Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Evo X red Stock cams

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Evo X red Stock cams

Wesley brought us his Evo X with a dream of making 400whp+. The plan was formulated to use a Red he had purchased and make as much as possible on 92 octane without meth. In the few months that the original owner had pulled the turbo some of the things that seem to have been working against us, the DBW primarily, had been ironed out. Le, the last owner, had ran 30psi and meth to make 420.

Mod list was very simple-

FP Red
FIC 900s
ETS intercooler
Unknown dual exhaust (TBE) could be any 3" really though
Piping
Hallman MBC

Now that the car made 427, we have pulled the head and are going to port it and install GSC S2X/springs to see where we can get this car to go on straight pumpgas. We even tried switching to an AP to see if there was any benefit (hidden maps if you will) and low and behold nada.

There are one or two weird things I cant explain like the dip in boost right after peak boost that made the "misfire" shaped dip. Timing helped the dip some but it didnt make sense to me why the boost dropped like that. MIVEC changes didnt help, timing was minimal, it was just kind of there.

aaron
Old Dec 14, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is pretty much exactly what im doing and i pray for similar results. good job tuning...too bad you guys are across the country
I know this is on stock cams...but damn thats fast spool.

Last edited by Wht9er; Dec 14, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Very curious as to how you made all that torque. I have a similar set-up but with the GSC S2's and made the numbers in my sig. Granted it was only on 25psi and over 100 degrees in the dyno room but still.

My graph to show the difference the S2's made.

Old Dec 14, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

+1
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

MIVEC and boost go a long way. Some of it is knock feedback, possibly when you were tuned it was being inconsistent and they had to leave timing low? I am not sure to be honest but it was about where I would expect it to be if this were an 8 or 9 for the boost and turbo.

When this car gets the S2Xs it will be interesting to see what changes I need to make in the MIVEC to utilise the camshafts potential.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice power outta that setup for sure.

The early spool with this setup is probably what is causing the higher torque, there is a bit of a spike there that should be taken into account but overall its still roughly 400wtq. They are running 28psi though, so I would expect quite a bit of torque.

Really only two things dictate torque (well mainly) on our cars...spool time and boost level. So the earlier you spool and the higher the psi the more torque The key is to hold that torque
Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah the 409 is not very flat compared to the 370-371 on the other car. The other thing is this car is spooling about 300-400 rpm sooner and is running more boost. The way the torque peak is on the car I would be curious to see what the MIVEC and timing are doing.

I'll look for one of the smoother graphs and get an average torque across the rpm range vs the other car. Early power is early power though and it can mean a fender at the track thats hard to get back by the end of the straight.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Definitely interesting numbers, especially the tq like noted. Granted you're at 28psi, but I'm wondering why I made 424whp at 25psi on a Green with stock cams?? I guess I just expected the red to make a little more power than a green even though I'm on 93 octane. Not sure how big a difference that makes honestly though.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

3* of timing (in the VIII/IX) is what I have noticed and that adds up. Not sure exactly how much it is in the X, but I do know the difference is at least that in Cali 91 to WA/OR 92. Curious where your power peak was? Our HTA Green testing has only been on MRs but they were pumping out between 387 and 397 at the same boost level on 92 octane.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what gear was this in?

If 3rd, that's damn good spool for a red!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the spool looked uber fast as well...but then I looked back at my FPred w/ cossie cams and it was basically the same, 20ish psi by about 3400...mine might have been slightly slower but the 100rpm difference is easily attributable to cams. Still great spool

Surprised though in a sense as I was on E85 and this car is on pump and it seems to be a big debate if E85 helps spool...I have seen that it does locally but who knows, so regardless this spool is very good. Stock cams ftw.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26
I thought the spool looked uber fast as well...but then I looked back at my FPred w/ cossie cams and it was basically the same, 20ish psi by about 3400...mine might have been slightly slower but the 100rpm difference is easily attributable to cams. Still great spool

Surprised though in a sense as I was on E85 and this car is on pump and it seems to be a big debate if E85 helps spool...I have seen that it does locally but who knows, so regardless this spool is very good. Stock cams ftw.
Exactly, that is why I believe this to be a 4th gear pull..

4th gear pull on 92-93 should be roughly the same as 3rd gear pull on E85, at least that's my understanding.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Wesley brought us his Evo X with a dream of making 400whp+. The plan was formulated to use a Red he had purchased and make as much as possible on 92 octane without meth. In the few months that the original owner had pulled the turbo some of the things that seem to have been working against us, the DBW primarily, had been ironed out. Le, the last owner, had ran 30psi and meth to make 420.

Mod list was very simple-

FP Red
FIC 900s
ETS intercooler
Unknown dual exhaust (TBE) could be any 3" really though
Piping
Hallman MBC

Now that the car made 427, we have pulled the head and are going to port it and install GSC S2X/springs to see where we can get this car to go on straight pumpgas. We even tried switching to an AP to see if there was any benefit (hidden maps if you will) and low and behold nada.

There are one or two weird things I cant explain like the dip in boost right after peak boost that made the "misfire" shaped dip. Timing helped the dip some but it didnt make sense to me why the boost dropped like that. MIVEC changes didnt help, timing was minimal, it was just kind of there.

aaron

Looks like someone will be clutch shopping soon!!! Nice job on the Tune Aaron!!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
3* of timing (in the VIII/IX) is what I have noticed and that adds up. Not sure exactly how much it is in the X, but I do know the difference is at least that in Cali 91 to WA/OR 92. Curious where your power peak was? Our HTA Green testing has only been on MRs but they were pumping out between 387 and 397 at the same boost level on 92 octane.
Here is my dyno just for reference. Note that it is on a GSR though.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Maybe I missed it, but what gear was this in?

If 3rd, that's damn good spool for a red!
It is in fact 3rd, I spend lots of time on MIVEC. Maybe I'm not known for it with the Xs but the IX is where I started with I'd be curious to see uncorrected and smoothing 5 so we can keep them comparable.

aaron

Quick Reply: Evo X red Stock cams