point roll cage. Buyers beware! While the install is pretty straight forward you lose any a-pillar mounted gauges (due to clearance issues) along with your glove box. This is all pretty minor compared to the BIG ONE! The cage is a bolt in only if you have a JDM no sun roof EVO. I didn't want the sunroof and I never use it other than ventilate mode but that is the only way I could get one last fall when I ordered mine. Anyway to make a long story shorter, You have to cut about 2.5" out of the middle bar and almost 3" out of the rear bars to get it to fit. And of course you mess up the pretty blue Cusco paint when you re-weld it back together again. Other than these minor problems, lol, one of the best mods I've done to date. Car is stiffer than hell! Body roll going, going, gone! I'm also awaiting the cusco type 2 underbar and deciding which coilovers to get to complete the suspension. The Tien flex seem to be about the stiffest reasonably priced ones. Also one more question ..... Is the front sway bar really worth replacing? Most cars it is un-neccessary and the rear bar is the weak link.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pics? Also I thought that this cage is not legal for any form of racing since it was made for right hand drive.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Is your car street driven?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Definately pics, the sparco evo in the modified magazine has one and has their
gauges mounted to the actual cage.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

From what I hear the cage is only FIA approved , not NHRA or SCCA approved. Dont hold me to that Im not 100% sure.

Originally Posted by BadazzCR
Pics? Also I thought that this cage is not legal for any form of racing since it was made for right hand drive.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

picts please!!! Very interested on buying one. BTW how much does the cage effect the use of the sun roof?
Old Sep 1, 2004, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

I am looking into this too. I have an evo 7 GSR so has sun roof. From what I know, it shouldnt matter.

What is getting in the way of the sunroof, seems it shouldnt get in the way since it give's more room on the inside. Are the interior dimensions of a sunroof car different?

Is yours the kit that has the front pillars run through the dash or around the front?

Is that the reason ur glove box is unuseable? May be it's cos the cage was meant for the RHD and spacing is different on R and L.

Cusco makes 2 kits that I know of that have the front pillar bars run along front of dash instead of through it. One is for street, where you retain use of rear seats, the other has 3 cross bars in the rear.

This is the particular kit I saw, it had spacing for the sunroof.

In regards to safety standards, I think anything approved from cusco is voided after you start cuttin and welding ... though I think custom roll cages are used so there must be a way to get them approved if you plan to race professionally.

Do-Luck makes really nice stainless floor bar to complete the setup.

Last edited by MagEvoVII; Sep 1, 2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Read the response by RaceComp Engineering

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...22roll+cage%22

The cusco cage is not legal, but sure looks purty.....
Old Sep 1, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chrisw
Read the response by RaceComp Engineering

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...22roll+cage%22

The cusco cage is not legal, but sure looks purty.....
right on... thanks.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 05:16 PM

The cage is symetrical side to side in the front so it does not matter wether or not your Evo is Japanese, your glove box is gone as well as a-pillar gauges. There is plenty of room to use the sunroof and yes the bar runs in front of and not through the dash and leaves the rear seat useable. The cusco 7 point also leaves the rear useable. It just adds a bar side to side in the overhead of the cabin across the rear for an extra $200 ... hardly worth it, make it yourself. Yes my car is street driven. This weekend I raced at the tire rack doing autocross with the PCA (porsche club of america). Twenty cars showed up and I finished 4th (the only non porsche present). The car is so stiff that the gee loads on my car seperated the rubber on my 18" yoko's so I now need two front tires. The cage may not be legal but it sure works for body stiffening and looks good too. Will take pics tomorrow and have a friend help me post soon. Also added the Perrin 25mm rollbar and end links. Next thinking about Tien flex coilovers probably friday or saturday. If any of you guys want to give me suggestions on coilovers I'm listening.
Old Sep 1, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blevo
If any of you guys want to give me suggestions on coilovers I'm listening.

ok.. ditch the cusco roll cage and go with an autopower or something that will survive an acident.

As for struts, I am constantly amazed at the performance my Ohlins offer me. I highly recommend them over JIC or teins.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

CUSCO iS APC of japen , they use too thin of a wall on there tubing ,yes its light but you could bend a piece in a vise , so if its the bragging point that people want or Bling Bling of a blue cage in there care . AND most SCCA clases doint need a cage but if you have a cage that wont pass tech you caint race . So its better off without a cage than with a cage , Or truly do some research and find what class that you want to race in , and if it needs a cage .
Old Sep 4, 2004, 08:29 AM
Account Disabled

I'd have to go measure the thickness of the Cusco cages, but I do know they are 40mm in diameter and chromoly (assuming thats the one you bought..its the most common one).

As for it being SCCA legal, have a local tech look at it, or your car and consult with them as to what the cage must have. As mentioned in the nasioc post, they have been making lots of rule changes surrounding cages lately, so pays to talk to someone first IMHO. Last I checked the Cusco was not SCCA legal, though the Autopower ones certainly are.

adam
Old Sep 4, 2004, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

I thought the Cusco cages were made of chromoly, that is why they are so light.

Chromoly is NOT approved by most USA sanctioned racing organizations.. the tubing walls are thin and the cage is built for right hand drive.....

I had a Cusco cage on my old 240 and the cage looked purty but was totally useless, it didnt add any rigidness and actually made the car less safe to drive in. So I took it out.

It is pretty but that is about it. If you want roll cage for protection and added structure go with autopower, although it is heavy... but there is no way around that.
Old Sep 4, 2004, 01:47 PM
Account Disabled

actually chromoly is most certainly legal in many forms of racing in the US and worldwide. Steel and chromoly have different strengths depending upon their thickness. Just saying something is chromoly or something is steel does not mean one is stronger than another...it depends on what type of steel, or what type of chromoly, plus their wall thickness, tube diameter, etc.

Best thing you can do is get a copy of the rule book for the series you intend to run, and then talk to someone who can give you the specs on the cage you are interested in.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; Sep 4, 2004 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: cusco 6 point roll cage