Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

My Evo X (and 135i) dyno tuning results over time

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noize, Honestly now, Are you happy with the car relative to the X? Especiially when it comes to the handling and driving experience?

Later, Ken
Old Nov 20, 2008, 02:25 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by CatalystGod
I dont think a BMW would be able to hold 29psi of boost either, dual turbo or not. Just different designs.
Sure it would on race gas, but the stock turbos aren't up to the task. Put a big single on it, 110 octane, injector upgrades (an X would need all these things as well), and no sweat. A 4B11 won't hold 29psi on pump either, I promise. But I agree the 4B11 and especially the 4G63 are more robust for high boost.

same here. But ultimately, acceleration and ultimate handling won over ride comfort and premium brand perks for me.
X loses in acceleration unless we're talking dragstrip launches, but wins hands down in handling. At any rolling speed, my current car would poop on my X. It makes 40 additional whp and tq with less mods while weighing 200 pounds less.

Originally Posted by KPerez
Noize, Honestly now, Are you happy with the car relative to the X? Especially when it comes to the handling and driving experience?
I'm happier with it than you might think. I like this car infinitely better than my X, but I am a 35 year old dad. Of course I would rather have the X on a track day, but there is no other time where I have pined for any of my Evos since buying this car. If you want to make a 1 series a track star, the parts are there. There is a full Quaife unit, M3 suspension bits that work, and good coilovers. You can also fit pretty aggressive tires under the rear.

I never said the 1 is a better car, because that would be stupid. But it is flat out better for what I want and need. No regrets.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
Sure it would on race gas, but the stock turbos aren't up to the task. Put a big single on it, 110 octane, injector upgrades (an X would need all these things as well), and no sweat. A 4B11 won't hold 29psi on pump either, I promise. But I agree the 4B11 and especially the 4G63 are more robust for high boost.

That statement sent me on a wild goose chase for the last 2 hours . I have been searching on google and BMW forums to see what kind of boost they are running on their setups. NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER. Seems like most of the BMW owners (not all) dont know anything but reading HP figures and throwing money at Dinan. Can you please direct me to a proper website with numbers. I would definitely like to learn what the competition is capable of!!!!

X loses in acceleration unless we're talking dragstrip launches, but wins hands down in handling. At any rolling speed, my current car would poop on my X. It makes 40 additional whp and tq with less mods while weighing 200 pounds less.
Again, Did you actually have someone race you with your own X to know this? I have had my share of encounters with 335i, 335xi, 135i coupes and sedans, and I am yet to see someone smoke me with them. To my knowledge, staying on the right gear at the right time has always helped me, its all about fast shifts and right shifts. I hope this statement does not rub you the wrong way, it is in no way intended to do that, I am just interested in knowing more about how you reached to these conclusions contrary to most people's experiences.

I never said the 1 is a better car, because that would be stupid. But it is flat out better for what I want and need. No regrets.
I agree and respect your opinion and taste.

Last edited by CatalystGod; Nov 20, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

to put some more perspective at what kind of power seth is putting down in his 135...

My car on the same dyno made 305whp.

My mods are:
-Ecutek tune
-Buschur Exhaust
-UR resonated test pipe
-Cobb Intake Tube
-AMS Upper Intercooler Pipe
-AMS Intercooler
-K&N drop in filter.

This 135i is nothing to look down upon, it sounds like its a beast! Nice work seth. get the exhaust taken care of and see how much more it puts down!
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

I really like the 3 series as well. It really came down to me not being wanting to pay 65k for the M3. I also didnt realize the 335 had this much tunning potential when I got the X.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

The 135 is a great car. Good choice
Old Nov 21, 2008, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

That statement sent me on a wild goose chase for the last 2 hours . I have been searching on google and BMW forums to see what kind of boost they are running on their setups. NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER. Seems like most of the BMW owners (not all) dont know anything but reading HP figures and throwing money at Dinan. Can you please direct me to a proper website with numbers. I would definitely like to learn what the competition is capable of!!!!

Again, Did you actually have someone race you with your own X to know this? I have had my share of encounters with 335i, 335xi, 135i coupes and sedans, and I am yet to see someone smoke me with them. To my knowledge, staying on the right gear at the right time has always helped me, its all about fast shifts and right shifts. I hope this statement does not rub you the wrong way, it is in no way intended to do that, I am just interested in knowing more about how you reached to these conclusions contrary to most people's experiences.

I agree and respect your opinion and taste.
My X making 342 whp on the same dyno would get whooped by the 135 from a roll. Again, my X is making about 50whp more than his ever did on this dyno. The 135 with the procede is sick, until you need to turn

Plus, a lot of the bmw interweb fans are a bit tarded. Seth showed me a few threads where poeple are claming their stock 135i will outrun a GTR.... ummm, no.

Last edited by Dyno4mance; Nov 21, 2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance
My X making 342 whp on the same dyno would get whooped by the 135 from a roll. Again, my X is making about 50whp more than his ever did on this dyno. The 135 with the procede is sick, until you need to turn

Plus, a lot of the bmw interweb fans are a bit tarded. Seth showed me a few threads where poeple are claming their stock 135i will outrun a GTR.... ummm, no.

342whp ? thats nice! which turbo upgrade?
I have to admit tho, from a roll those new 335i and 135i are quick!!!!
I went to the BMW this march but I just couldnt afford 40k on 335i coupe...
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

Sorry to send you on a goose chase. People are running 13-14psi typically, some up to 16, and a couple crazy guys peak at 18 or so, but the issue is these stock turbos are super tiny and suck.

Don't think that I meant you can run big boost on the stock turbos, because you simply can't.

And I have no love for Dinan regarding the N54. Overpriced and underpowered.

M3 S54 blocks hold boost, and its not a factory FI engine. The N54 can take boost, I promise. The problem with the car now is not the engine internals, its the turbos and the fuel system.

But you don't have to take my word for it, the answer will be apparent soon: AMS has started work on the BMW N54, so I'm sure we'll see some big power cars in not too long.

Again, Did you actually have someone race you with your own X to know this? I have had my share of encounters with 335i, 335xi, 135i coupes and sedans, and I am yet to see someone smoke me with them. To my knowledge, staying on the right gear at the right time has always helped me, its all about fast shifts and right shifts. I hope this statement does not rub you the wrong way, it is in no way intended to do that, I am just interested in knowing more about how you reached to these conclusions contrary to most people's experiences. [/QUOTE]

First off, I know. We can't/won't talk about street racing on here, so as a moderator I will abide by that.

But if that's not good enough for you, look at the dyno graphs. A strong X with a full turbo back, IC piping, and a tune makes about 300whp on this dyno. It makes around 300 torque as well. The BMW weighs 200 pounds less, makes 30whp and torque more, and has dramatically better area under the curve.

Regarding an Evo IX, those also make about 300whp with full exhaust and a tune. They are 100 pounds lighter than the 135, but still lose on power to weight. If you need more info about specifics, PM me. I can't disclose more on the open forums due to rules.

Originally Posted by Dyno4mance

I don't think that we know that for sure... You have a turbo upgrade. It looks like it on paper, but I am definitely a lot more skeered of your X than a typical bolt on affair car.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:38 AM
Account Disabled

That is impressive for sure. What is the fastest 335 or 135 out there? I'm talking drag racing.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:31 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Geo@SpeedClinic
That is impressive for sure. What is the fastest 335 or 135 out there? I'm talking drag racing.
11.8@118 on drag radials, stock turbos.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:31 AM
Account Disabled

is it a 335 or 135? Damn any link to the mods? That is very impressive.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd guess it was 335i, just because its been out longer. If it is, just imagine what the 135i would do with 200lbs less curb weight. It may look like a pregger, but it sure doesn't move like one.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 09:44 AM
EvoM Administrator

The fastest one is a 335i, and its Shiv's personal car.
The mods are a Vishnu v3 PROcede (they are $999) and their dual cone intake ($199), and full exhaust with race gas.

He also has DRs.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off, I know. We can't/won't talk about street racing on here, so as a moderator I will abide by that.
LOL, I almost forgot that statement could be qualified as "street racing". Thanks for reminding me, I'll be more careful next time.

Quick Reply: My Evo X (and 135i) dyno tuning results over time