Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

EFI Logics tuned EVO X FP Red w/ AMS boltons - 25psi pump gas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI Logics tuned EVO X FP Red w/ AMS boltons - 25psi pump gas

Just wanted to share my cars progress in the 1500 miles that I've driven it so far since I bought it new in October '08.

0-300 miles, bone stock, 208whp Mustang Dyno
300-600 miles, AMS boltons (minus downpipe), stock tune, 279whp Mustang Dyno
600-700 miles, COBB AP shelf "Stage 2" flash, 310/321 Mustang Dyno
700-1500 miles (current), FP Red, fuel system, AMS downpipe, 363/309 Mustang Dyno

Current (Engine) Modifications list:
AMS Short Ram intake
AMS Upper intercooler Pipe
AMS Widemouth downpipe
AMS Test pipe
AMS Single Catback
255 Walbro Pump
Ultimate Racing Walbro kit
Ultimate Racing inline fuel filter kit
1000cc Injector Dynamics injectors
FP Red turbo
GM 3-port boost control solenoid (HybridKOOP PnP harness)
COBB AccessPort v2
AMSOIL Dominator Racing 5/20 oil w/ AMSOIL filter

All of the tuning was done by Chris Schoen-Kiewert at EFI Logics in Bethel (http://www.efilogics.com), Connecticut. These guys are class acts and their shop is impeccable. Chris is a Subaru wizard with the AccessPort, and also tuned my wife's STi with a Blouch Dominator 4.0 w/ meth on stock motor to over 400whp on his low reading dyno.

Since my car still runs a stock FMIC and stock clutch, my goal was a solid 50-60whp over my Stage 2 power level, on pump gas with a safe tune. Chris made that happen. The car is tuned to 11.3:1 down to 11.1:1 pretty much dead flat through the powerband. What is most impressive, is the lack of boost taper in my setup. I utilized a GM 3-port boost control solenoid which Chris was able to nail down nicely in the tune. We are talking a peak of 25psi, "tapering" to 24, maybe 23psi at worst. The car made 363/309 and pulls very very nicely and smoothly. It's a shame to have to shift gears as the power just keeps coming from the FP Red.

I'm still doing some analysis on the FMIC. I drove in 84 degree heat and did some back to back pulls and didn't experience air intake temperatures over 115. Most temps were in the 90's, even going WOT. I'd say that the EVO X has a very efficient FMIC for stock. Obviously, the EVO X clutch isn't as much of a great story... but so far, it's holding up just fine. Once it dies, a twin will be going in, then we will have some Q16 pulls, most definitely going into the 400's on a stock housing turbo. Here are the plots:

HP/Torque

HP/AFR

HP/Boost

All in all, I am up 158whp from stock, and the car feels great. I will be bringing it to the dragstrip soon, and am hoping for a high 11.XX @ almost 120.
Feel free to let me know if you have any comments or questions, thanks!

- Louis
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

nice man! im debating on doing cams or a red next...thats some nice numbers for the Red with out cams. How does the dail driving feel with it compared to stock...hows the difference in spool?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo-IX-MOMO248
nice man! im debating on doing cams or a red next...thats some nice numbers for the Red with out cams. How does the dail driving feel with it compared to stock...hows the difference in spool?
Slightly laggier than stock turbo, but it's soooo worth the wait. Once it hits, it hits hard. Daily driving it back and forth to work is perfect. Partial throttle response is great -- you really can't even tell the car was modded whatsoever aside from the exhaust tone... until you step on it, then all hell breaks loose.

Cams do help a great deal in the EVO X based on what I've seen. Cams will be next year for me, as I want to skip the stock valvetrain Stage 1 stuff and go right into something more aggressive with springs and retainers for an 8K redline.

- Louis
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

This is definitely keeping me from upgrading - I want 400+ right off the bat.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Bring your car with this setup to a Dynojet and you will be in the 400's all day long
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ultimateone
This is definitely keeping me from upgrading - I want 400+ right off the bat.
These are some really good numbers for just a Red with no cams on a Mustang dyno.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo-IX-MOMO248
These are some really good numbers for just a Red with no cams on a Mustang dyno.
Thanks. Keeping in mind this is a SAFE pumpgas tune. As in ZERO knock count, ever, 12 degrees BTDC @ redline, and nothing higher than 11.3:1 except during spool.

The car did make 380+ on a 27psi spike but I didn't want to run the car at that level quite yet.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolving Member

^^check your PM's when you get a chance
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HybridKOOP
Thanks. Keeping in mind this is a SAFE pumpgas tune. As in ZERO knock count, ever, 12 degrees BTDC @ redline, and nothing higher than 11.3:1 except during spool.

The car did make 380+ on a 27psi spike but I didn't want to run the car at that level quite yet.
That is a safe setup though 11:3 is uber safe.

Ive had a 450+whp SRT and close to 400 on my Evo so Im looking for that same power again eventually.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ultimateone
That is a safe setup though 11:3 is uber safe.

Ive had a 450+whp SRT and close to 400 on my Evo so Im looking for that same power again eventually.
Yeah, I've had twin-turbo Supras, Mustang Cobras, tons of all-motor and boosted Honda's, etc... so I am very familiar with the game.

I will say this. "400 horsepower" means absolutely nothing to me anymore unless I KNOW where it was made, and on what multiplier. At this point in my life, I've seen cars vary OVER 100 horsepower from one dyno to the next. The only thing that truly concerns me and grabs my attention are trap speeds at the drag strip. Can't fudge anything there.

I'm almost tempted to take my car to a local Dynojet for the hell of it to see what it does. But then again, who knows if they'll kill the actual number in order to attempt to gain my business. Ha.

- Louis
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

That spool up looks great. Can't complain about the rising hp throughout the graph either too haha
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

That's so sick...stock fmic, too? Have you looked into the AMS piece since you have a lot of their parts anyway?
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrdevo
That spool up looks great. Can't complain about the rising hp throughout the graph either too haha
Thanks for the compliments! Spool is great for such a big compressor wheel.

Originally Posted by DannyK24
That's so sick...stock fmic, too? Have you looked into the AMS piece since you have a lot of their parts anyway?
Yes sir, stock FMIC and LICP for right now. IF I do a FMIC anytime soon, it will be the AMS unit w/ their LICP. But for now, or until I see any kind of repeatable heat soak in real world conditions, I will be holding off. The fit and finish on all of my AMS parts that I have so far will be keeping me a loyal customer.

- Louis
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:42 AM
Account Disabled

When you PM'd me I didnt realize you were a stock fmic. Power curve looks fun!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MattsT67
When you PM'd me I didnt realize you were a stock fmic. Power curve looks fun!
Yeah, I failed to bring that to your attention, haha. Stock FMIC, LICP, clutch, trans, engine, etc. on 93 octane. I know that Chris @ EFI can't wait to tune it on Q16 since he loves the EVO X torque tables/limp mode sooooo much

- Louis

Quick Reply: EFI Logics tuned EVO X FP Red w/ AMS boltons - 25psi pump gas