Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Garrett GT3071r on the Dimsport Dyno WORKING!!! (evo x)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garrett GT3071r on the Dimsport Dyno WORKING!!! (evo x)

After waiting for over 2 months, the thing finally works.

I had to turbo upgraded back when it was first launched and it used to just loose the boost at certain rpm levels (ball bearing engineering clearly not working).
We had to wait for ATP to get the downpipe sent out and that was such a long wait but it seemed to do the job, tuners reckon that there is clearly a problem with the evo x's and the build up of pressure (bottleneck/ something like that, i'm not too clued about these things)

My local tuners use the Dimsport dyno and its pretty conservative on the hp figures but here goes.

Standard - 266.3hp (torque 40.8 at 4385RPM)

Engine mods before turbo - 330.7hp (torque 43.3 at 4560RPM):
1) Ecutek
2) JIC Exhaust system - Full genuine titanium exhaust with mid pipe $2600
3) BLITZ intake power kit

Turbo mods - 377.4hp (torque 46.3 at 4385RPM):
1) GARRETT GT3071 - running at 1.63 bar/23.64 psi
2) DEATSCHWERK Injectors (set of 4) 800cc
3) WALBRO Fuel Pump
4) SARD Fuel Pressure Regulator
5) ATP downpipe (no wastegate)

There is not that much lag and the thing pulls like mad especially in third and i love forth

loads of popping out the back end (sounds like its eaten a load of bad eggs)

overall LOVING it... but my questions are:
1)Are the figures good?
2)Why is it that some people use WHP, BHP and mine is HP
3)I noticed a post on the gt3076r (hiboost) obviously the turbo is a lot smaller compared to hiboost but are the figures similar in comparison
Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails Garrett GT3071r on the Dimsport Dyno WORKING!!! (evo x)-dyno.jpg  

Last edited by mrpaddlepop; Aug 10, 2009 at 04:41 AM. Reason: 1
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good to see that the numbers improved over stock, and for only being 23.6 psi peak boost you are barely tapping into the potential it can deliver. It also looks like there is almost no increase in lag, although that may have been due to Mivec tuning.

Here is a handy tool for quickly looking up Horsepower figures and what 1/4 times they might bring based on weight:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...alculator.html

Looks like your Dyno sheets are closer to ~10% losses so I changed the multiplier in my spreadsheet from 1.20 to 1.10 in the E column (DynoJet) so that it would match up to your numbers and you could compare them more directly to crank HP numbers as well as my STM WHP numbers.

Standard - 266.3hp = 292 Crank HP (223 WHP STM Mustang Dyno)

Engine mods before turbo - 330.7hp = 364 Crank HP (277 WHP STM Mustang Dyno)

Turbo mods - 377.4hp = 415 Crank HP (317 WHP STM Mustang Dyno)

For comparison:

At 24 psi tapering to 22 psi my car was ~443 Crank HP (339 WHP STM Mustang Dyno)

Once I turned up the boost to 26.5 psi tapering to 24.5 psi with better tuning I got to ~505 Crank HP (386 WHP STM Mustang Dyno)

So overall I would say for the limited amount of mods, you are right where you should be. Your first order of business should be a better Front Mount Intercooler and piping to go with it so that you could safely turn up the boost for multiple runs with no heat soaking. Then you could turn up the boost 2-3 psi and consider some turbo headers and/or cams and you would really start to move some air through the engine! You could likely manage low 12's @ 113 mph as it stands now, enjoy the power!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:34 AM

Hiboost - thanks for the informative post (as usual! ), greatly appreciate it!!!

Intercooler and piping are what the tuners too haha but they also reckon that i can add the external ATP wastegate as shown below, would it make a lot of difference?

The other day i was "driving" the car on a long 400km drive and the check engine light came on (pretty scared) but today the light has gone. The car seems to be driving normal and its booked in for a check later this week, is it something to panic about?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrpaddlepop
2)Why is it that some people use WHP, BHP and mine is HP
USA dyno measure only wheel horsepower (WHP), the Dimsport dyno sum wheel horsepower with estimated dissipated HP from tyre and trasmission (coastdown deceleration) to determine the engine horsepower.
So your number is engine power (and seems a bit low).

I don't think that you need the external ATP wastegate, is the boost constant or taper at high?

Last edited by eTiLiKo; Aug 10, 2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:38 AM
Account Disabled

Nice numbers I no that car feels good 4th gear..hiboost is also a good guy
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the stock exhaust elbow coming of the turbo is a major restriction. It makes a sharp 90 degree turn off the turbo and necks down to about 55mm inner diameter IIRC.

So you were able to go to a bigger turbo with a good elbow/downpipe combo and keep the same spool!

Your dyno in Europe is quite interesting compared to ours in the US. Here, we measuring only horsepower at the wheel. Looking at your dyno, it does it at the wheel/tyre, calculates dissipated power on a coast down i assume, and backs out horsepower at the engine. There's corrected engine horsepower rating based on some DIN (read: European, as opposed to US SAE standard) standard.

31.4 degrees C? That's hot for the UK!

I noticed you are running wider tires than stock too, well, according to the dyno sheet

Oh yeah, what type of fuel are you using? It seems to be relatively low octane as even the corrected stock HP is only 274 crank hp. Are the cars rated a little lower in the UK or is it just the fuel? They are rated at 291 crank here in the US. If it's lower octane fuel, then the car might just be pulling some timing.

Last edited by spdracerut; Aug 10, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eTiLiKo
USA dyno measure only wheel horsepower (WHP), the Dimsport dyno sum wheel horsepower with estimated dissipated HP from tyre and trasmission (coastdown deceleration) to determine the engine horsepower.
So your number is engine power (and seems a bit low).

I don't think that you need the external ATP wastegate, is the boost constant or taper at high?
Yeah I was assuming that the stock run at 266 HP was about 10% lower than the typical 292 crank HP numbers that the car is rated at. This still lets you compare gains from stock, and while it seems low, if you look at the numbers I layed out it seems to be responding similar to an FP Red or Dominator 2 on pump gas so far. ~110 HP gains on those mods so far at that boost level isn't that shabby.

I would also look at that Downpipe as well since it adds in a nice external wastegate option for more precise boost control. Really i think it's just a few mods and pounds of boost away from coming within 25-50 crank HP of my numbers. They do rate the 3071 at 475 HP and 3076 at 525 HP as a rough output based on the turbo flow rates. Obviously mods will alter the max potential of these setups as I know cams are going to push me above that HP level without even trying.

Last edited by Hiboost; Aug 10, 2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
Evolving Member

I say "a bit low" because one of the first EVO X tuned here in Italy gave +55HP and +84Nm with only ecutek tune and +95HP with exhaust and ecutek tune.
Flywheel horsepower with the same type of dyno
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

I do have to admit, the potential from just tuning alone is huge on the Evo X's.

I bet if he had all the same mods as me with just the turbo being smaller, we could see 450-475 Crank HP at the same boost levels.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:07 PM

eTiLiKo - "is the boost constant or taper at high?" - I'm not too sure haha i dont even know what the difference is?

spdracerut - The car is a Japanese import and as far as wikipedia quotes they are released at 276hp. I'm currently in South East Asia so the weather is very hot out here which is a shame really as i would love to test the car in cold weather. For the dyno runs we were using Shell Formula 98 petrol.

Hiboost - As the car is rated a little lower, does that mean that the 10% calculation is invalid
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrpaddlepop

Hiboost - As the car is rated a little lower, does that mean that the 10% calculation is invalid
I'm not convinced the Evo X has less HP in other markets, are there any links on the web noting that? It could be that they are rated at 292 HP (US) and 276 HP with some alternate method of measurement. I've also seen in the past that they claim the HP is lower for insurance/safety reasons when the cars are actually identical to other markets, just less HP stated in the brochures. Many cars from Japan in the past have maxxed out 276 HP for some reason, I'll see if I can dig up a link.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Cars in Japan are usually rated with PS, which is the German standard. 1 PS = 0.98632 hp SAE.

There was the old gentlemens agreement or whatever that no car was rated over 280PS back in the day in Japan. 300zx twin turbo, Supra, 3000GT, Skyline, they were all rated at 280PS. But the new Nissan GTR did away with that.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Cars in Japan are usually rated with PS, which is the German standard. 1 PS = 0.98632 hp SAE.

There was the old gentlemens agreement or whatever that no car was rated over 280PS back in the day in Japan. 300zx twin turbo, Supra, 3000GT, Skyline, they were all rated at 280PS. But the new Nissan GTR did away with that.
Ahhh, I should have googled it a bit, it really was a "gentleman's agreement" to limit reported HP levels. I would have to say that the Evo X is the same HP worldwide, I can't even imagine it being detuned another 15 HP from the stock US tune. Could it really be made richer or forced to run lower boost?