Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo 10 MR + Dom2 + ETS Tubular Mani

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SE preforming the boost leak did not cause your turbo to fail.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 11:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckP
SE preforming the boost leak did not cause your turbo to fail.
Figured as much, and that makes the most logical sense. I just really wanted to see if anyone had herd of this ever happening. I put no blame on SE as they are good friends of mine, and Dev was doing me a favor. Im just a bit bummed and really not looking forward to the bill that will most likely be attached to this.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

^When I installed my dom. 2 I removed the exhaust housing and clocked it a little to avoid the clamp hitting the oil feed. After the install I felt crazy boost surges and saw a huge cloud of smoke. I then removed the turbo and found the seals exposed, I pushed them back in and reinstalled turbo. I went to the track later that week and ran an 11.8, hopefully its just the seals and they get it back to you shortly.
Old Dec 25, 2009, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dkstas
^When I installed my dom. 2 I removed the exhaust housing and clocked it a little to avoid the clamp hitting the oil feed. After the install I felt crazy boost surges and saw a huge cloud of smoke. I then removed the turbo and found the seals exposed, I pushed them back in and reinstalled turbo. I went to the track later that week and ran an 11.8, hopefully its just the seals and they get it back to you shortly.
Didnt install my turbo so Im not sure if this could have been the case. Good insight though, and I will keep this in mind when and if the Blouch goes back in.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Thought id share a little fun and exciting fact(s) about my DOM 2:

DOM 2=$1200 (thats being gracious...)
Complete Gaskets (If you remove gaskets...IMHO are one time use, as I've already had an issue with the turbo, don't want to find out 5000 miles down the road I have and exhaust leak) = $140
Install of TURBO & Mani= $500
Tune= $1XX (Bryan hooking it up, and I'll probably have you re-tune the car if the dom 2 goes back in, just to make sure its all good)
Removal of Bad Turbo= $500
Rebuild DOM 2= $300
Reinstallment of DOM 2 and Mani= $500 (and im sure thats being nice on Dev's part)
Shipping Both ways = $75

Total cost of this turbo to make 30+whp= $3300+ (thats well over a $100 a WHP! OUCH!)

The look on my face once my finance sees the bills..."PRICELESS!"

Guess the saying is true, you have to pay to play...in my case this is the most expensive turbo I have ever owned...
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

^So they are charging you for the rebuild?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dkstas
^So they are charging you for the rebuild?
Haven't said yet, though my gut feeling is they will...Im just praying its just the seals and nothing more. So the total price could be +or-100 dollars.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Some news I'm starting to find out.

X's no likey likey boost leak tests above 15psi. Guess the system just can handle it (not sure why). Another guy is having identical issues that I am having. Guess the boost leak test ends up creating too much stress on the seals and pushes oil through the turbo seals (or that is what we are kinda of guessing).

Anyone else herd about this? We ran (i believe a 30psi test). Sucks for us X's guys when it comes to trying to physically find a boost leak.

This is from an alt evo enthusiast site EE:

Delkat:
Have problems with my X. Did a boost leak test (to 30psi) and now the turbo is leaking oil internally. No smoke until any small load is applied then white/blue oil smoke everywhere. Is there a seal/o-ring that can get displaced when pressure is applied? There is no external leak but definitely something going on internally.

Now I need to figure out if it's drivable or if it needs to be towed and the turbo disassembled..............

This sucks. I've done boost leak tests before with no issues.

Last edited by HR2L; Dec 27, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

i'm sorry you had all this trouble... Don't give up.... You shouldn't have to pay as it's fault based on the product right?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by philamthebest
i'm sorry you had all this trouble... Don't give up.... You shouldn't have to pay as it's fault based on the product right?
Im hoping they do, and they should. Well see how good Blouch really is.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by HR2L
Some news I'm starting to find out.

X's no likey likey boost leak tests above 15psi. Guess the system just can handle it (not sure why). Another guy is having identical issues that I am having. Guess the boost leak test ends up creating too much stress on the seals and pushes oil through the turbo seals (or that is what we are kinda of guessing).

Anyone else herd about this? We ran (i believe a 30psi test). Sucks for us X's guys when it comes to trying to physically find a boost leak.
Very very odd....... In general, a 'piston ring' is the 'seal' used on both the turbine and compressor sides. A boost leak test will apply pressure on the compressor side piston ring.

This is the only thing I can think of: the piston ring does 'break-in'. It kinda wears itself into the center housing and takes a final shape, I guess you could say. So now the piston ring fits with the center housing in a certain way.

The pressure test may dislodge the piston ring away from the center housing and now it's not mated up properly, allowing oil to leak by on the compressor side. Is there oil all in your IC piping and IC?

This is purely spectulation on my part as I've never heard of this problem before; but it's the best hypothesis I can come up with.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Very very odd....... In general, a 'piston ring' is the 'seal' used on both the turbine and compressor sides. A boost leak test will apply pressure on the compressor side piston ring.

This is the only thing I can think of: the piston ring does 'break-in'. It kinda wears itself into the center housing and takes a final shape, I guess you could say. So now the piston ring fits with the center housing in a certain way.

The pressure test may dislodge the piston ring away from the center housing and now it's not mated up properly, allowing oil to leak by on the compressor side. Is there oil all in your IC piping and IC?

This is purely spectulation on my part as I've never heard of this problem before; but it's the best hypothesis I can come up with.
Huh, good thought. Seeing as my DOM 2 had very little miles/break in time maybe the stress of the boost leak test caused the seal to shift or deform because it hadn't actually broke in/seated itself correctly by that point. Though I still would consider this a flaw in the compressor side design from MHI and the X's turbo. The seals should be able to handle that type of pressure.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

So just got news from Blouch about my turbo...

The turbo checked out to be OK...so now were really stumped about what could be the issue. The car has less the 8500 miles on it, has never been launched or abused (hell Bryan tunning it was about as hard as it has ever been run). I was actually really hoping it was something wrong with the turbo, have it rebuilt or repaired then shipped back and whola back in business.

Guess that will not be the case. Really baffled as is Dev (owner of Speed Element) about what could be causing my car to burn oil when I get on boost. Like I said in previous posts, the car was driving perfect, no issues...made great power (other then bryan for some reason had to run an abnormal amount of WGA Duty cycle to keep it making power which lead us to the possibility that Ii had a Boost Leak somewhere in the system, hence why I had a boost leak test preformed). Went to have a boost leak test, and thats when all the sheit started hitting the fan.

Really hoping its not something major...

Any thoughts guys on what it could be.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
It might be PCV system related. Does the tube going to from the PCV to the intake have oil in it?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

were looking at that, im really hoping thats the case, like the PCV valve has failed. I remember my 05 STI had that issue...

Quick Reply: Evo 10 MR + Dom2 + ETS Tubular Mani