Notices
Evo Vendor 'Group Buy / Specials' Classifieds This forum is for any specials or group buys that vendors may have. If you're looking for the best price, this is the place to check. Please keep in mind that these items are not guaranteed to be in-stock.

Big Brake

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2004 | 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

can't you buy air guides for the stock brakes through mitsubishi?

10% off 189 +79?

Do you really need to upgrade the rear pads as well or is it just the front pads that are weak?
Old Jan 22, 2004 | 11:27 PM
Evolved Member

What an interesting statement.. "stock evo brakes suck". That is the opposite of what every reviewer has ever said. It looks like all the auto mag people must be living in their own reality.
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 12:32 AM
Former Sponsor

come on guys

I track my EVO Buschur stage 4- (cams and Flash this weekend) I destroyed my stock pads the second day...they got too hot turned to cheese and disintegrated (got to drive home 400+miles on the e-brake). So I guess the orig coment for me at least is true...in my book if this happens they"suck" I very carefully broke in my pads when my car was new and had OVER 60% of the pad thickness when I took my EVO to the track for the first time (read my post about how much fun it was to keep up and pass zo6s and M3s (Buscherflash ...WOW)). Total track time Sat.= 80 minutes Sunday the pads died in the 3rd 20min session sooo. I don't care what the Auto mags say... they live with the car for a weekend... all spiffed and tuned by the factory boys. Less than 2 hours at racing speed=dead pads=pads are not up to the task= weakest link=brakes suck(unless you have $250.00/trackday for new factory pads to throw away) makes the rest of the system look worse than it really is. I did all the RR mods too SS lines cooling "ducts" (a $5.00 plastic deflector which mitsu f/u for over $100.00for) and Motul600 Brake fluid. The origonal comment stands for trackdays the brakes as delivered "suck" at a minimum you need to upgrade the stock pads.(so the stock system doesn't seem so "suckie") The Baer Rotors are a good racing upgrade (you save 3/4 lbs/corner... (both unsprung and rotating weight. rotors are sold sep. from"hat" cheaper to replace with the higher abrasiveness of full racing/street/racing pads and at about $250/corner a nice alternative to stock replacement. The Stoptechs are MUCH better than stock... and you pay for it ... (but **** some of you guys are spending $2500.00+ for JDM bling bling wheels) if you can't afford them don't whine to throw someone who can afford them away from a great upgrade for their EVO... but if your are going to track your car brakes that are consistant every corner and stop you the same every lap (and brakes don't have to fuss/worry about) will do more to drop your laptimes than almost any other mod. (I got around both the Factory five cobra spec racer and the stock Z06 under braking)
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Thumbs up

what he said!
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

There is a difference between need and want. If you are tracking your car, you can probably get away with just some improved brake pads and you will be just fine (which has been said before and is being repeated here for your viewing pleasure). Just moving to new pads has made a difference in my daily driver - and making a generalized and sweeping statement akin to our brakes sucking is just a sales ploy that is short on accuracy. Geo brakes suck, the brakes on a Saturn suck - Evo brakes do quite well, even with our "second rate" pads that dust and squeal during hard breaking.
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

The StopTech Brake Kit is for the SERIOUS tuner/racer only! It is 100% unneccesary if you use your evo to just cruise. Get some upgraded pads and lines and you'll be set and happy. But if you are serious about performance and racing there is no comparison btwn the stock brakes and the stoptech kit. Please anyone who thinks different or is unsure about the difference come out to the track, hang out and ride shotgun in our project evo!

Last edited by Vivid Racing; Jan 23, 2004 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 10:41 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

Isn't it normal to swap the pads/rotors after every serious race anyways?
If you have drilled rotors, yes they are going to be much better than stocks (for racing) but are also going to wear out a lot quicker (cracking). Same thing for the pads.
I wonder how your race pads would work in single digits temperaturs here in the northeast.
This car was primarily made for streets and anyone into serious racing will know changing brakes is a must.
The comment that brakes suck is inappropriate.
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 01:40 PM
EvoM Guru

ignorant comment too. The pads are up to any street Evo. They will not hang in there when they have to deal with a 375+hp monster on a track day. I toasted mine too in a 2 days course. The breaking system is about the best you can get, and yes the stock pads are not up to track days, just like race pads are not up to street driving. Weak pads, yes, weak braking sysytem, you're on crack!
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Talking o.k.

your dog IS cool, but i'm still disatisfied with the stock evo brakes, but that's just my view...
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

I wonder about our readers when some one thinke the EVO isn't a race car (WRC anyone)... and I know we don't have the braking systems the have..(cost more than my EVO) I also think for the $ spent our cars have a good brake system.... I even think that everyone here is going in the same direction... So taking the vendor to task, (shallow merchantising) for providing excellent options for those of us who have found the limitations of the stock system, is splitting hairs. Street = stock ok trackdays = minimum upgraded pads (Cheyne & Haden gave some value added pad info for anyone not already in the racing scene) and they get dissed because they also sell the stuff??? Like my previous post stated everything offered is good value and appropriate as you expand what you can do with your EVO...(and what will be required at that new level). I wish I had put on race pads before I went tracking :-) Let's not flame a vendor just because they've found a weakness (stock pads everyone agrees?) and provided viable and affordable options... Oh yeah because of Vendors like Vivid Racing we don't have to wait 3 months or airfreight everything we want/need to keep our cars fast safe and looking "mahvaless darling" "come on guys"
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 02:57 PM
SoR
Evolved Member

Well, I'll definitely give a guy credit for knowing how to get attention
Old Jan 23, 2004 | 03:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Talking BINGO!

SoR you win the prize for being the coolest person on this thread today and you may brang all night to your friends about how cool you are!
Old Jan 25, 2004 | 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Aside from fitting bigger tires on our car, you won't be stopping any faster with that Stoptech kit vs. the stock Brembos.

Just get some better fluid, some race pads, and some brake lines for a better feel, and you're good to go.
Old Jan 25, 2004 | 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

maybe i'm not seeing something right, but in the pic of your front left rotor it appears that the radius of the cross drill holes are flairing the wrong way? it looks like that should be the front right rotor.
Old Jan 26, 2004 | 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by puckadog
maybe i'm not seeing something right, but in the pic of your front left rotor it appears that the radius of the cross drill holes are flairing the wrong way? it looks like that should be the front right rotor.
On my '93 300zxtt I had the AP 4-pot set-up with slotted rotors up front; in the rear I had stock calipers with Power Slot rotors. Each manufacturer recommended that the slots face opposite directions, hence, the fronts went one way the rear the other way. The fronts looked backwards

Sorry for going ot, but what breed of dog is that in your avatar?

Last edited by Bogie; Jan 26, 2004 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Big Brake