Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

4ws Tuning review

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4ws Tuning review

I had previously been tuned twice by Mellon. I was always happy with Chris and this is in no way intended to down him, nor take away from his ability so I will put that right out there.

I contacted Chris about getting tuned again, but that I wanted to use my 3 port... Chris said he just didn't have the time right now. I don't think they are doing 3 port tuning much... or perhaps they are working on some different stuff. What works for them has been working, so he kindly said he would have to pass.

This left me contacting a couple of tuners. Tamer from 4wstuning.com was the one I had decided on. The price was good, and my parts guy had very highly recommended him to me.

My previous best was 330/330 with Mellon, so I was out to see how much more I could get with the 3 port, going from using a green performance panel filter to an AGP true CAI and a Synapse BOV (previously using a Perrin).

We quickly got to work and after the few "safe tunes" the numbers quickly jumped up to 342. Tamer felt quite confident to get me to the mid 360's and maybe to 370. I wasn't crossing my fingers for that much though.

The next map was not so successful, and after going trying several runs, the power was just not coming up anymore. Tamer assured me I had a leak. Any tuner who has tuned hundreds of cars knows what to look for when it comes to a boost leak. All connections were even double worm clamped... I thought he was wrong honestly, but I went along. He told me to get some good clamps and email him when I had gotten them on and recommended a boost leak test. I did both and there were no more leaks

After a few days of heavy rain we got back to it.... well Tamer was right... the car on the same map now produced 346 hp. By looking at the log he said "we're back in business". Each map after that only went up... the next now hitting 355 whp, but it was the last map that gave me the biggest shock...

I get in 3rd and nail the gas... slow back down after hitting around 7800 rpm or so. I turn the car around and run it again. When I got back I loaded the excel file into the dyno... I now had 370 on an uphill slope first rung and 381 on the down with 0 knock! These are VERY mild slopes, but to be fair I included.

I send Tamer the numbers... he doesn't seem very surprised and says ok, give me a 1st-4th pull. I go out and check all clamps one more time... all seems good and ready to go. I head out and start my logging. I assume that the run will produce high 360's because of going up and because of the previous 370 run.

What did it produce instead?

Finally we are ready for the drag run. I go out, make sure all clamps are fully tightened and then head out.

First gear throws basically everything out my glove box (I leave it open to keep the laptop from getting thrown into the floor) but I just keep right on going with it. 2nd, 3rd, 4th, finally I slow down and think... man that felt like I got there REALLY fast... how did it turn out?

With this run being on the UPHILL part of the road the final numbers are...

I was totally shocked... this is with very few mods and not many of them "power" type mods.... they are:

UR UICP
ETS 4"IC
Grimmspeed 3 port (great guys over there)
TurboXS TBE
AGP True CAI
Synapse BOV
Innovate WB02

In closing I will say that I am indeed very pleased with this tune. Tamer is a true professional and I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend his services... I am confident you will be shocked with the numbers that you can get with him.

Thanks Tamer and 4wstuning!!!

Last edited by Methodical4u; Nov 3, 2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1...he really know his stuff...he the only tuner that tuned my car...he tuned my evo 8 before and now my evo x...but lately i couldnt get a hold of him...he probably too busy so i'll just wait...highly recommended
Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KcEvil8
+1...he really know his stuff...he the only tuner that tuned my car...he tuned my evo 8 before and now my evo x...but lately i couldnt get a hold of him...he probably too busy so i'll just wait...highly recommended
Most definitely, with my mods I don't see how how much more power could safely be extracted from the car. 382 on pump with just a few bolt ons? lol Yeah not bad if you ask me.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:08 PM

4ws does do awesome work! Congrats on the numbers BTW, they seem pretty impressive for what you have done to the car.

Mike
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice numbers
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Amazing numbers. I think that's the highest bolt-on X i've seen without E-85.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by glomb23
Amazing numbers. I think that's the highest bolt-on X i've seen without E-85.
That's always good to hear lol.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Tamer is a excellant tuner and gives great deals
Old Nov 4, 2010, 04:50 PM

good stuff, car just keeps getting better and better.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1slwevo
good stuff, car just keeps getting better and better.
makes me wonder with an FPred and cams what kind of power he could get out of it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
makes me wonder with an FPred and cams what kind of power he could get out of it.
i wouldnt mind being the one to find that part out ^^
Old Nov 4, 2010, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Any chance you'll go to the track and back the 380whp up with some trap speeds? 380 is a little unbelievable on pump.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by futurevowner
Any chance you'll go to the track and back the 380whp up with some trap speeds? 380 is a little unbelievable on pump.
considering letting my friend take it to phili and see what it looks like at the track... apparently pinks is going to be there and all that, so I may be able to post some numbers.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by futurevowner
It is very high I agree... the thing about my car is that is LOVES higher boost... I can run boost up to 29 or even 30 psi with 0 knock... maybe that's all Evo's... I don't know much about the tuning aspect of things. I have had Golden tell me the car runs quite well with higher boost as well, but yeah, I don't mind people questioning the numbers... just keep in mind that pretty much EVERYONE is losing boost who doesn't tighten their clamps and that's likely one of the biggest losses of power out of all Evo's out there, you just simply really shouldn't be using any worm clamps... I can almost gurantee that you will make huge jumps in power by simply doing that.

Last edited by Methodical4u; Nov 4, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Tamer is the best. We've tuned two different setups so far. My current setup which made 480hp doing 11.5-11.7 @123-125 60+ times down the track without a hiccup on bone stock motor/trans/clutch/pump gas

Quick Reply: 4ws Tuning review