Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

2011 Evo X Tune- Mustang Dyno

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2011, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Evo X Tune- Mustang Dyno

Yesterday we had the chance to tune another 2011 Evo X from one of our long time customers.

This car was a little finicky to tune but it gives us a good perspective of what to expect with the 2011. Now that we have done a couple we have a pretty solid base mapping for these cars to make good power. This one came out pretty good so i thought I would share it.

Modifications:
93 Octane
24psi
AMS CAI
AMS UICP
AMS FMIC
GS 3 Port BCS
AMS 3 inch exhaust- test pipe

We didnt push the car too hard, just wanted nice repeatable results. I am happy with the way the car came out. The powerband is super usable.

Thanks for looking,

Mitch Mckee
AMS

Last edited by Magnumpsi; Jan 20, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you guys for tuning my car :-) It's weird to have 311 power and 311 torque lol
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well done mitch!

hope all is well!

cb
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers. However, I am little disappointed as a 2011 owner. I am comparing those numbers to my old STi's numbers, which also got tuned on mustang dyno here locally, with only tbe, intake, ewg @21psi. She was able to put down 300whp 350wtq.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

very nice.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoX-11
Nice numbers. However, I am little disappointed as a 2011 owner. I am comparing those numbers to my old STi's numbers, which also got tuned on mustang dyno here locally, with only tbe, intake, ewg @21psi. She was able to put down 300whp 350wtq.
Apples and oranges due to different cars, dynos, and tune. Plus I believe the older STI's (not sure how much change in new ones?) pushed what.... 13psi or so stock, which means a significant jump in boost? An how conservative of a tune will make a difference as well.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummm, not to mention the more torque due to an extra 25% displacement...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slo4g63
Apples and oranges due to different cars, dynos, and tune. Plus I believe the older STI's (not sure how much change in new ones?) pushed what.... 13psi or so stock, which means a significant jump in boost? An how conservative of a tune will make a difference as well.
I figured someone would bring "apples and oranges" up.

I am well aware of the variables involved. I was just disappointed since the reason that most of the members here go with Evo over STi, is the mod to power ratio. A lot cheaper(!) to make power with Evo than it is with STi. And this is not the case here which is pretty disappointing on my side. Heck, this Evo even have more mods; bigger front mount, uicp and boost controller.

BTW STi comes with 14.5psi stock. You must have confused by WRX.

Last edited by EvoX-11; Jan 20, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by philamthebest
Thank you guys for tuning my car :-) It's weird to have 311 power and 311 torque lol
Glad that you like it! Very nice car indeed.

well done mitch!

hope all is well!

cb
Thanks Chad!

As has been mentioned there are a lot of variables. All Mustang dynos dont read the same so trying to compare numbers between two seperate Mustangs is useless.

very nice.
Thanks Gary!

This is not a ragged out, lets see how much power we can make tune. We wanted to take a car that is brand new and give the owner more power,while still keeping it safe. This car has more in it for sure with more boost and timing, but we kept it lower. Honestly a balance of HP and TQ is nice as it makes a car a lot of fun to drive.

Thanks guys,

Mitch M
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said before the fact you added 7psi over stock to the STI is a huge factor and also you seem to continue to forget that is has an extra .5L of displacement.

Also this car as mitch has said is pretty conservative at 24psi...the stock evos run anywhere from 21-23psi stock so its still damn near stock boost levels.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

What I tell others when choosing between the two cars -

If you will stay close to stock (BPU'd), STI may be the choice for all out power. But if you start going in the direction of APU, then the EVO gets the better bang for the buck.

Handling right out of the box, if you want to goto a road course, the EVO will dominate.

Anyways, sorry for being off-topic, congrats to the owner of the car, given the tuner's skills, I am sure this is exactly what it was meant to be, a fun and safely tuned car.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoX-11
I figured someone would bring "apples and oranges" up.

I am well aware of the variables involved. I was just disappointed since the reason that most of the members here go with Evo over STi, is the mod to power ratio. A lot cheaper(!) to make power with Evo than it is with STi. And this is not the case here which is pretty disappointing on my side. Heck, this Evo even have more mods; bigger front mount, uicp and boost controller.

BTW STi comes with 14.5psi stock. You must have confused by WRX.
As similar as they are, they are two very different cars. The extra half a liter of displacement and completely different ICE design should show significant changes between the two. In general, averaged across all tuners and safety margins, it has always seemed like the cars were very similar in power output. 40 wtq is nothing to write off, however area under the curve is significantly more important than max hp numbers, and we all know that different dynos (even from the same manufacturer) yield different results.

The interesting thing that I gather from most car magazines (though I don't generally put much weight in them) is that the evo has always, and still does, handled better. From what I hear from many of the tuning guys, they have to do some pretty wacky stuff in the tune to get that power, and it is not always (read:regularly) as reliable as the evo when tuned.

I love my and I'm sticking with it!

Now off the Evo vs Sti debate thats been run over and beaten to death... and back on the topic at hand.... Looks like an awesome powerband. Have you guys messed with the low load timing at all or do you leave that stock? I've heard its much higher on the 2011.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah we had to mess with it a bit. It is a bit higher, but this car would knock a bit on partial throttle at first, so we had to massage some of the closed loop to open loop transitions a bit. Timing did have to come down in those areas for sure.

Mitch
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

I thought 19psi was the stock boost level from factory for Evo? If it is 22psi like you said that will change a lot of course. Anyways, I am pretty sure car is a blast to drive.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
As similar as they are, they are two very different cars. The extra half a liter of displacement and completely different ICE design should show significant changes between the two. In general, averaged across all tuners and safety margins, it has always seemed like the cars were very similar in power output. 40 wtq is nothing to write off, however area under the curve is significantly more important than max hp numbers, and we all know that different dynos (even from the same manufacturer) yield different results.

The interesting thing that I gather from most car magazines (though I don't generally put much weight in them) is that the evo has always, and still does, handled better. From what I hear from many of the tuning guys, they have to do some pretty wacky stuff in the tune to get that power, and it is not always (read:regularly) as reliable as the evo when tuned.

I love my and I'm sticking with it!

Now off the Evo vs Sti debate thats been run over and beaten to death... and back on the topic at hand.... Looks like an awesome powerband. Have you guys messed with the low load timing at all or do you leave that stock? I've heard its much higher on the 2011.
I perfectly understand you. I am not debating or trying to bash the tune, just stating that I was expecting whole a lot more on the horsepower side.

Quick Reply: 2011 Evo X Tune- Mustang Dyno