Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Ultimate 02 downpipe Vs shorty downpipe

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ultimate 02 downpipe Vs shorty downpipe

Finally got around to installing the revised version of the ultimate racing 02 down pipe. No other changes between these two runs. The rest of the exhaust is the same as always, ultimate 3" single exit catback with mini muffler test pipe. Dyno4mance dyno reads low so the gains would be larger on a higher reading dyno.

As you can clearly see, it picks up power everywhere and some spool. This is also on a smallish upgraded turbo (the Blouch Dominator 1).

I'm very happy with the performance especially given that there has been no noticable change to the exhaust note or volume.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 07:44 AM

How do you like their mini-muffler test pipe? Do you know how it sounds against a straight pipe or resonated test pipe? I want to get rid of the cat, but don't want it to be excessive when I'm cruising down the highway at 80mph :-/ I'd be running the UR duel exit cbe, fyi...
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raptor1028
How do you like their mini-muffler test pipe? Do you know how it sounds against a straight pipe or resonated test pipe? I want to get rid of the cat, but don't want it to be excessive when I'm cruising down the highway at 80mph :-/ I'd be running the UR duel exit cbe, fyi...
Dual exit is louder than the single exit.

I had the metal substraight cat and sold it in favor of the mini muffler test pipe. Noize has the resonated test pipe with single exit cat back and we could not tell much difference between the two from a sound level perspective.

No matter what exhaust you get it will be loud at 80mph due to the gearing... you'll be pushing close to 4,000 rpm at 80 with a gsr.

Straight test pipe + dual exit = LOUDEST
MiniMuffler test pipe + dual exit = LOUD
Straight test pipe + single exit = LOUD
MiniMuffler test pipe + single exit = Liveable
Resonated test pipe + single exit = Liveable

IMHO of course

At some point I'm going to have Ultimate make me up a dual exit that necks down to 2.5" pipe at the dual split as it won't hurt the power and will keep the volume down.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:58 AM

you say the dual exit sounds much louder. Would you say it sounds good...?

I love the look of the dual exit and wanted to go with UR's axel back. But it is my DD and I dont want it to be obnoxiously loud for communiting
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
One man's loud is another man's not-so-loud.

I would opt for the mini muffler test pipe if you want to help cut down on sound. I think it was a smidge quieter than the resonated test pipe I have now, esp on decel.

Ultimate rocks, because they will work with you and install those parts wherever you want/need them.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:22 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome review. Thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shapdog
you say the dual exit sounds much louder. Would you say it sounds good...?

I love the look of the dual exit and wanted to go with UR's axel back. But it is my DD and I dont want it to be obnoxiously loud for communiting
Hard to say as I never heard one in person. My loud comment came from talking to Darryl over at Ultimate Racing.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Ive never heard of the blouch 1, why did you use it instead of going bigger
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Dual exit is louder than the single exit.

I had the metal substraight cat and sold it in favor of the mini muffler test pipe. Noize has the resonated test pipe with single exit cat back and we could not tell much difference between the two from a sound level perspective.

No matter what exhaust you get it will be loud at 80mph due to the gearing... you'll be pushing close to 4,000 rpm at 80 with a gsr.

Straight test pipe + dual exit = LOUDEST
MiniMuffler test pipe + dual exit = LOUD
Straight test pipe + single exit = LOUD
MiniMuffler test pipe + single exit = Liveable
Resonated test pipe + single exit = Liveable

IMHO of course

At some point I'm going to have Ultimate make me up a dual exit that necks down to 2.5" pipe at the dual split as it won't hurt the power and will keep the volume down.
Thanks for the info! I would have thought the single would have been louder than the dual
Old Apr 20, 2009, 05:28 PM

Nice review. That earlier spool looks nice. I wonder if you'd get the same (~120 RPM) gain on a 100% stock turbo?
Old Apr 21, 2009, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4myX
Ive never heard of the blouch 1, why did you use it instead of going bigger

Because it's a daily driver and I wanted to retain as much bottom end as possible. The Dom 1 is a 48 lb/min turbo so it should do just fine on pump gas. I don't ever plan to run race gas or meth on this car so I don't need a turbo that "shines" at race gas boost levels.

I'm only looking to get 365 - 375whp on the dyno4mance dyno, which is in the the 450whp dynojet range. With The addition of cams and valve springs (already ordered) and a retune, I should be right where I want to be and still retain a lot of bottom end.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mad_VIII
Finally got around to installing the revised version of the ultimate racing 02 down pipe. No other changes between these two runs. The rest of the exhaust is the same as always, ultimate 3" single exit catback with mini muffler test pipe. Dyno4mance dyno reads low so the gains would be larger on a higher reading dyno.

As you can clearly see, it picks up power everywhere and some spool. This is also on a smallish upgraded turbo (the Blouch Dominator 1).

[IMG]http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt57/mad_viii/Ultimate-02dp-vs-regualr-downpipe.jpg[IMG]

I'm very happy with the performance especially given that there has been no noticable change to the exhaust note or volume.
Your theory about gains being larger on a different dyno is not true. Gains are relative; baseline and final numbers are not.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Your theory about gains being larger on a different dyno is not true. Gains are relative; baseline and final numbers are not.
I don't see how you figure that.... IF for example one dyno calculates whp based on 25% drive train loss (dyno dynamics) and another uses 15% (dynojet) you don't see how the gain on the dynojet would be 10% more than the dynodynamics?

If for example the 02 dp is good for 10whp on the DD that would equate to 13.333 crank hp increase..... take that same 13.333 crank and run it on a DJ and you would see 11.33 whp increase.

Perhaps I'm over simplifying the dyno math but it sure seems to hold true based on both cars I have had tuned on this dyno. For example, where most dynojet shops might see 35 whp gain from cams, this dyno would always see more like 25whp gains.

Whatever, each to his own opinion,
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:20 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Wrong.
While the gains are static (of course), the finite amount of what constitutes a horsepower on different dyno types isn't. I would think someone with a boosted RSX that has probably seen Church Auto Test numbers would know better.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 06:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by burt_reynolds
Nice review. That earlier spool looks nice. I wonder if you'd get the same (~120 RPM) gain on a 100% stock turbo?

Sorry for the OT but your Avatar and screen name are great. Big hat.....its funny!

The stock o2 housing is very restrictive. The downpipe makes no difference in power but changing the o2 housing nets big gains. Its a PITA to change but it is well worth it.

Keith