Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Just installed Tein RAs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2004, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

I was talking about TEIN suspension as a whole when I was talking about them remote canisters.

Well, I bought the HT with AutoX in mind, but sad to say, the racing scene here is going down the crapper..no events that I can participate in, so I'm limited to B-road drives and abit of street racing . Driving experience wise, these shocks sharpens up the car no end. I was previously using HAs...didn't really do it for me. After hard driving, the damping tends to go haywire and I needed to add a few clicks to bring up the damping. I figure its the suspension fluid heating up too much and losing effectiveness. However, HT does make the car alittle twitchy round the back end, but it makes for much more fun! But in view of the total lack of comfort (Try holding the front strut brace and attempt to shake the car..I had two beefy guys do it from each side, my car barely moved) I have ordered a 12/9 spring setup for road use.

With regards to the rebuild, I figure any high-end shock will require regular rebuilds with constant use. I hear word that one of the local dealers for TEIN is slated to start a rebuild service here by this year, so I figured that wouldn't be much of a problem. They currently offer rebuild services by sending the shocks back to Japan, so it's just a little more expensive, but still within reach.

Originally Posted by JT-KGY
BakZamGai,

Don't think Tein makes RS for EVO... unless it's new and not on their website.
You got HT?? Do you track/autox your EVO? Just wondering how it works
at the track. Also, I was told that HT will only last roughly 20k miles on the street before need to rebuild.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 03:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by bo0oost
Isn't it bad to induce oversteer with stiffening the rear shocks?
I assume you mean sttiffening the rear springs, not shocks? I believe that Tein says that can go up or down 2-3 on spring rate without revalving. 10 is far from being too stiff to maintain rear suspension compliance over bumps on typical pavement. But in general, it's better to go stiffer on bars and softer on springs. It's just that in this case I don't think 10 is overly stiff.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
I assume you mean sttiffening the rear springs, not shocks? I believe that Tein says that can go up or down 2-3 on spring rate without revalving. 10 is far from being too stiff to maintain rear suspension compliance over bumps on typical pavement. But in general, it's better to go stiffer on bars and softer on springs. It's just that in this case I don't think 10 is overly stiff.
Sorry, misunderstood. I thought he meant the shocks set at 10/12 when he said:

"I got these lightly used from another board member who did well with them in this 12/10 configuration. I also have the original 9s."
Old Sep 11, 2004, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

I guess you haven't driven them on a bumpy road yet. I'll wait until you do. I liked to assert that my Cusco 02R's could ride like stock. Now I'm using a 6/4 setup to be within 25% of stock...10/8 isn't even streetable...I'm stunned you find 12/10's "like stock", regardless of dampener setting. That's almost four times the stock spring rate in the front and our cars aren't that different in weight or f/r distribution.

FWIW, Gary Sheehan ran lower rates f/r on the USTCC Subaru.

Last edited by Conduit; Sep 11, 2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

OEM EVO is very stiff already though... on streets I find it almost as stiff as my M3 running 650/700 springs.

Originally Posted by Conduit
I guess you haven't driven them on a bumpy road yet. I'll wait until you do. I liked to assert that my Cusco 02R's could ride like stock. Now I'm using a 6/4 setup to be within 25% of stock...10/8 isn't even streetable...I'm stunned you find 12/10's "like stock", regardless of dampener setting. That's almost four times the stock spring rate in the front and our cars aren't that different in weight or f/r distribution.

Old Sep 12, 2004, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

You ordered your HT with 12/9 springs?
I thought it comes with 16/12s??

Originally Posted by BakZamGai
Hi

I was talking about TEIN suspension as a whole when I was talking about them remote canisters.

Well, I bought the HT with AutoX in mind, but sad to say, the racing scene here is going down the crapper..no events that I can participate in, so I'm limited to B-road drives and abit of street racing . Driving experience wise, these shocks sharpens up the car no end. I was previously using HAs...didn't really do it for me. After hard driving, the damping tends to go haywire and I needed to add a few clicks to bring up the damping. I figure its the suspension fluid heating up too much and losing effectiveness. However, HT does make the car alittle twitchy round the back end, but it makes for much more fun! But in view of the total lack of comfort (Try holding the front strut brace and attempt to shake the car..I had two beefy guys do it from each side, my car barely moved) I have ordered a 12/9 spring setup for road use.

With regards to the rebuild, I figure any high-end shock will require regular rebuilds with constant use. I hear word that one of the local dealers for TEIN is slated to start a rebuild service here by this year, so I figured that wouldn't be much of a problem. They currently offer rebuild services by sending the shocks back to Japan, so it's just a little more expensive, but still within reach.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 09:35 AM

My HTs came with 16/12 springs which is currently installed in my car. But for the moment, not doing much trackwork, so I ordered another set of 12/9 springs for road use.

You ordered your HT with 12/9 springs?
I thought it comes with 16/12s??
Old Sep 12, 2004, 05:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Conduit

Yeah...what JT-KGY said. Stock Evo ride is harsh and choppy already. While I can imagine that these Teins might feel worse than stock on the NJ Turnpike, they feel about the same as stock driving around the normal roads where I live. Stock is like the worst of all worlds -- harsh ride and still leans a lot in turns. I still don't have a lot of time on them, but I drove them more today and they still felt close to stock. A stock WRX is way way softer than an Evo on the street.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

I spoke with Tein USA before about this... they actually told me that HT will not work well with 12/9 (basically RA springs)...did you call Tein about this? What did they say?

Also... did your HT come with camber plates? Do you happen to have the part number?

Thanks,

My HTs came with 16/12 springs which is currently installed in my car. But for the moment, not doing much trackwork, so I ordered another set of 12/9 springs for road use.

Last edited by JT-KGY; Sep 12, 2004 at 11:54 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

EVO8LTW,

Hey.. I remember you're looking for wheels..
Have you decided yet?

I'm looking at those Enkei RPF1s... they are nicely priced (dont have much money
left after the coilover) and light weight.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 03:57 AM
EvoM Guru

EVO8LTW,

Hey.. I remember you're looking for wheels..
Have you decided yet?

I'm looking at those Enkei RPF1s... they are nicely priced (dont have much money
left after the coilover) and light weight.
I picked up a used set of 17x9 FN01RCs and may be looking to get another set as well. I really want only 9 inch or wider rims to keep my tire choices open (up to a 275 40 17).
Old Sep 13, 2004, 08:25 AM

Well, I had my TEIN dealer here in Singapore contact TEIN Japan for this recommendation. But given the adjustability of the HT (16 click bump and rebound independent), I think getting the right damping shouldn't pose much of a problem.
Honestly, Singapore roads are pretty smooth 95% of the time, but man, I tell you..that 5% just makes me regret ever deciding to install the HTs. But bring on the smooth corners...woohooooo!! All of the unhappiness and crap is outta the window.

Yeap, I got mine with camber plates. If you want the part number, download the manual for the HTs from the website. They should have the part number for the camber plates there.

Cheers
Dennis

I spoke with Tein USA before about this... they actually told me
that HT will not work well with 12/9 (basically RA springs)...did you call Tein about this? What did they say?

Also... did your HT come with camber plates? Do you happen to have the part number?

Thanks,
Old Sep 13, 2004, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

No.. I'm wondering about the part number for the HT coilover with camber plates.
US site only has HT w/o camber plates.

Well, I had my TEIN dealer here in Singapore contact TEIN Japan for this recommendation. But given the adjustability of the HT (16 click bump and rebound independent), I think getting the right damping shouldn't pose much of a problem.
Honestly, Singapore roads are pretty smooth 95% of the time, but man, I tell you..that 5% just makes me regret ever deciding to install the HTs. But bring on the smooth corners...woohooooo!! All of the unhappiness and crap is outta the window.

Yeap, I got mine with camber plates. If you want the part number, download the manual for the HTs from the website. They should have the part number for the camber plates there.

Cheers
Dennis
Old Sep 13, 2004, 01:21 PM
EvoM Guru

I would just call them up. One of the reasons that I decided to go with Teins is that they have a significant USA presence.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:01 PM

Okie..I was thinking of the TEIN Japan site.
But anyway, the part number should be DSR52-VIL2. HTs SHOULD come with top mounts as per standard...it's part of the kit setup.

Cheers
Dennis

No.. I'm wondering about the part number for the HT coilover with camber plates.
US site only has HT w/o camber plates.

Quick Reply: Just installed Tein RAs