Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

FP Red 411whp/365wtq DG Tuned!

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fp red looks nice. Makes me wanna break the bank
Old May 28, 2009, 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evofan_08
The fp red looks nice. Makes me wanna break the bank
The red does make great power although I would take the blouch dominator 2.0 over it any day at this point. We haven't tested either of them on race gas or 30+ psi yet for me to make a clear decision of the winner. Both turbos made withing 10 whp of each other on pump gas.

The red does surge in 4th/5th gear also.

I can have blouch dom. 2.0's within a week. No wait time
Old May 29, 2009, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Re-Tune

Ok Kevin was anxious to see what we can squeeze out of his setup with a more conservative boost level. Today we re-tuned the car and focused on more DG Motor's custom dual mivec and ignintion mapping for a great steady smooth power and torque curve all the way to redline.

At a conservative 24.5psi we made 400.5whp with a nice smooth curve that pulls all the way to 7500rpm.

Here is the graph:

Kevin also had us smooth out the idle. The great thing with cosworth mx1 cams is that you can tune them out for a stock idle or a wild lopey idle.

Last edited by DG Motors; May 29, 2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:14 AM

beautiful curve... hats of to you DG, that is one good looking tune
Old May 29, 2009, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by storm_trooper
beautiful curve... hats of to you DG, that is one good looking tune
Thanks Storm_Trooper! This car is an absolute blast to drive.

I think this is the perfect daily driver.

It's a full bolt-on car with cams and an upgraded stock appearing turbo.

You have the best of both worlds, stock like spool and driveability with an extra 200+whp that can knock out mid 11 second time slips, pass emmission, and pack a group of friends in to go cruising.
Old May 29, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

I know mustangs are heart breakers but damn! your dyno make them look like geo metros . excellent pick ups though on the mods. I'd like to see what the picks ups would be on the race fuel as well.
Old May 29, 2009, 03:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gexxer
I know mustangs are heart breakers but damn! your dyno make them look like geo metros . excellent pick ups though on the mods. I'd like to see what the picks ups would be on the race fuel as well.
Yep our dyno reads low but 400whp with only 24.5 psi is no slouch. The magic is in Custom Dual Mivec and Timing adjustments....You don't always need crazy boost to reach hp levels. It's a combination of the right parts and tune.

Good news is that Kevin has a Stroker Kit on order. We will be having some fun in the next few weeks. We will be seeing what this car can do around 30psi on pump gas with some serious torque as well!
Old May 29, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DG Motors
First off, thank you for serving our country!
FP Red turbos need boost to start. 25+ psi is where this turbo starts making some nice power. This build is a daily driven car so we need to leave a little room on the table. The customer has a decent commute each day so he may stop at different gas stations from time to time etc.... I would like to state that 411whp on our dyno is much higher on a dynojet. At 26.5 psi, this car is making some serious power. These injectors left for about 80-90% duty cycle so yes, the 1000cc would give some more tuning room. The main reason we stopped here is because the customer has a stroker kit on the way. This tune is safe and reliable and plenty of power for the next month or so until we pull the motor, build it and then shoot for 30+ psi
The red does make great power although I would take the blouch dominator 2.0 over it any day at this point. We haven't tested either of them on race gas or 30+ psi yet for me to make a clear decision of the winner. Both turbos made withing 10 whp of each other on pump gas. The red does surge in 4th/5th gear also. I can have blouch dom. 2.0's within a week. No wait time
Do explain what this Blotch turbo is for me please. I've never heard of it. It's my pleasure serving although multiple deployments is getting old. This is my fourth time here in Iraq. I'm tracking on the 25+PSI as I will more than likely run the Aquamist meth kit if I choose the FP Red. It basically comes down to which would be the most spirited drive up to 500whp with meth/93 - BBK Full or the FP Red (v2).
Old May 29, 2009, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pure_evo
Do explain what this Blotch turbo is for me please. I've never heard of it. It's my pleasure serving although multiple deployments is getting old. This is my fourth time here in Iraq. I'm tracking on the 25+PSI as I will more than likely run the Aquamist meth kit if I choose the FP Red. It basically comes down to which would be the most spirited drive up to 500whp with meth/93 - BBK Full or the FP Red (v2).
The Mitsubishi EVO X Dominator 2.0 is an outstanding performer featuring a proprietary state-of-the-art 52 lb/min Garrett GT compressor wheel (with an unheard of 79% maximum efficiency) combined with a race proven proprietary 11 bladed Garrett turbine wheel all wrapped up in a true Mitsubishi bolt on package.

This turbo is an all around great stock appearing/bolt on turbo. It has proved to make the same power at 25psi compared to the red with the same bolt-ons. We still need to test both turbos at higher boost levels to really see which one will make more power.

Initial Pros and Impressions over the FP Red:

No Surge. FP Red has compressor surge in 4th/5th gear

Blouch Dominator 2.0 is readily available compared to FP's wait time.

Produces same power as FP Red at 25psi with even bolt-ons between each other.

I don't think you can go wrong with either turbo although the FP Red has proven to go mid 9's and countless FP Red evo IX's have gone 10's.

Big Valley Performance went 10.7's with the FP Red on their evo x.

Not too much information is out there with the Blouch Turbos and track times.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Mitsubishi EVO X Dominator 2.0 is an outstanding performer featuring a proprietary state-of-the-art 52 lb/min Garrett GT compressor wheel (with an unheard of 79% maximum efficiency) combined with a race proven proprietary 11 bladed Garrett turbine wheel all wrapped up in a true Mitsubishi bolt on package.

This turbo is an all around great stock appearing/bolt on turbo. It has proved to make the same power at 25psi compared to the red with the same bolt-ons. We still need to test both turbos at higher boost levels to really see which one will make more power.

Initial Pros and Impressions over the FP Red:

No Surge. FP Red has compressor surge in 4th/5th gear

Blouch Dominator 2.0 is readily available compared to FP's wait time.

Produces same power as FP Red at 25psi with even bolt-ons between each other.

I don't think you can go wrong with either turbo although the FP Red has proven to go mid 9's and countless FP Red evo IX's have gone 10's.

Big Valley Performance went 10.7's with the FP Red on their evo x.

Not too much information is out there with the Blouch Turbos and track times.

This is not totally true. The Dom 2 has a lot of surge, I know cuz i have it on my car and actually called Blouch and they told me a few people have been reporting surge at mid RPMs from this turbo. The surge starts frome about 3500 to 5000rpms. It actually stopped me from turning the boost up pasted 24psi. I dont know if the elvation has something to do with it or not but i am putting cams in my car hoping to get rid of the surging. Well see what happens.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
This is not totally true. The Dom 2 has a lot of surge, I know cuz i have it on my car and actually called Blouch and they told me a few people have been reporting surge at mid RPMs from this turbo. The surge starts frome about 3500 to 5000rpms. It actually stopped me from turning the boost up pasted 24psi. I dont know if the elvation has something to do with it or not but i am putting cams in my car hoping to get rid of the surging. Well see what happens.
Well to be honest we haven't witnessed any surge in any gear at any rpm. Our car has over 200 dyno testing pulls with this turbo at all different kinds of boost levels. We have taken this turbo from waste gate pressure to past 30psi and still no instance of surging.

We are right at sea level. We are still using oem bov as well.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Likely much has to do with each car's setup and if you are spooling the turbo to high boost quickly at low RPM's that is where you would likely see compressor surge. Higher loads in 4th and 5th gear at lower RPM's would be the most likely spot it would show up and it's possible that higher altitudes would change the efficiency maps enough to trigger it earlier.

I know that FP has released a new Anti-surge compressor housing for the FP Red on the Evo 8/9 platform but perhaps you could get an Evo X FP Red/Dom 2.0 modified with a welded on inlet that incorporates it as well.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 08:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Likely much has to do with each car's setup and if you are spooling the turbo to high boost quickly at low RPM's that is where you would likely see compressor surge. Higher loads in 4th and 5th gear at lower RPM's would be the most likely spot it would show up and it's possible that higher altitudes would change the efficiency maps enough to trigger it earlier.

I know that FP has released a new Anti-surge compressor housing for the FP Red on the Evo 8/9 platform but perhaps you could get an Evo X FP Red/Dom 2.0 modified with a welded on inlet that incorporates it as well.

Would be interesting..
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Well to be honest we haven't witnessed any surge in any gear at any rpm. Our car has over 200 dyno testing pulls with this turbo at all different kinds of boost levels. We have taken this turbo from waste gate pressure to past 30psi and still no instance of surging.

We are right at sea level. We are still using oem bov as well.

I don't think FPReds surge on the dyno. Mine didn't, at least. It wasn't until I had it on the hwy that I noticed a fluttering when trying to roll to full throttle from 4000RPM or so. I compensate by not putting my foot all the way in it. Still hit good boost, but it's a balance. Too much gas, and it flutters. Will see later this year how cams, HKS WGA and E85 impact it.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Tractionlimit
I don't think FPReds surge on the dyno. Mine didn't, at least. It wasn't until I had it on the hwy that I noticed a fluttering when trying to roll to full throttle from 4000RPM or so. I compensate by not putting my foot all the way in it. Still hit good boost, but it's a balance. Too much gas, and it flutters. Will see later this year how cams, HKS WGA and E85 impact it.
I beg to differ. Listen to the last few pulls in the video and you can clearly hear compressor surge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMs6Vx7jwZU

Every setup will change how something works but every single FP Red we have had on the dyno surges.

Here is another example of an evo 9:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crgAa9P1N5s

Quick Reply: FP Red 411whp/365wtq DG Tuned!