Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Harmon Motive intake for Evo X tuned by TTP!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harmon Motive intake for Evo X tuned by TTP!

Preston had contacted us via phone regarding getting his new Evo X GSR tuned at TTP. His only modification at the time of the call was a Harmon Motive Intake system and a CEL light. Concerned with the CEL code for system to lean bank 1 we advised him that conical intakes on a enlarged maf housing need to be retuned immediately after install. The enlarged housing will reduce the MAF reading at idle which will cause short term fuel trims to drift into -% which will carry over to the long term fuel trims and can affect not only idle and cruise, but also wide open throttle.

Preston brought his car in and we put it on the lift to swap out his downpipe and install our wideband sensor for precise measurement on the dyno. Once we got the rollers spinning, boost peaked at 24.1psi on the intake and DP and car put down 280-288whp with non-linear delivery.

Once the car was tuned with our MIVEC mapping, ignition timing, boost and fueling we were able to extract 326whp with a tire spinning 344tq to the wheels.

Quartermile testing revealed in third and 4th gear power would peak in the 333-338whp range in non single gear pulls. Car is expected to trap 109-110mph based on our testing.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow very nice numbers! Can't wait till I tune my car with all my mods (include the HM intake)
Old Jan 11, 2010, 07:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrat on the new power
Old Jan 12, 2010, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So did the HM intake help out or did it basically render the same WHP as if the stock intake were still installed?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering

Preston had contacted us via phone regarding getting his new Evo X GSR tuned at TTP. His only modification at the time of the call was a Harmon Motive Intake system and a CEL light. Concerned with the CEL code for system to lean bank 1 we advised him that conical intakes on a enlarged maf housing need to be retuned immediately after install. The enlarged housing will reduce the MAF reading at idle which will cause short term fuel trims to drift into -% which will carry over to the long term fuel trims and can affect not only idle and cruise, but also wide open throttle.
This is the first time I hear of an intake on an Evo X that makes the trims drift negative. I have tested several including:

Cosworth drop in
HKS drop-in
Works Drop-in
AEM
AGP
AMS
HKS
Injen
ETS

All of them made the trims go positive. When an intake is installed on an Evo X the trims go positive after the car is driven for a while. The AFR then becomes RICHER and not leaner as you suggested.

Maybe the Harman intake is different and it makes the trims go negative. I have not tested that intake. In ALL the other ones that i have tested the trims were positive. I make it a point to drive Evo Xs with intakes at a steady speed for at least 30 minutes to see where the cruise trims end up. the trims ALWAYS end up positive. Not once have I logged the trims on an Evo X with an intake at steady speed and had the trims go negative.

Again, maybe this intake is different, but I do not think so.