Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

GT3076r with 380+ whp at STM's Mustang Dyno

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as a comparison - Edmunds Project Evo X recently got the GT30R tuned at RRE - here is the link: http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/2...ett-gt30r.html

The project car has cosi's. Hiboost - if you dont want this in your thread, ill delete it - just let me know. I figured since your thread already had this many hits on the subject it would be good fodder.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's actually a nice comparison article, they have 91 octane and Cosworth Cams where as I have 93 octane and a few more bolts-ons but no cams. Seems like their power falls off a bit compared to what I've seen but that could depend on timing, Mivec, and boost levels quite a bit. I did find that anywhere after 4k I'm making more power and torque than I did before on the stock turbo hands down., looks like they are down a bit until 5k.

I love this statement:

There is a bit of light surge when climbing a modest grade at 80mph though.
I'm trying to tune this out of my setup right now, seems that 3800 rpm's just as you are getting into boost is a bit unstable going up hills. So far I've added a bit of timing to get more power before boost is needed to maintain speed. Changing speed to 77-78mph seems to avoid the situation as well but it is strange how it only seems to effect a narrow rpm/speed in 5th gear.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
congrats hiboost! The graph looks very good, nice #'s and doesnt look like you could get it any smoother. Im sure the car is a blast to drive. well done!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I truly appreciate the effort and information you put into your post. Very nicely done.
Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice looking car, and great numbers.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice car man, needs meth+higher boost to make that turbo come alive, nice color car 2
Old Nov 11, 2009, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Here is the mod path I took to get this car together as a street friendly daily driver that could fair well at the drag strip and road course on the weekends:

Power Stage 1 (Bolt-ons to get you around 375-400 crank HP and mid 12's 1/4 mile):
- ETS 3" Dual Catback Exhaust (Somewhat loud, will add resonators soon)
- Ultimate Racing Mini-Muffler Testpipe (quiets down exhaust drone a bit)
- ATP 3" Transformable O2 Downpipe w/ 44mm Tial Wastegate (can be bought as internal wastegate initially)
- Forge Wastegate Actuator (worked great holding mid range boost better but now I use the Tial integrated with the O2 DP)
- AMS 3" Air Intake (uses 3" all the way through, need to calibrate with tune for best results)
- ETS 2.5" Upper and Lower IC Pipes (not huge HP but a good idea with front mounter intercooler)
- ETS 4" FMIC (thickest you can get without modifying brackets)
- Dejon Tool Dual Boost Controller (25 & 27 psi settings typical)
- Boost Gauge (-30 vacuum to 30 or 35 psi is good)
- AEM UEGO Wideband O2 sensor and gauge
- AMS Underhood Shifter Bushings (cleans up rubber feeling when shifting hard)
- AMS Front Motor Mount (I have the Red, Black is better for the street, less engine movement)
- TurboXS Knocklite (great tool to warn of knock counts without the need for a laptop)
- Custom EcuFlash Tune using EvoScan datalogging on a Tactrix 2.0 cable (Self Tuned)

Power Stage 2 (Supporting mods for larger turbo to allow 500-600 crank HP and mid 11's or better):
- Works BOV (stiffer than stock spring, but not adjustable, good drivability and holds 30 psi)
- ACT-ME1-HDG6 Clutch (six puck sprung disc, street disc would be easier to drive)
- ACT Streetlite Flywheel (figured might as well since I was in there)
- AMS Clutch Master Cylinder Reinforcement Ring
- AMS SS Braided Clutch Line
- Walbro 255lph GSS342 Fuel Pump (supports 550-600 Crank HP)
- Deatschwerks 800 CC Injectors (supports 550-600 Crank HP)
- Mishimoto 1.5" Radiator (optional but stock is 1" and it's recommended if you road course the car)
- Full-Race Tubular Exhaust Manifold (has great low end torque and good top end gains)
- DEI Titanium Exhaust wrap on DP and Headers
- DEI Cooltape on heat exposed components including compressor side of turbo
- Stock location Bolt-on Garrett GT3076R (spools 20 psi boost @ 3600 in 4th)
- DEI T3 Titanium Turbo heat shielding
- Custom EcuFlash Tune using EvoScan datalogging on a Tactrix 2.0 cable (Self Tuned)

Handling Mods:
- Eibach Pro Springs
- Robispec Rear Anti-roll Bar
- Custom Brake ducts
- Goodridge SS Brake Lines
- Girodisc Magic Brake Pads (street) Raybestos ST43 Brake Pads (roadcourse)
- 275/30-19 Pirelli P-Zero Nero Tires mounted on 19x9.5 Kosei K3 Wheels

Future Mods:
- Custom Intake Manifold (has larger capacity to supply more air between combustion cycles)
- 65mm Throttle Body
- Cosworth MX1 Cams (previous mods and race gas boost levels should get me close to 600 crank HP with cams)
- Coilover suspension (haven't settled on which one yet)

If I ever go to E85 or a larger turbo then 1000cc or 1200cc injectors plus a better fuel pump setup will be persued.

Last edited by Hiboost; Nov 11, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiboost
AMS 3" Air Intake (uses 3" all the way through, need to calibrate with tune for best results)
Do you think the ATP 3" compressor inlet elbow will work with the AMS intake? If so, it should gain a decent amount of power on the topend, but it may cause more compressor surge. Just a guess on the surge, but most definitely more power.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

I was thinking about trying that out, right now the intake elbow is matched to the turbo inlet size. Going with a larger 3" elbow would allow more flow right up to where the anti-surge ring ports are but it would still have to neck down to where the inducer is. The 3" AMS intake will work fine but likely I'll have to get a 3" to 3" coupler to connect it properly. I'm thinking about making my own piece as it doesn't need to be rocket science.

1st - 4th gear have no WOT compressor surge on my setup. Currently I can go WOT at 3200 rpm's in 5th and avoid WOT Compressor Surge since boost just skims by 20 psi by 3400 rpm's. If I start at lower RPM, which is rare, I just need to let off a bit until I get above that trouble area. If I'm that low in the RPM's I should have just downshifted to 4th for the correct powerband so it's not a huge problem and just a matter of learning the car.

Garrett Intake Elbow:
58mm (2.28") Inner Diameter
68mm (2.68") Outer Diameter

BTW that article where it mentioned light part throttle surge uphill at 80 mph, I almost completely removed that condition after some light portwork smoothing the exhaust side of the turbo. Next time I'll get a little more aggressive and see where it gets me. It's possible the smaller diameter, higher velocity exhaust manifold helped as well.

My goals are to hit 550 Crank HP on pump gas (~124 mph traps) and 600 crank HP on race gas (~128 mph traps). Likely I'll need to address the whole "running out of 4th gear RPM" thing with an upgraded taller final drive from Buschur Racing.

Last edited by Hiboost; Nov 11, 2009 at 10:27 AM.