Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Just installed Tein RAs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2004, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Called Tein USA for the HT coilover today.
Tein told me that HT with camber plates (for EVO) has been discontinued.
I could however order HT w/o plates then purchase plates made for SS coilover
to piece up the coilover. They are a perfect fit according to Tein.
This however puts the total price for coilover over $2500...

I was also told that there's a new coilover going to be available for EVO which
will 1st appear in the upcoming SEMA show.

Originally Posted by BakZamGai
Okie..I was thinking of the TEIN Japan site.
But anyway, the part number should be DSR52-VIL2. HTs SHOULD come with top mounts as per standard...it's part of the kit setup.

Cheers
Dennis
Old Sep 14, 2004, 01:34 PM

Hmmz? U serious? Mabbe they stopped production...but from what I have on my PDF documents, camber plates are definitely part of the setup. U can surf on down to TEIN Japan, they have it on there.
Camber plates are pretty cheap, anyway, I dun think you need to buy TEIN ones...you can pretty much get anything u want and use it, just make sure the top of the shaft fits in nicely. I know DMS from Australia makes some funky Camber/Castor adjustable plates...very tasty..

Cheers
Dennis

Originally Posted by JT-KGY
Called Tein USA for the HT coilover today.
Tein told me that HT with camber plates (for EVO) has been discontinued.
I could however order HT w/o plates then purchase plates made for SS coilover
to piece up the coilover. They are a perfect fit according to Tein.
This however puts the total price for coilover over $2500...

I was also told that there's a new coilover going to be available for EVO which
will 1st appear in the upcoming SEMA show.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Yeah...what JT-KGY said. Stock Evo ride is harsh and choppy already. While I can imagine that these Teins might feel worse than stock on the NJ Turnpike, they feel about the same as stock driving around the normal roads where I live. Stock is like the worst of all worlds -- harsh ride and still leans a lot in turns. I still don't have a lot of time on them, but I drove them more today and they still felt close to stock. A stock WRX is way way softer than an Evo on the street.
I've driven a stock evo a number of times. My 02R's are _far_ stiffer on a lighter car. What I am saying is, look at the spring rate. 670 lb springs are 670 lb springs. There is no reason to run a spring that stiff on a car this light anywhere near the street. And 16/12's? What in the world are you going to use 894 lb front springs for daily?

You want to use as little spring as necessary to achieve the best contact patch under the loads you are applying. If these kinds of spring rates were necessary, why don't we see some of the more respected tuners like RRE using them? Pogoing down the street on 900lb springs isn't going to make you fast. It makes you foolish.
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure if RRE tune cars for autox... but this 16/12 is the claimed autox setup from Tein. Of course... they are suppose to be run with 265+ R compounds. With
that much more grip, the stiffer springs would be put to good use. Have you ever
autox your EVO?? If you do, you'll know that stock EVO 3 wheelie around almost
every corner... why?? the damn stock spring is WAY WAY too soft for a front heavy
3300lb car.

A well tune 2200 lb civic si (89-90s) will run on 450-500lb spring... I think 850+ on
a car that is 1100 lb heavier is not too bad.

Originally Posted by Conduit
I've driven a stock evo a number of times. My 02R's are _far_ stiffer on a lighter car. What I am saying is, look at the spring rate. 670 lb springs are 670 lb springs. There is no reason to run a spring that stiff on a car this light anywhere near the street. And 16/12's? What in the world are you going to use 894 lb front springs for daily?

You want to use as little spring as necessary to achieve the best contact patch under the loads you are applying. If these kinds of spring rates were necessary, why don't we see some of the more respected tuners like RRE using them? Pogoing down the street on 900lb springs isn't going to make you fast. It makes you foolish.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Conduit
670 lb springs are 670 lb springs.

Originally Posted by JT-KGY
Not sure if RRE tune cars for autox... but this 16/12 is the claimed autox setup from Tein. Of course... they are suppose to be run with 265+ R compounds. With
that much more grip, the stiffer springs would be put to good use. Have you ever
autox your EVO?? If you do, you'll know that stock EVO 3 wheelie around almost
every corner... why?? the damn stock spring is WAY WAY too soft for a front heavy
3300lb car.

A well tune 2200 lb civic si (89-90s) will run on 450-500lb spring... I think 850+ on
a car that is 1100 lb heavier is not too bad.
I apologize for getting right in the middle of a discussion; however, I thought I add my 1 cent.

I am sure you all heard the phrase "do not ever compare spring rates from one car to another", and I am sure you heard the terms "wheel rate". Spring really don't matter at the end of the day. The suspension geometry dictates effective wheel rates; and no one car's wheel rate will be the same even if the spring rates are the same.

For example, on a WRX/STi, spring rates of 10 kg is roughly equivalent to 11.4 kg on the Evo (rear); even though the car are roughly the same weight and weight distribution. Hence the Evo would feel more streetable if it carried 10 kg springs vs. and STi carrying the same springs.

On the other hand, I would never tune an Evo or WRX or STi with 16/12 springs; that is rediculous; track or autocross. I think that is totally out of balance, and I just cannot understand for the life of me, why TEIN, JIC, Zeal keep doing that. The 16/12 is truly extreme; unless of course they take into account things that we may not be considering; such as wheel width, tire staggering, anti-roll bars, chassis stiffeners, suspension bushings, ride height, etc.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

You are absolutely correct.. my experience (though small) with E36 M3s cannot
be used but same can be said with Conduit's with WRXs...

I was merely using spring rate to corner weight ratio to show that 16g might not
be all that much... given that I trust Tein know what they are doing.

I believe HT's 16/12g is designed for EVO running R compound tires 265 or larger.

Originally Posted by FT@SELGP
I apologize for getting right in the middle of a discussion; however, I thought I add my 1 cent.

I am sure you all heard the phrase "do not ever compare spring rates from one car to another", and I am sure you heard the terms "wheel rate". Spring really don't matter at the end of the day. The suspension geometry dictates effective wheel rates; and no one car's wheel rate will be the same even if the spring rates are the same.

For example, on a WRX/STi, spring rates of 10 kg is roughly equivalent to 11.4 kg on the Evo (rear); even though the car are roughly the same weight and weight distribution. Hence the Evo would feel more streetable if it carried 10 kg springs vs. and STi carrying the same springs.

On the other hand, I would never tune an Evo or WRX or STi with 16/12 springs; that is rediculous; track or autocross. I think that is totally out of balance, and I just cannot understand for the life of me, why TEIN, JIC, Zeal keep doing that. The 16/12 is truly extreme; unless of course they take into account things that we may not be considering; such as wheel width, tire staggering, anti-roll bars, chassis stiffeners, suspension bushings, ride height, etc.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

IMHO, any spring rate on the Evo above 10 kg requires R-comps of some sort to maximize tire usage. I cannot disagree with the 265 section, though I'd say 275 to 315 for 16 kg front springs; but the part that I find extreme is the front/rear balance, or actually imbalance
Old Sep 27, 2004, 09:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
This thread is kind of old now, but thought I'd report back that I've done my first event (actually an autox school) with the RAs and was very happy with them after about 30 runs to get used to them. The car was very predictable at the limit and far more responsive to on- and off-throttle inputs (which is good thing for rotation on demand, but also something that can quickly bite you if you lift at the wrong time). The street ride is fine. While it's stiffer feeling than stock, it's not a lot stiffer on normal roads, at least with the shock settings (especially the rear ones) relaxed a bit. It also doesn't pick up the inside rear tire as much (though it still does lean enough to lift that tire). Overall I'm very happy with the setup