Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Official HKS coilover review thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official HKS coilover review thread

Well the title say sit all.
I have started a along thread about my recently purchased HKS Hypermax RS coilovers. Since the intial install I have taken it to selgp.com to get it professionaly looked over and tweaked.

Intial impressions: I was very happy with the ride quality and comfort. However the car felt floaty, unbalanced and scary when pushed.

After a proffesional alignment and some pretty high negative camber settings and a height adjustment the car handles much better then when they were intially installed. They are still very comfortable and very adjustable (30 way)

As far as performance is concerned. Intial turn in is not as crisp as stock. And the roll is about equall (probably a bit worse then stock) It makes the car feel more STIish. I would not reccommend these for AutoXers or people that track there car often. But the simple truth is that most people dont even really push there cars and use it for around town driving. I had lowering springs on the car and it was unacceptable to me (most people are fine with them) so I think I am a bit picky....ok very picky but if you want comfort, quality and lowered looks these are for you.

I prefer are touter suspension and actually was expecting better then stock handeling. I possibly should have went with the JIC's but ohh well.

My next step is to install sway bars possibly from whiteline. This... from what I am told will significantly reduce roll.....if true then I think I will be very happy with the my overall setup. I just think that the car is exibiting to much roll and is lowering the cornering threshold of the car. I will keep you all posted and let you know how the combo pans out with the bars and these coilovers.

Overall I think after the sway bars and these coilovers my handeling should be significantly better then stock. But I think you can achieve the same results with just JIC coilovers....obviously you will give up comfort for these units.

Terry
Old Sep 2, 2004, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

I bought the HKS Hypermax 2. I will be putting them on in the next couple of days. Hopefully I will have good results once it is aligned also. How high were you negative camber setting if you don't mind me asking?
Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

-2.5 or 2.8 in front (I forgot)
-2.0 rear
-0.01 toe all around

I have 28 clicks front 26 clicks rear as of now.

I will be going with 25mm front sway bars, 24mm adjustable rears

And some more cusco braces to stiffen the chassis up

Last edited by chapter8; Sep 2, 2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2004, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chapter8
-2.5 or 2.8 in front (I forgot)
-2.0 rear
-0.01 toe all around
That seems like a lot of negative camber at the rear. This might contribute to understeer. And you might want to add some toe-out up front. Evos come with some front toe-out from the factory, and it definitely contributes to the ultra-sharp turn-in these cars are known for.

Emre
Old Sep 3, 2004, 05:28 AM
Evolved Member

I am pretty cinfident with selgp.com setup. They do this for a living.
I will look over the alignment sheet today and verify if these settings are 100% correct.
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chapter8
I am pretty cinfident with selgp.com setup. They do this for a living.
I'm sure they know what they're doing. However, car set-up must be individualized to the needs and driving style of the driver. There's no such thing as an "ideal" set-up in an abstract sense.

Even those of us with stock suspension have taken our cars back and forth to the alignment shop several times before feeling completely comfortable. This is even more improtant with a fully-adjustible coilover suspension.

You had complained that initial turn-in didn't feel as crisp as stock. I'm just pointing out that the stock suspension is set up with a significant amount of toe-out and yours is set up with a tiny bit of toe-in. Toeing out a bit might make you happier. Anyway, there's no harm in trying.

Emre
Old Sep 3, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I understand what ur sayin
Its just they asked me numerous questions and my driving style and set it to what they thought was appropriate. Turn in is not really of importance as is roll or lack of.

There is always room for tweaking...I understand.
But they went over my styles, habits and needs and came up with this
Old Sep 3, 2004, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Chapter8 check your pm.

Robert
Old Sep 4, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

my Hipermax II's should be here sometime this week and I hope that I can get them installed by next weekend. We'll see... but as soon as I get them on I will post my review in this thread
Old Sep 4, 2004, 05:52 PM

Will the sway bar really reduce body roll? When I put the rear sway on my car, the understeer was gone, but the roll is still there. I thought the coilovers were supposed to take care of that.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eclipsegs2k1
my Hipermax II's should be here sometime this week and I hope that I can get them installed by next weekend. We'll see... but as soon as I get them on I will post my review in this thread
Sweet....good to get some input on the II's

I just got back from the mountains this weekend and had a chance to play with various settings. As stated earlier by other hipermax owners the rears like to be set stiffer then the fronts. I ended up with 29 clicks rears 26 ckicks front. The car feels great. Theres still a bit roll but the car feels real solid. Intially the rear was trailing the front and the car felt scary in the hills. Feels alot better now
Old Sep 7, 2004, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

They work great. You can install them yourself (as well as any other coilover) in about 2 hours with Jack stands, Torque wrench, etc. Get the II's not the special US model.
Old Sep 8, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

I installed my hypermax 2's this weekend and got it aligned yesterday. Very nice setup, not too stiff, just right.

Robert
Old Sep 8, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

how is roll? whats the ride height at? post pics!
What setting do you have them set at
Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2004, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

well, it will be several more weeks until i get the coilovers because Vivid had some kind of mix-up with HKS and they had to send them from Japan... Anyways, it will be several more weeks before they get here and then a few days probably before I will do the install.

When they do get here, I will update this thread so check back in about a month probably.

Quick Reply: Official HKS coilover review thread